Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I’ve posted before about Hair loss. But do any of you have any recommendations on helping stopping hair loss. I use nioxin right now but idk if it’s from my Protein or what. But any recommendations will help!

I am just at the beginning of this journey but, I am convinced that increasing Protein is the only thing that will help minimize Hair loss. I researched this subject at length and this is what I have concluded. I have been getting 100 grams plus of protein since surgery.

I did start taking Biotin about 2 weeks pre op but it is more to strengthen hair than to stop the loss from what I understand.

I started taking Biotin 3 months before I had surgery and I never eat less than 100g of Protein a day and my hair is still falling out in huge clumps. My surgeon said nothing we do will prevent it from happening and that everyone’s experience is different and that it will slow down once I am 6 months from surgery. I was advised by a dermatologist to stay away from any Shampoo that says it promotes Hair growth because once you start it, you have to use it the rest of your life.. so I’ve stayed away from nioxin and kerinique and all of those.. I found a hair mask at Sephora that has really helped my hair from Madam CJ Walker. It was on sale when I ordered it, but it is a protein mask that you use every other week. The hair in my shower drain is getting smaller every single day since using that.. I am still taking in 100g of protein and biotin daily.. I as so stressed and expressed for the first 2 weeks I was experiencing Hair loss but have accepted that it is part of the journey and that it will grow all, besides.. who wants a head full of super thick hair in the hot summer lol..

Telogen effluvium is stress reaction disruption of the hair follicle cycle. It happens when your body hits a certain stress level....hormal changes, weight loss and surgery are all triggers for it....and we've got those triggers in spades.

Most Hair loss occurs 1-6 months after your surgery. The worst is at around 3-4 months out. (Ask me, I know, I'm shedding like a Siberian Husky)

There's nothing you can do to prevent it or treat it. You can eat well and do your follow up appointments to keep your nutrition on track and make sure you don't have malabsorption issues.

The best idea is to work be as healthy as possible and reduce stress so your body can recover naturally. Eat well, exercise, sleep well.

Your hair really does start to grow back after 6 months or so.

7 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

I researched this subject at length and this is what I have concluded. I have been getting 100 grams plus of Protein since surgery.

Yeah, me too. Didn't help. LOL.

Some people will lose a lot of hair. Some won't lose much. Most will lose quite a bit. Luck of the draw.

It grows back:)

Our clinic recommends powdered collagen so I take that religiously. I know there is not much I can do to stop it when I starts, but I have really fine hair so I can’t afford to lose a lot. I also plan on buying hair fibers when time comes, those seem to cover it pretty well.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG: 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

I am 58 with fine but relatively thick hair that’s a little below my back bra strap. I am 3 months post op and my hair and nails are growing much faster due to the combo of quality bariatric Vitamins (Watch the stinking fillers), collagen (put in your tea or smoothie) which gives you 11 grams of Protein with few calories and the extra Biotin. Lastly, my scalp and skin have been extraordinarily dry so it’s a struggle to stay hydrated— I gave my scalp an oil treatment and it really did help texture. Hey, if you are gonna do this weight loss journey you must exercise self care — in my opinion this entails changing many habits into best practices so you can be the best version of yourself possible.