Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost in the USA

What do you pay in the US for gastric bypass surgery?

Mine was covered by the Canadian government

I had gastric sleeve. The insurance company was billed over $17,000. I paid $500 deductible out of pocket for the surgery. That doesn't include the co-pays for the doctor and nutritionist visits that were required before surgery.

There are a few ateas, 2 are Louisiana and Florida where it may be no more than $8000. but they are few and far between and occasionally the one in Florida ran specials.I want my surgery at a Center of Excellence hospital where they have the best doctors , dedicated bariatric wings or floors and are up to date, on the cutting edge of research etc. Luckily I do have insurance, if you don't you have to self pay or go out of the country. UK people go to Belgium, Estonia, Turkey or Switzerland. US and Canadians go to Mexico, if I were going there the only place would be BariatricPalMX, our founder Alex Brecher,helped found it, surgeon's are as good or better than ones above both borders, Alex trusted them enough to have surgery himself there recently. Otherwise there a few other good alternatives but most fly-by- night conveyer belt, patient and $,in, slip slap, patient out and on his own, no follow-up. I love me a little too much to go through that dog and pony show? How about YOU?

I am having mine done in Oklahoma the total cost is 25,000$ and that’s not even including the pre-op diet, exercise, psych, and nurse practitioner visits. Insurance will pay 20,000$ of my surgery but we have to cover the other 5,000$ plus a pre-op care package that contains everything for right before the surgery and after.

My insurance paid for it in 2009 but since the “Affordable Care Act” its not covered

On 4/26/2018 at 8:07 AM, Pugdexter said:

What do you pay in the US for gastric bypass surgery?

Mine was covered by the Canadian government

My insurance company was billed $45,000ish between the surgeon's fee and the hospital fee (lol). I paid $1350 out of pocket. That doesn't include the pre-op visits which I paid $35 bucks each for and maybe like $200 for the labs pre-op.

Edited by mousecat88

And what great deal you got, not worried about Toto because YOU are in Kansas after all!

So you Northern cousins jump through provincial hoops, we jump through insurance ones, and unless you are wealthy enough to self-pay, that's just the way things go. Neither are totally perfect but we fulfill to receive.

In Australia if you have high enough medical insurance they cover most but can still be out of pocket between 3k to 9k depending on which state and surgeon you use, most places only ask for blood tests and insurance information then a couple consultations before surgery that's it or maybe see a dietitian then obviously pay for initial appointment then free after that with surgeon who keeps in touch after surgery but none of those hoops you have in USA that require numerous assessments and psychologists and even diet plan that can go for months before approval even comes.

Where in Australia I've only got insurance for this procedure the one rule is I must be with them 12 month before I can have surgery paying a monthly fee and then pay the surgery which I've found 2 places one 3k or 4k out of pocket and that's the cheapest! While I wait out the 12 months I've been on this site gathering tons of information still trying to decide between RNY and the loop/sips