Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my problem is I’m scared to have vsg because I’ve googled too much. Now I’m scared. I’m scared to DIE during surgery or after! I’ve read that people have heart attacks during surgery. I’m starting to back out before I even get started 🤦🏽‍♀️

While you're googling, check the survival rates for obese people who don't have surgery. It might give you a better perspective.

That being said, it is major surgery and it would be foolish to take it lightly. Ask lots of questions in the forums, there are plenty of people who are willing to help you out.

Trust your physician and if you don’t, find one you do. They will do lab work and the same surgery clearances they would for anyone with your medical condition(s). Be weary of medical advice from strangers, WebMD and the doom and gloom stories.

I had a hysterectomy almost two years ago and was the same way. I searched the internet for everything. My doctor said that was the worst thing you could do. He was right. The surgery turned out well. I felt great afterward. Here I am two weeks post op from sleeve surgery tomorrow. I didn't search the internet as much this time. I tried to think of all of the positive things that would happen after I had the surgery. I prayed about my surgery and had a peace about it. I am a little tired but other than that I feel good and had little pain and no vomiting. Go for it!! Best Wishes!

It's okay to be scared. That's natural. I know I was so scared that I was going to die on the operating table. Both of my parents died as a result of surgeries & I was convinced I would too. I brought my concern to my surgical team & they were wonderful about handling the situation. They talked me through understanding that my parents died more than 15 years ago & had undergone life saving surgeries. We're more medically advanced than ever & WLS is elective surgery. Anyway, take your concerns to your surgical team too. Know that you are not alone.

Try to change your perspective, this surgery may likely save your life. You can find horror stories everywhere, but the truth is you will die sooner from obesity or have an unfulfilling life as a result of related issues (joint pain, hypertension, shortness of breath, sleep issues,etc.).

Look at this as a hike up a mountain in unknown territory, there will be struggles but they are so worth it when you get to the top of the mountain and turn around. (I had sleeve surgery April 9th, after a failed lap band 5 years ago. So far I am down 24 lbs and my joint pain is already gone.)

If you're not scared then you're not taking this seriously. I was terrified. It's very normal. It helped that my surgeon has had zero fatalities. This made me feel so much better. The risks are also higher the more you weigh, the older you are and also depending on your other health issues.

It's ok to be scared, but don't let that stop you. WLS patients are incredibly brave. In a way, I think it's good to be scared. You can't do this on a whim. It's a big deal. Now, chances are your surgery will go without a hitch, but that bravery is what you need in the months and years after your surgery as you change your life and confront your food demons.

It's ok to be scared! Look how many of us are here and survived! My heart rate dropped and my surgeon wasn't even scared, my husband told me I woke up grumpy with the nurses lol! The only thing that scared me (it's NOT scary, I promise!) Was the barium swallow before you go home, it was great! I had an incredibly hot technician that saw me in my johnny. If you have faith in your surgeon and whoever else you're golden. It comforted me so much to have my PA with me in surgery and to tease my surgeon about attempting to put on my bp cuff. I'm only 19 days post op so it's super fresh for me. Good luck. Stop googling!

So, my problem is I’m scared to have vsg because I’ve googled too much. Now I’m scared. I’m scared to DIE during surgery or after! I’ve read that people have heart attacks during surgery. I’m starting to back out before I even get started 🤦🏽‍♀️

Whoa!

If you have a pre-op EKG that looked fine, there is no reason that you’d have a heart attack.

HW: 225
SW: 214 (5/2/2018)
CW: 208
GW: 145

I don't think it's fair to say i if you're not scared you're not taking this seriously, I've been thinking about getting the sleeve for a few years now and only just recently the past month I've taken steps toward it. I'm not scared whatsoever. I have faith in my beliefs, and also, it's good to know your surgeon statistics. You should look at satistics of Surgeons around you too.