Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have bulletproof coffee

I'm sorry but some questions are just so idiotic that it results in a an instant kneejerk reaction. Your title clearly said BULLETPROOF coffee.

This was right up there with eating pizza or a piece of KFC on the way home from VSG surgery.

If you're trying to actively keep your calories low, while getting Protein reqs in for the day, why would you drink coffee (which goes down quite easily) laced with over a tablespoon of either butter, coconut oil, or MCT?

I stay freezing (as do most). I drink hot Decaf tea or hot decaf coffee. I have my Protein Drink allotment for the day that helps me reach my daily goal. I add that to my coffee until I've hit my limit for the day...

Edited by FluffyChix

1 minute ago, Tealael said:

Girl ,

have your coffee add some Protein to it

Life is short

2 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Girl ,

have your coffee add some Protein to it

Life is short

Good looking out.

A lot of these things might be termed "advanced class" in that you have to learn how to use them, and use them at appropriate times, and not necessarily a "never again" thing. My wife, 13 years out on her WLS, has a smoothie every day - very high nutrition and a good way to bury some of her needed supplements, but in no way is it a low calorie or weight loss drink - nor does she need it to be at this time. It's all a matter of context.

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm sorry but some questions are just so idiotic that it results in a an instant kneejerk reaction. Your title clearly said BULLETPROOF coffee.

This was right up there with eating pizza or a piece of KFC on the way home from VSG surgery.

If you're trying to actively keep your calories low, while getting Protein reqs in for the day, why would you drink coffee (which goes down quite easily) laces with over a tablespoon of either butter, coconut oil, or MCT?

I stay freezing (as do most). I drink hot Decaf tea or hot decaf coffee. I have my Protein Drink allotment for the day that helps me reach my daily goal. I add that to my coffee until I've hit my limit for the day...

Ok so everyone has different thoughts of idiotic questions when I hear people talking about Hair loss or saggy skin I think that’s idiotic but I stay hushed cause it’s like duh. You could a said hell no to the bullet proof coffee and said yeah to black coffee or give me options for Hot Drinks. I’ve see Protein Powder in coffee and stuff like that.

Kfc on the way home from bariatric surgery equals Keto coffee. Riiiiiight.

Just now, RickM said:

A lot of these things might be termed "advanced class" in that you have to learn how to use them, and use them at appropriate times, and not necessarily a "never again" thing. My wife, 13 years out on her WLS, has a smoothie every day - very high nutrition and a good way to bury some of her needed supplements, but in no way is it a low calorie or weight loss drink - nor does she need it to be at this time. It's all a matter of context.

I absolutely agree! The big difference from my perspective is: are you in weight loss mode (especially honeymoon period) or are you in maintenance? Also, does the drink carry big time nutrition along with the calories and is it to replace a meal? Or simply to add calories to the day? You know?

And I have read about the "nutritional" advantages of bpc, but does it really do enough to replace a full Protein rich meal? You know?

Just now, Marissa37 said:

Ok so everyone has different thoughts of idiotic questions when I hear people talking about hair loss or saggy skin I think that’s idiotic but I stay hushed cause it’s like duh. You could a said hell no to the bullet proof coffee and said yeah to black coffee or give me options for Hot Drinks. I’ve see Protein Powder in coffee and stuff like that.

Kfc on the way home from bariatric surgery equals Keto coffee. Riiiiiight.

The prob I had was the idea of adding dietary fat to a relatively non-nutritious drink. The concept of fat bombs and bpc is just faddish lunacy from the keto brigade. And I'm a ketoneer. LOL. I just think crap! Don't do any of the bs. You don't need it if your a fatty! I'm a fatty! I sure as hell don't need a fat bomb.

Now, if I had 4% body fat and just "couldn't eat enough calories in a day," then maybe I need to think about fat bombs (which is what bpc is).

But I see at your level now, no reason why you can't supplement a set amount of Protein powder/protein drink to have in decaff coffee. As much as I can eat, I'm maxed with food volume and still can't quite hit 60g minimum protein. So by adding in my 6oz per day of Premier Protein I make my goal and allow a little wiggle room for veggies.

I have 1 to 1 1/2oz per 9-12oz of hot decaff up to those 6fl oz.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

The prob I had was the idea of adding dietary fat to a relatively non-nutritious drink. The concept of fat bombs and bpc is just faddish lunacy from the Keto brigade. And I'm a ketoneer. LOL. I just think crap! Don't do any of the bs. You don't need it if your a fatty! I'm a fatty! I sure as hell don't need a fat bomb.

Now, if I had 4% body fat and just "couldn't eat enough calories in a day," then maybe I need to think about fat bombs (which is what bpc is).

But I see at your level now, no reason why you can't supplement a set amount of Protein powder/protein drink to have in decaff coffee. As much as I can eat, I'm maxed with food volume and still can't quite hit 60g minimum Protein. So by adding in my 6oz per day of Premier Protein I make my goal and allow a little wiggle room for veggies.

I have 1 to 1 1/2oz per 9-12oz of hot decaff up to those 6fl oz.

Ok but some fattys are going through things and may be vulnerable to people coming at them like that- bullying. I’m not one of them. Just gotta be careful you never know what the other person going through and my defense when I hear people talking bs is they HAVE to get laid so I can’t apologize for that. I like to create a safe environment where everyone can ask idiotic questions without judgement because I know a lot of people who are depressed or just going through life f*ed up I always try to help out as much as possible. I don’t want someone to read this topic and be like dang I can’t ask these people sh*t. Some are thinking about surgery, married to someone who had surgery, are in the process of getting to that surgery goal, post surgery, or maintenance. And through it all WE all have something in common that’s supposed to bond us.

2 minutes ago, Marissa37 said:

Ok but some fattys are going through things and may be vulnerable to people coming at them like that- bullying. I’m not one of them. Just gotta be careful you never know what the other person going through and my defense when I hear people talking bs is they HAVE to get laid so I can’t apologize for that. I like to create a safe environment where everyone can ask idiotic questions without judgement because I know a lot of people who are depressed or just going through life f*ed up I always try to help out as much as possible. I don’t want someone to read this topic and be like dang I can’t ask these people sh*t. Some are thinking about surgery, married to someone who had surgery, are in the process of getting to that surgery goal, post surgery, or maintenance. And through it all WE all have something in common that’s supposed to bond us.

You make a valid point.

You also need to know this isn't the land of misfit toys. We all have our hot buttons. We all are emotion-filled people. And not everyone will agree or give responses that jive with the validation you're seeking. We are NOT all happy shiny people.

And vehemently disagreeing with someone does NOT make someone a bully. LOL. As Inigo said, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

(And I don't care, I got laid last night. It was spectacular. :D I highly recommend it.)

Edited by FluffyChix

25 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You make a valid point.

You also need to know this isn't the land of misfit toys. We all have our hot buttons. We all are emotion-filled people. And not everyone will agree or give responses that jive with the validation you're seeking. We are NOT all happy shiny people.

And vehemently disagreeing with someone does NOT make someone a bully. LOL. As Inigo said, "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

(And I don't care, I got laid last night. It was spectacular. :D I highly recommend it.)

Allllllrighty then.

Bulletproof coffee. That is a loaded question. Here is a link on how to make bulletproof coffee. https://blog.bulletproof.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

So what you are asking for looks like a very specialized cup of coffee definitely not your normal cup of coffee. 1-2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane Oil.

1 tablespoon of serving of Bulletproof Upgraded Brain Octane Oil contains 130 calories which is 100% fat.

My hospital discharge instructions read "Avoid caffeinated beverages (stimulates appetite, irritates stomach lining, acts like a diuretic.)

It is common to do a little experimentation after surgery. That is how we learn. Some people can tolerate anything after surgery while others have problems and can tolerate very little. Weight loss is achieved during the short weight loss phase through meal volume control. The two operative words here are short and volume. So if you want to maximize your weight loss during this phase, you need to adhere to the program guidelines. I slid into the maintenance phase at 7 months. But I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. In your case you had the sleeve and sleeve patients lose weight at a slower rate and may not reach maintenance for a couple years.

So my guess is the answer is NO. But take it up with your surgeons office and explain to them what is contained in a cup of bulletproof coffee.

Something called Bullet Proof coffee automatically makes me suspect.

23 hours ago, Marissa37 said:

Here's the thing. From your stats, you aren't even a month post op. Which for my program, caffeine isn't even allowed. But if you came on this site to be coddled, you might as well start a FB group where screen the people who can join. This site is full of vets who have done the hard work to loose the weight, and along the way they have learned a trick or two. If @FluffyChix didn't care about the members of this site, she wouldn't even say anything. Now, do I disagree with her meme about stupidity... yeah... ok... Fluff, too far. But all of her comments about how this coffee is a BAD decision is spot on. I hope you stay and learn and grow.... and someday are the vet who can give someone like you healthy advice.

You need to avoid caffeine - period.

If you’re cold and hate tea—- drink hot Water.< br>

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 172
5’6”

You need to avoid caffeine - period.

If you’re cold and hate tea—- drink hot Water.

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 [emoji736] (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 172
5’6”

Question:
Why must caffeine be avoided, is it a rule just for RNYers?

HW 270
SW 238
CW 182
VSG 11/7
[emoji146][emoji146][emoji146]