Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I do IF (intermittent fasting) as well as a low carb approach. It is "defacto" Keto, even though I some days eat 40-50g of total carbs, my net (minus fiber) may be between 25-30g net carbs. I can assure you I am in ketosis. :) I do keep my fat lower cuz I don't tolerate it very well right now.

I met 1st goal (150lbs) at 8.5 months and am 9lbs away from 2nd goal. I hope to reach that in about 30-45 days. Then beyond to Goal #3 which will be end goal and I don't know where that will end up. I hope somewhere around 125-130lbs. I eat about 2 meals per day, sometimes 1, sometimes 2 meals + small snack.< /span>

Here was yesterday's plan. It was whacky. I normally have way more veg on there and usually have a daily salad, but I'd fasted for 39hours the day before and was very hungry for fat and protein--so I ate it:

image.thumb.png.b75bca683df1cc6dec356c21a2c5fcbd.png

I'm very sedentary due to physical problems and living in or near ketosis makes a big difference in my life. I feel better and have lots fewer food cravings. I've lost 160 pounds with the lapband, and have about 100 more to go.

Because of my physical weakness, I can't do much cooking. If I wasn't careful, I would buy Cookies, crackers, candy and ice cream to fill my belly. Ready made food is so much easier.

Here is my basic meal plan.Right now I am limiting my carb intake to about 50 carbs a day. For Breakfast I have a Protein Shake made with milk. (I have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, cookies and cream and cinnamon bun flavored protein). lunch time is a hearty salad--lots of greens, cucumber, bell pepper, mushrooms, avocado, and occasionally artichoke hearts. I often add some cheese. I use a low carb dressing. For dinner, I have a source of protein--chicken, hamburger,eggs or something similar. I often mix it with veggies, like adding onion, celery, pickles and garlic to make a chicken salad, or cooking it with onions,garlic, mushrooms, peppers, squash, tomatoes or eggplant. With my Protein dish, I have a cooked vegetable--often cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, or artichoke hearts with cheese. If I get hungry later in the evening, I will have another protein shake or I will whip up 1/2 cup of cream, and when it gets soft peaks, I add a scoop of Protein Powder and mix it in. That sometimes puts me just over my limit, but not enough to cause a problem.

I lived this way for five years, and lost most of my weight in those years. I suddenly lost control, craving sweets like they would be removed from the planet tomorrow. I believe this is when my cancer was growing fast, but didn't realize I had it. Once the surgery removed my cancer, it took a while to get back to eating right, but I wasn't to lose weight because of the chemo.

Now I am once again living the low carb life, and I like how I feel

Mindwing -- such a rollercoaster you have been through!! But good for you for getting through it and back on track. You are an inspiration!

8 hours ago, mindwing said:

I'm very sedentary due to physical problems and living in or near ketosis makes a big difference in my life. I feel better and have lots fewer food cravings. I've lost 160 pounds with the lapband, and have about 100 more to go.

Because of my physical weakness, I can't do much cooking. If I wasn't careful, I would buy Cookies, crackers, candy and ice cream to fill my belly. Ready made food is so much easier.

Here is my basic meal plan.Right now I am limiting my carb intake to about 50 carbs a day. For Breakfast I have a Protein Shake made with milk. (I have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry,cookies and cream and cinnamon bun flavored protein). lunch time is a hearty salad--lots of greens, cucumber, bell pepper, mushrooms, avocado, and occasionally artichoke hearts. I often add some cheese. I use a low carb dressing. For dinner, I have a source of protein--chicken, hamburger,eggs or something similar. I often mix it with veggies, like adding onion, celery, pickles and garlic to make a chicken salad, or cooking it with onions,garlic, mushrooms, peppers, squash, tomatoes or eggplant. With my Protein dish, I have a cooked vegetable--often cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, or artichoke hearts with cheese. If I get hungry later in the evening, I will have another Protein shake or I will whip up 1/2 cup of cream, and when it gets soft peaks, I add a scoop of Protein Powder and mix it in. That sometimes puts me just over my limit, but not enough to cause a problem.

I lived this way for five years, and lost most of my weight in those years. I suddenly lost control, craving sweets like they would be removed from the planet tomorrow. I believe this is when my cancer was growing fast, but didn't realize I had it. Once the surgery removed my cancer, it took a while to get back to eating right, but I wasn't to lose weight because of the chemo.

Now I am once again living the low carb life, and I like how I feel

What a trooper and way to inspire us all lady!!! ((hugs)) On your struggles and challenges. I know as you lose even more in the coming year, you will continue to feel better and better. Love your plan!!

Hey, have you considered swapping regular milk for Fairlife Milk (any fat content you want/need)? It has high protein and is lower carb!!! I love it. Also if you're in Texas, Mootopia is basically the same thing. Lower carb. Just spitballing for you!

Congrats on your amazing success and stick-to-it-tiveness!

I live in a small town and milk is fine for me. I sometimes mix it with cream to lower the carbs a bit. I think the only thing we can do is stick to it. If one thing in the Keto diet doesn't work, I try another. We have a choice, find a way that works to lose the weight, or give up and never find success. There are a lot of excuses out there, and I've used them--too busy, too broke, too tired, My disability has taken everything else from me, I'm not giving up this. But they were excuses.

Unfortunately, losing weight has never helped me feel better. I might have lost it sooner if it did. I feel the same, no matter what. I understand that isn't normal. And at my age and health, I just get feeling worse as time goes by. At least I know I'm not getting worse as fast as I could.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:52 AM, mi75 said:

True Keto is very high fat (like >70 grams), moderate carb (30-45 grams) and very low carb (<20) a day. I am 4 years out and have been Keto for a while. My surgeon and docs are all for it, I used this to conquer some regain and also to resolve a health issue.

It is quite different from a 'bariatric' diet. I don't drink milk or eat yogurt anymore, I follow the rules of keto, I eat my macros calculated out for me. They change as my weight goes down. I also incorporate Intermittent Fasting which also has made a huge difference. I will probably eat this way forever. There are tons of resources out there, especially on youtube and there are substitutes for EVERYTHING, but I try to stick to a very basic food list.

where do you get your macros from? which calculator do you use and do you tailor it to yourself?

There are lots of good macro calculators online, I use one from ruled.me because everyone there is helpful. Yes I tailor to my needs. There are some dairy options that I don't do great with related to my surgery so I've cut those out. I keep it pretty straight-on as far as the macros, I occasionally go higher on my Protein but being so far out from surgery, high protein isn't really an issue for me now.

All diets work lol. Not all are the best for everyone but they all work. Simply because they all involve some sort of deficit. Consistency or lack of is what causes us to fail on diets.

I’ve talked to about 4 different nutritionists, none of the recommend Keto. I’ve tried it personally and as appealing as it sounds to eat bacon all day, it wasn’t for me. I felt physically sick and the lack of nutritional balance made it simply a diet, not a lifestyle and not one that i would be willing to stick to. It was just to restrictive.

Plus- no need to eat 75% fat, that is purely to feel satisfied. As log as you cut out carbs and sugars, just junk in general paired with exercise you will lose significant amounts of weight. No gimmicks needed.

I don't know who told you to eat bacon all day--that's not how Keto works. I eat over 4 cups of green veggies every day, I know of other keto dieters who eat more, but the lapband means I can't eat large amounts of food. Breakfast is usually a Protein Drink, made with 1/3 cream, 2/3 Water plus my Protein powder. lunch may be a salad or a low carb veggie, and I might have a piece or two of bacon or a boiled egg in it for added protein and satiety. dinner is a protein dish (always has veggies mixed with the meat, ) and a side of veggies. I sometimes have one or two "fat bombs" which is a fancy way of saying sugar free candy in a bite sized serving--and I mean small bites. Yes, there is a deficit, but when I'm on keto, I don't crave sweets or carbs. I am not tempted by my husbands high carbohydrate foods. It isn't a gimmick. There's lots of science behind why it works and how to do it properly. It isn't for everyone, but please don't look down on those of us it helps.

Also, many people are sick the first week or so of the diet.
Changing from burning carbohydrates to burning fat sometimes takes a bit ot time. But it does pass. It is called the "keto flu"

Edited by mindwing

I didn’t literally mean eat bacon all day smh. I know how Keto works, i know all about the keto flu. If it works for you, cool but it’s not for me.

Also, please keep in mind: how you do keto is not necessarily how others do it. There’s clean keto, lazy keto, dirty keto and strict keto.

For me personally, there is literally no nutritional need to add unnecessary fat period. You can do the exact same thing simply by cutting out carbs and sugars and your body will adapt accordingly. The keto flu is temporary- that is not what i experienced which is why i can’t stand it and that is my choice. My body loves balance and variety, my body loves all veggies and all fruits, and doesn’t like restricting entire food groups. We are just different and that’s fine. Please stop judging me simply because my choice is different from yours. Obviously it’s working for me.

I understand every body is different. I'm sorry it came across as judgemental. I percieved your post as judgemental, and reacted to that. I 'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I totally agree that there are many ways if eating and each body is different. I'm glad you found your way. But it seemed you were putting down my way of eating. There are a lot of variations on Keto now, and some of them are strange. But the main definition of keto is to lower your ketones by giving up carbs. Usually, those carbs are replaced by fat--i.e. cream instead of milk, cooking in a healthy fat instead of just using a nonstick spray, etc.. Some of the ways I hear about keto seem gimmicky, but, (as you said, and I agree,) every body is different. The main thing many people don't realize is that keto is a lifestyle, not just a diet to go on and quit when you reach your goal. Unfortunately, it is hard to make it a lifestyle with so many delicious carbs out there, tempting you--sigh. But it is the only diet that works for me long term, even if I fall off often. One benefit for me is that I never developed diabetes, even though my weight went up (gained a lot of weight due to medications).

Hey hey I’ve been on Keto since surgery 6 months ago. Feeling AMAZING! Ask away

Looking into Keto, but can I just say thank you deeply to keto dieters and their Atkins forebears for the seas of Protein rich products I now get to choose from at the store other than just shakes, powders and meat. When I think what it must have been like in the olden days with no choice and no useful macro nutrition food labelling Thank you for your sacrifices :-)

On a more serious note will be watching this space as always hover at percent Fats/Protein/Carbs roughly 20/35/45 with 750-850 kcal per day and losing c.1kg p.w., but it's VERY early doors and may need to change things up

HW: 263
SW: 255 (21 Jan)
CW: 229

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I am an old timer. I was sleeved January of 2013. I am short at 5’2” and my sw was 205. My lowest weight was February 2014 at 112. I have been up and down since with my highest weight post surgery at 161. I’ve been doing Keto since 1/7/2019 and am back down to 142. I’d like to get down to 125-130. Keto has really helped with the cravings and I don’t worry about calories. I eat lots of eggs, meats, taco salad with lettuce, ground beef, sour cream, salsa, avocado, etc. I always feel full after eating. I also try to skip breakfast and not eat after dinner. Basically I try to do 18:6 fasting where I stop eating at 6:30pm and I don’t eat again until 12:30 the next day. This seems to be helping. I do drink coffee with heavy whipping cream.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, Biloxigirl said:

Basically lower carbs, no sugar, breads, starches things we really eat alot of anyway

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

sOOOO BASICALLY WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING ANYWAY? NO bread, NO Pasta LOL