Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to bring to the operation?

Hey fam, I’m doing my operation tomorrow, is there anything that I should bring other than comfy clothes, slippers and my medication? I’m staying for only one night. Any advice as well?

Cpap machine if you use one.

Your own toothbrush/toothpaste cause hospital ones are not pleasant.

A portable phone charger or small extension cord because sometimes the outlets will be taken up by your IV POLE and/or bed.

I am also bringing self cleansing body wipes because after the heart monitors stickers, Betadine and other things on your body, you may feel a little sticky/gross. I am also bringing face wipes.

Biotene because you will experience extreme dry mouth.

Your own pillowcase. Hospital ones are plastic-y and crunchy.

Earplugs
Chapstick for sure!
And yeah charger and extension cord.

My hospital didn’t allow biotene or gas x or even throat lozenges to be used unless provided by them and prescribed by doc.

3 hours ago, browneyez42 said:

Biotene because you will experience extreme dry mouth.

I tried Biotene and it wasn't a spray like they say...it "oozed" from the bottle and did nothing for my dry mouth. I'm glad I tried it long before I needed it in the hospital. I bought these small sponges on a stick that you can use to moisten your mouth without swallowing the Water. I'll definitely have those in my bag.

FYI, if your doctor doesn’t allow biotene or any other mout rinse etc, ask your nurse for a glycerin swabstick.

every hospital has them and they can give them to you for dry mouth. It’s a small tipped sponge that is specifically for those whom have restricted oral intake and whomever has dry mouth. Some are flavored and some are plain but they feel so refreshing!!

most wont just give them to you so ask for them!!

13 hours ago, stargirl19 said:

Hey fam, I’m doing my operation tomorrow, is there anything that I should bring other than comfy clothes, slippers and my medication? I’m staying for only one night. Any advice as well?

honestly, all i brought was the clothes i wore there( just put them back on to leave making sure they were stretchy/comfy clothes), my phone and a charger, and my insurance cards that my husband kept in his wallet. The more you bring, the more you have to keep up with. Its only one night, there isn't alot you could possibly need :) Good luck to you!

Most of the premoistened mouth swabs are lemon-tasting at least in my part of the world. If you loathe lemon, you might get a supply of little pink foam tipped swabs, the local independent,pharmacy stocks them. If your hospital is playing Hard***. they usually do provide a mothwash, use it with your little
pink swabs, if nothing else use plain water.I used to sweat everything stinky I had ate the week before was in my dried out mouth. Yucky poo poo!😟Bring slippers or scuff type shoes, those floors are hard (easier to keep clean) and those six they issue you, they might be fine for short trips to the porcelain throne,but if you walk very far, and we all know they encourage "walkies" those nor skid bumps hurt to walk on. One frequent poster on BP bought a cheapish set of bedroom slippers, threw them in the trash when she left so she didn't bring home evil hospital germs.
SO
comfy loosish clothes because you want something easy to get on, you don't want your bare bum shining under the hospital gowns and your tummy with its multiple little slits is going to be tender.
phone, charger and maybe a 3 foot extension cord in case plugs right close to you are in use
Chap stick, your lips are going to be dry, try to crack and also, if you get a tinted slightly one, you look prettier.
All the other suggestions above are good.
I am a die-hard writer so I'll. probably take my journal so I can write all about it,I only plan one of these bariatric funfests.
Anyway please report back to us how everything went. Right about now you may be wishing someone could take your place,tell them to call me, I have been waiting FOREVER! Alex and Ken have my E Mail,address, I'll answer all texts! Your Impatient future-patient Bud. ,,Frust8😝

Oh one other thing I'm taking, my stuffed rabbit who I have christened Roux -en-Y Rabbit. Yeah a little Water from the Holy Land , relative went on one of those Get Holy cruises.
Back in the Bad Old Days of all open incisions, ready for a little FYI? Most people if they have an "open" have what is a subcostal, a diagonal directly under your right ribcage, very sensible, yeah?
I had to be different, I had a right paramedian, right to the right of my belly button, maybe 5.5. inches in length. Now I am an allergic soul, sneeze a lot, cough some with asthma. You don't want to do either without "splinting", this term means you press a pillow or something soft against it so you don't feel like you're going to bust open. I took my kids stuffed tou,a chicken called what else "Chickie". He was a wonderful friend to me. Now that was34 years ago and I have no clue where he is. So when WallyWorld had their Easter clearance I invested in a soft fluffy rabbit just the right size. I may even label a onesie with his name so he's dressed for the occasion. Looked up future surgeons 2017 record, he did 600-700 surgeries personally, only 1 open. I will remind him though, if he can't complete it lap he has my permission to do it open.
1. I want it that badly, so don't stop now
2. I already have 1 visible scar, so what's 2 there? At 72 and with the criss cross scars from 3 9lb babies, I'm not going to be wearing bikinis
3. I healed from previous open just fine, I set a precedent, I'll do it again.
This is my third attempt at winning the Weight Loss Rodeo, I want the Verdompt Blue Ribbon
And I want it NOW!
So bottom line, what will yours truly bring to that operating room
ME ME ME and that had better be sufficent!👈😝👉

This is good to know, my surgery is in 2 weeks (nervous jitters but happy ones) and all of this is very helpful. :)

Hey people, you me and almost everyone else---We are going to do fine! That's why all these posters, who have problems, they are very rare. Sure there might be a little discomfort, but nothing that can't be gotten through. I myself might do a little surgery whimpering, everything I have is a little creaky and cranky at best, but it and I will,be fine. I might not heal up as fast as you young ones but I still will. I'm no longer a Mexican jumping bean, But it still beats breaking down more, having strokes, having heart attacks, going blind or having my kidneys fizzle out. All those obesity causes or makes worse. I love me enough to give myself,the gift of surgery,😷 and before another birthday, another change of season, another holiday passes. I shall have this accomplished. This I have promised myself and I will not stop until it finally happens.😝