Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tome off work - how much??

How much time did you take off work to recover from surgery? I am scheduled for a VSG on May 2nd. (I work from home)

Thanks!

If you work from home, a couple of days should be more than enough. Sitting in a chair at your desk isn't going to feel any different than laying on the couch after surgery. I had my surgery on a Thursday and I was working on Monday. That said if you experience more pain and need to be on pain killers longer that may push things back, because your work product may suffer if you are on codeine (or whatever).

I work from home, and I put in for 2 sick days, surgery day and the next, but technically I didn't take any and I worked both of those days, at least partially.

My surgery was in the afternoon so I checked into the hospital in the morning, did the paperwork etc.. I had a private room, so I answered emails on my iPad and made calls like normal. After surgery I was coherent enough to reply to a couple of important emails that came in while I was under. The next day I was coherent and replied to emails, but couldn't make calls with people coming in and out and monitors potentially beeping. Once I was home I was able to work as normal. I just took short naps a couple of afternoons.

It depends though what type of work at home job you have. I have a management position where I have customers/accounts, and have a lot of freedom to arrange my own days and workload. But some work at home positions are a lot more closely monitored. My friend's has every phone call recorded and her computer activity is all monitored. If your job is more micromanaged, then I'd take at least a few days off so you can be sure you're up to speed.

I work in an office. My doctor wouldn't clear me to return to work until after my 1 week follow-up. So, I stayed home one week, then worked one week of 1/2 days, then back to work full time. I admire the work ethic of other posters, but I needed more healing time! And, personally, I did find that sitting up in a chair was quite uncomfortable for the first week. I spent most of my time in a recliner.

I had mine on 4/12 and returned to work on 4/16.

I was off for one week. I survived, but if I had it to do over again I would take two.

I work from home two days a week and go to the office three days. I took off one week and the worked from home full time for a month.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

My doctor told me I have to take three weeks of because I have a job that is high-paced, physical (a lot of fast walking and some heavy lifting), and stressful. If I had a calmer job, they would have let me schedule less time off.

6 minutes ago, TaylorMade4One said:

I spoke to a doctor office today and they said 6 weeks but NO LESS than 2.

That would have not worked for me! My work is no more physical demanding than reading this forum. I went on a week long business trip 3 weeks post op!

I work from home 100% of the time, I was off for 5 weeks. (Scheduled for 6, but only took 5) I was a revision from band to SIPS. Those first two weeks I don’t think I could have worked, I was so exhausted.