Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portioning cups question

Hello there , I am doing the final prep for surgery and I am at somewhat of a loss as to what to use for portioning post surgery. I changed doctors due to a move and i can't remember what she suggested for portioning cups, any advice would be great I would like to have everything at home so I can make a smooth/ productive recovery.

Thank you for all suggestions

8 oz in a cup and you’re only supposed to have a half a cup of food to start, but my program’s dietitians have said you need to measure weight and volume, so you’ll also need a scale.

I have a scale, what I am looking for is a portioning cup that holds exact amounts my former nut suggested a perfect one but the doctors office was extremely unfriendly when I changed doctors so I don't want to call and ask lol

*The scale idea sounds like a great double check , thank you i'll remember that when im on solids *

I have 2,4, and 6 ounce cups and child plates from the toddler section

I never thought to look there, this was a very good idea .

Congrats on being so close to goal weight btw

All you need are measuring cups. 1/4 cup is 2 oz and 1/2 cup is 4 oz. Much later, when you’re able to eat that much, 1 cup is 8 oz. All of this is volume, you need to also make sure your food weighs less than 4 oz.

Walmart has a couple of Portion Control kits if you want to get jiggy with things. :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meal-Prep-Haven-7-Piece-Multi-Colored-Color-Coded-Portion-Control-Container-Kit/128151874

They aren't necessarily bariatric, but I was tempted to get them. @abefroman329 has great advice for portions though!

I just use a measuring cup and scale. Then tare (zero out) everything between types of food. I started with 1/4c, then to 1/2c, and now to 1cup. So I also weigh and measure everything that goes down my piehole.

Edited by FluffyChix

Walmart has a couple of [mention=331811]abefroman329[/mention] has great advice for portions though!
I just use a measuring cup and scale. Then tare (zero out) everything between types of food. I started with 1/4c, then to 1/2c, and now to 1cup. So I also weigh and measure everything that goes down my piehole.

What do you do in situations where you eat out? I won’t be able to avoid that.

17 minutes ago, cammarays said:

What do you do in situations where you eat out? I won’t be able to avoid that.

Either stop eating well before you're full or wait till you're comfortable estimating portion size. Breakfast is an easy meal, one egg and one piece of toast. I've eaten out on numerous occasions and haven't had an issue.

I used to take my 1/4 cup measuring cup with me. I would double the serving when eating 1/2c. I'd measure the Protein first. Usually 1oz diced dense protein (by weight) will fit in 1/4cup volume.

Now I just eyeball it using my palm as the 3oz guide and know I won't eat all 3 oz. So I no longer measure when I go out.

But I found a cool thing. Most restaurants will let you order the protein as an addition to a salad. So Mr. F orders his meal and subs for veggies when there are bad carbs involved and his meal usually comes with a side salad.

So I order the grilled chicken or shrimp protein addition (which is only a few bucks) and is usually only about 2-3oz of protein. Then I take about 1oz of veg off his plate and maybe a bite or two of side salad and I know I'm having the right size portion. Then I stop when I'm full. I usually have some leftovers to bring home. :)

Edited by FluffyChix

Either stop eating well before you're full or wait till you're comfortable estimating portion size. Breakfast is an easy meal, one egg and one piece of toast. I've eaten out on numerous occasions and haven't had an issue.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm 3 years out, and still going strong! When I eat out, I just let my pouch do the talking. It has not failed me yet! I look over the menu carefully to see what I can eat and tolerate. I still lean towards soft foods when I eat out, just to be on the safe side. Dumping syndrome is still very real, but I enjoy myself being picky about what I eat! It's cool!