Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Previous Surgeries still have Laparoscopic bypass

I'm new. Still checking all the boxes to apply for insurance. I've done all my weight loss / NUT consults, psych, and cardio. I'm just waiting on my thyroid test so we can apply for insurance. I'm going for gastric bypass. I'm worrying whether I'll have problems with doing it laparoscopic. I've had 3 c/sections and most concerning is the umbilical hernia I had to have repaired after my last pregnancy. In the multiple episodes of Dr. Now and online research I hear about adhesions. It's an easy decision to have the surgery laparoscopically. However getting cut completely open makes me think twice. I have had 3 c-sections, so it's not like I haven't been cut open. Having to have wls open makes me think twice due to the significant increase in recovery time, increased potential for complications, and last (yes it's makes me a little shallow) the wicked scar down the middle of my stomach.

Anybody with previous abdominal surgeries and still able to have wls laparoscopically? How does it work, do you agree upfront that if it can't be done laparoscopically that the doctor will convert to open or do they close you up and you have to go back later for open surgery? Anybody end up with open, how did it go? Was anybody who was concerned they might have issues able to find out before surgery which method would work via some scan?

1 hour ago, shortmocha said:

I'm new. Still checking all the boxes to apply for insurance. I've done all my weight loss / NUT consults, psych, and cardio. I'm just waiting on my thyroid test so we can apply for insurance. I'm going for gastric bypass. I'm worrying whether I'll have problems with doing it laparoscopic. I've had 3 c/sections and most concerning is the umbilical hernia I had to have repaired after my last pregnancy. In the multiple episodes of Dr. Now and online research I hear about adhesions. It's an easy decision to have the surgery laparoscopically. However getting cut completely open makes me think twice. I have had 3 c-sections, so it's not like I haven't been cut open. Having to have wls open makes me think twice due to the significant increase in recovery time, increased potential for complications, and last (yes it's makes me a little shallow) the wicked scar down the middle of my stomach.

Anybody with previous abdominal surgeries and still able to have wls laparoscopically? How does it work, do you agree upfront that if it can't be done laparoscopically that the doctor will convert to open or do they close you up and you have to go back later for open surgery? Anybody end up with open, how did it go? Was anybody who was concerned they might have issues able to find out before surgery which method would work via some scan?

I had a c section and a lapband. and still had a laparascopic RNY. My roomate had adhesions between his band and his liver and other organs. it took them 4 hours to clean up and he still had a laparoscopic sleeve. I don't think i've ever heard of an open one being done (in the last 10 years or so).

Unless you are over 600lbs, dr Now's show is not a good resource. Your own doctor is. adhesions are very routine in lapband revisions and those are done laparascopically every day.

Edited by Travelher

I have had 4 abdominal surgeries, 1 open & 3 laparoscopic. My surgeon told me I may have adhesions/scar tissue but he won’t know until he gets in there.

he states that most of the time, surgeons can still perform it laparoscopically, it just takes more time and a little maneuvering on their part.

I had 3 umbilical hernia repairs prior to VSG last one with mesh. Also had gall bladder removed. I was nervous too about the scar tissue. I’m happy to say that everything went well even tho he had to remove the old mesh and sew the hernia up again! He also repaired a large hiatal hernia with mesh at the same time. All laparoscopically! You’ll be fine. Definitely be up front so he’s not surprised! They’re surgeons and can do quite a bit. My recovery has been relatively easy considering. Sleeved April 12th HW 217 SW 207 CW 196

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was able to attend my surgeon's info session last night and asked the same question. He echoed what you all have said. He said even with previous surgeries that 99.99% of the time bypass can still be done laparoscopically. I'm feeling much better.

Hoping to get the insurance nailed down in the next 2 weeks and get my date.