Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't want to go crazy. Please tell me not everyone goes Crazy

Hey everyone! I am Juuuust starting the journey. Have spoken with my insurance and will be picking out a doctor in the next day or so. I have been over weight for far too long. All through high school and even throughout my time in the military, I was too skinny. (5'8" 120 - 129lbs). I got married my last year in the military and within a year, I gained over 100 lbs. The weight kept inching on over the years and no matter what I did, I would drop a few pounds and then gain back double. Finally, I began working for the post office where I had a walking route. I walked over 9 miles per day. I went from 270 lbs down to 218. I felt great and swore I would never gain the weight back. Unfortunately, I was hurt on the job and out of work for 6 months. When you walk 9 miles a day in the South GA heat, you have to eat...and I ate a lot. When I was out of work, I kept eating. I gained all the weight back and then some. When I was allowed to go back to work, I started working in IT, where I sit most of the day. I gained up to just a hair over 300 lbs (I'm now 5'9"). I did the same roller coaster weight loss and weight gain over the years. Last year, I started on a plan offered free through my work called Real Appeal. I was able to lose about 35 pounds and have for the most part not gained much back.

I changed jobs at the beginning of this year and was surprised to find that my new insurance covers WLS, so I am in the process of going with the VGS.

So you're probably wondering why I ask about going crazy in my title.

My ex-wife had gastric bypass. She traded her eating addiction for alcohol and drugs. I then met a really nice girl, who, as it turns out, had bypass surgery also. She, traded her addiction for a sex addiction. I have had several friends and acquaintances over the years that have gotten bypass, or lap-bands, or VGS, and nearly every one of them have developed really bad habits and "gone crazy"

I am a pretty normal person, or so I think. I don't feel like I'm addicted to food, I'm just lazy, so I am hoping I wont go crazy when I finally get the surgery.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Not everyone goes crazy after.

Some started that way.

In all seriousness though transfer addiction is a known issue after bariatric surgery. Some people have addictive personalities and it is easy to trade that food addiction for an addiction to drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, etc.

Some of us have emotional issues along with the obesity like PTSD, depression, or anxiety. It is not uncommon for people that have mental health disorders to medicate themselves with substances and if you take food away it can create a situation where the person does turn towards a different substance.

It is never a bad idea for any bariatric patient with or without a diagnosed disorder to seek therapy throughout the journey to help cope with the changes we must deal with.