Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like my life is over

I had RNY on March 29th, I was discharged 2 days later and felt “ok” besides pain and nausea. 2 weeks went by and I had not had a bowel movement and wasn’t even near meeting my fluid goals. I had been in twice for IV fluids. The day after I got graduated to soft foods I ate an egg and it stayed down but I was uncomfortable after. The next day I had an egg for Breakfast and tried 4 small grilled shrimp for dinner. I fell asleep after dinner and woke up around midnight feeling that the shrimp hadn’t moved at all and were just sitting there and felt very sick. I ended up throwing up the contents of my pouch and calling the advice nurse. She talked to a surgeon on call and he said go to the ER. After being put through a CT scan and an XRay with contrast it showed there was a blockage of either swelling or a complete blockage and I was transported to the hospital where I originally had my surgery. I went under for a laparoscopic investigative surgery to find out what the swelling was, and it proved to be scar tissue at the site of the jejunostomy. Only two weeks and I had that much scar tissue? Disheartening. My surgeon said he fixed it, and I was in the hospital 9 days total. I have been home for 3 days and I am still in so much pain, and already constipated again, I feel full and again am having a hard time meeting Fluid requirements. I feel like I was botched and ruined my life, that I will be stuck now continually getting revision surgeries and always feeling sick. I am 30 years old and a mother of a 3 year old, what have I done.

Hang in there, it will get better. Hopefully this is the worst of it. Just focus on fluids and really take it easy on food. Shrimp that early sounds challenging. Hopefully everything will heal this time and you’ll be good to go and when you look back at this in 6 months it will be a minor bump in the road.

But your life isn’t over. You are only 30. As frustrating as it is with surgery there are potential complications, that’s why we sign consents to let surgeons operate on us. There are no guarantees that each of us will tolerate the operation the same. You cannot predict what will happen to you after surgery.

There are many risks to remaining obese as well.

The only thing you can do now is focus on healing and following your diet guidelines. Not all people that have complications have them forever, so don’t get stuck in a negative way of thinking that what you are experiencing now will last the rest of your life.

Start on Miralax for the Constipation. Not pooping can make you miserable. Work on meeting the fluid goals. One day at a time.

If you continue to have issues maybe it is prudent to have a second opinion.

3 hours ago, Kels7887 said:

I had RNY on March 29th, I was discharged 2 days later and felt “ok” besides pain and nausea. 2 weeks went by and I had not had a bowel movement and wasn’t even near meeting my fluid goals. I had been in twice for IV fluids. The day after I got graduated to soft foods I ate an egg and it stayed down but I was uncomfortable after. The next day I had an egg for Breakfast and tried 4 small grilled shrimp for dinner. I fell asleep after dinner and woke up around midnight feeling that the shrimp hadn’t moved at all and were just sitting there and felt very sick. I ended up throwing up the contents of my pouch and calling the advice nurse. She talked to a surgeon on call and he said go to the ER. After being put through a CT scan and an XRay with contrast it showed there was a blockage of either swelling or a complete blockage and I was transported to the hospital where I originally had my surgery. I went under for a laparoscopic investigative surgery to find out what the swelling was, and it proved to be scar tissue at the site of the jejunostomy. Only two weeks and I had that much scar tissue? Disheartening. My surgeon said he fixed it, and I was in the hospital 9 days total. I have been home for 3 days and I am still in so much pain, and already constipated again, I feel full and again am having a hard time meeting Fluid requirements. I feel like I was botched and ruined my life, that I will be stuck now continually getting revision surgeries and always feeling sick. I am 30 years old and a mother of a 3 year old, what have I done.

Sorry to hear your having trouble but just stay positive. So you now have a prolonged recovery. Follow instructions to the letter. You’ll soon be eating normal in smaller amounts. Hope your on the mend soon. Be well!

((hugs)) It's easy to feel overwhelmed in your situation. Just stay focused on the immediate next task and try not to let your mind wander to the "what ifs" and future. Take those baby steps and now you know about this issue, you can stay on top of it with your doc. Drink that water!!!

10 hours ago, Kels7887 said:

I am so sorry to hear this. But I have some good news for you, this situation is only temporary! The end goal of your surgery is to be healthier for your family, your child, and yourself. Remember to take it one day at a time and that getting healthy is rarely a straight line. They have a real saying in the 12 step program that I can get behind: This too shall pass. You'll get there!!

Great post Matty!

I'm so sorry that you've had such a struggle. Sending prayers your way for a quick recovery and smooth sailing from here on out.

Sorry youre experiencing this! Have you had discussions with your Dr around food? I know it isnt your direct and most immediate issue right now -- but shrimp that early sounds really awful.

Good luck and hopefully youre on the mend now. Just focus on your Protein Drinks and water...heal.

I actually went to the ER today with the same issue. I woke up at 3am nauseas and my pills werent working, went back to sleep hoping it would go away. By 11am i couldnt take it any longer-my husband took me to the ER. They did xray and so much blood work, come to find out its because i havent gone to the bathroom!! I wish my Dr would have mentioned something about this, cause i felt like a fool going to the ER and just being told to take mirlax and let it pass.

Hang in there! I felt like death warmed over for about two months. I could barely eat, barely drink, constipated, cranky, etc. Now I'm 3 months post op & am finally reaping the benefits. I still only can eat about 500 calories a day, and not even close to hitting my Protein numbers. I still throw up food quite a bit (I eat too fast & don't always chew it like I should), but I feel so much better now. I now have energy, it doesn't hurt to walk, and I've grown accustomed to only eating about 3 bites per meal. I don't even crave food hardly at all anymore. Don't give up.

Now, sit on your Squatty Potty and say to yourself "This too shall Pass". Take your miralax and remember "An Empty Colon Is A Happy Colon" And I hope I can keep all my own transit systems express instead a pokey local,becausebthis could happen to,me before long. Especially when I go,on liquids, that's the part I dread.

Sending prayers! I hope the worst is behind you. Try and stay positive!