Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. I just had surgery last week. Spent one night in hospital and returned to home. Physically it seems to be getter better. However, emotionally I’m a mess! Ever since I get very upset almost explosive at times and then cry. And once that starts it won’t stop. I have a dr appt in a couple days and I will talk to them about it but curious if this is just me or has it happened to others. The more upset I get the more mad I get, etc. I would swear I had surgery that affected my hormones! Thanks!

Surgery can cause hormones inbalance but I'm not sure how soon after or to what extent. Try googling vsg surgery and hormones.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Anesthesia is wicked and can cause that in some people. I have been emotional not just from anesthesia but because I want to eat but can’t. Like real food! I’ve cried a a few times and have said I regret this but each day it gets easier. Make sure you are sipping all day and getting your Protein in. That’s most important. Staying hydrated. Good luck!

3 hours ago, escott70 said:

Hello. I just had surgery last week. Spent one night in hospital and returned to home. Physically it seems to be getter better. However, emotionally I’m a mess! Ever since I get very upset almost explosive at times and then cry. And once that starts it won’t stop. I have a dr appt in a couple days and I will talk to them about it but curious if this is just me or has it happened to others. The more upset I get the more mad I get, etc. I would swear I had surgery that affected my hormones! Thanks!

I am really glad you have the courage to post this. I can tell you that you're not alone! I was the same way for almost 6 weeks post-op. Golly, I can practically identify with the anger and saddness. I even had some suicidal ideation because I could not see a path forward to a better life. A song from Paula Abdul, Forever Your Girl came on the radio and I just broke down sobbing in my car. This was the song that my ex-girlfriend (and the woman I thought I would marry) sang to me on karaoke night on a cruise. She was drunk, in love, and she looked directly at me as she sang the song. I remember tearing up at the love I felt. Well, it turned out she's not forever my girl.

In some ways I was/am mourning the old me and I don't have food to make me feel better. Is it possible that you are mourning the person that you were pre-surgery? The difficulty of the mental game cannot be underestimated. If you need a shoulder to cry on, I am here; having walked in your shoes.

I am really glad you have the courage to post this. I can tell you that you're not alone! I was the same way for almost 6 weeks post-op. Golly, I can practically identify with the anger and saddness. I even had some suicidal ideation because I could not see a path forward to a better life. A song from Paula Abdul, Forever Your Girl came on the radio and I just broke down sobbing in my car. This was the song that my ex-girlfriend (and the woman I thought I would marry) sang to me on karaoke night on a cruise. She was drunk, in love, and she looked directly at me as she sang the song. I remember tearing up at the love I felt. Well, it turned out she's not forever my girl.
In some ways I was/am mourning the old me and I don't have food to make me feel better. Is it possible that you are mourning the person that you were pre-surgery? The difficulty of the mental game cannot be underestimated. If you need a shoulder to cry on, I am here; having walked in your shoes.

Thank you I appreciate your insight. At first I thought I was just being silly and was tired. But now, I don’t know it keeps getting worse. Thankfully I have not gone back to work yet as I’m under pressure all the time there. I don’t know. if I expected more so far, expected less, or if I am truly just tired from the surgery (this is the first major surgery I’ve had), mourning food or thinking I’ve made a big mistake, but I’m making myself sick I get so worked up. So yea, think I’m going to call the dr tomorrow. Thanks again.

I was an irritable mess for the first few days after surgery. The pain medication made me super grumpy at everything. Since I was lucky & didn't have much pain, I weaned myself off those meds asap. That helped me. Good luck to you. You are not alone.

is there anyone out there that was depressed😙,before surgery and now afterwards it is now under control? Everybody knows how badly i want surgery but is surgery going to make me THAT much worse?😖

I just downloaded this app and joined this forum for this very reason. I’m 9 days post op and feeling very depressed. I’m single and live alone. I had friends taking care of me for the first 8 days and now that I’m alone I feel worse.
I realize now that I ate out of boredom. I feel like I don’t have food to comfort me. It’s almost like losing a friend.
I’m also not having a great deal of success getting my Water and Protein in. I just pray it gets better.
Thank you for your post and sharing. You can talk to me anytime

It's totally normal to be an emotional mess right after surgery, between the anesthesia and pain meds and just the rapid initial weight loss, which flushes hormones through your system. The first month or so, I would just randomly start crying at absolutely NOTHING, like just mid-sentence when talking about something mundane. It was super awkward and annoying, but it passed.

Edit: I should note that this was the case even WITH being on an anti-depressant.

Edited by istytehcrawk

I just downloaded this app and joined this forum for this very reason. I’m 9 days post op and feeling very depressed. I’m single and live alone. I had friends taking care of me for the first 8 days and now that I’m alone I feel worse.
I realize now that I ate out of boredom. I feel like I don’t have food to comfort me. It’s almost like losing a friend.
I’m also not having a great deal of success getting my Water and Protein in. I just pray it gets better.
Thank you for your post and sharing. You can talk to me anytime

I feel I’m doing better with the depression. I’ve gotten back into a routine and plan to go back to work next week. Still have some lows. How are you doing?

10 hours ago, escott70 said:

I feel I’m doing better with the depression. I’ve gotten back into a routine and plan to go back to work next week. Still have some lows. How are you doing?

I actually feel better myself. I too wanted to go back to work next week but my boss said I can't come back because I have restrictions. My doc wrote that I can't lift anything more than 15lbs at work for 4 weeks post-op. Otherwise I feel ok. Glad to hear you are doing better

is there anyone out there that was depressed[emoji11],before surgery and now afterwards it is now under control? Everybody knows how badly i want surgery but is surgery going to make me THAT much worse?[emoji37]

I think you should be prepared for the chance that it may happen. I wasn't prepared and I wished I had been.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think they should give out T shirts that say that. "OMG WHAT DID I JUST DO TO MYSELF?" At best it must be a mental, physical and emotional shock to the system.Yeah Mattymatt I really haven't gone through it yet but I am a great empathizer, I can feel it. And if you have already fought the blue fog of depression it has to hit you worse. I am thankful to have you and this forum. If you try to talk to an outsider their response will be "Well if you didn't want it, you shouldn't have had it" it is not that at all, it is hard to come to terms with it and depressive already have a built-in " limp", it makes it harder for us to run. But we will, things will smooth out, we will each find the terms to handle it, move with it. And, guess what? We are going to be alright, better persons and we confidently can face what's ahead. And Matty matt you may remind me of this later when the whimwahs hit, you have my full permission. 😝Your bud Frust8

I’m 3.5 weeks post my RNY surgery. Been feeling really good up until 2 days ago. I searched the topic depression and see that others have gone through the same thing. I’m feeling quite down and realizing I can’t reach for a chocolate to soothe me has been hard. Also feel like I’m hormonally in a bit of a mess. I am reassured that others have felt this way and pg this too will pass soon. On the whole I’m doing so well, but this low mood isn’t fun...also I’m eating a very low carb diet and not many carbs to pick me up! And I’m not allowed coffee either, which always was a boost for me. Hanging in though. Share your thoughts...

I totally can relate. I had my sleeve on 4/23/18 and am happy with being able to wear smaller clothes but I am having such a hard time trying to get my Protein in, trying to get my liquids in, and eating slowly. I know I'm not drinking enough liquids. I'm not a huge Water fan and used to chew gum while I drank water which helped me drink more but I'm not allowed to have gum so if I'm getting 24 ounces of liquids a day, I'd be surprised. I'm not a big stevia fan. I try to eat a scrambled egg or some chicken or fish and I must be eating too fast even though I'm chewing the food up well. I probably get 4 or 5 bites in and I'm done. I haven't lost any weight this week and I know it's because of not being hydrated, etc. I don't know how to deal with this and it's making me so sad and depressed. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.