Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering what others have done about cooking dinner for their family. I am the family cook. I'm not sure how I am going to feel after surgery. Am I going to want to meal plan, shop, cook & clean up for my family?

5 years ago I had major back surgery & friends bought over dinners for the 1st week or so that I was home. I'm not telling everyone about the WLS so friends won't be bringing any food over.

I know that most of the cooking is going to fall to my daughter. She's plenty old enough, but she's not very good at cleaning up after she cooks. Guess I will just have to let somethings go.

How did you handle it?

Wondering what others have done about cooking dinner for their family. I am the family cook. I'm not sure how I am going to feel after surgery. Am I going to want to meal plan, shop, cook & clean up for my family?
5 years ago I had major back surgery & friends bought over dinners for the 1st week or so that I was home. I'm not telling everyone about the WLS so friends won't be bringing any food over.
I know that most of the cooking is going to fall to my daughter. She's plenty old enough, but she's not very good at cleaning up after she cooks. Guess I will just have to let somethings go.
How did you handle it?

I'm so thankful my husband is cooking for himself these days. I keep thinking about all the stuff I cool and love. food beat me down before. Now I'm in control and I'm beating food down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I left my husband and son on their own for the first month, and they did fine. Many sandwiches! Now, at 6 weeks, I enjoy cooking again.

I have a large family, there are 7 of us total. I've always been the cook of the house. My children range from 16-25. My surgery was on March 19th and I had the whole crew ready to be on their own in the kitchen for at least a month. They even had partners and meal plans all picked out. I got home from the hospital on the 21st and by the 23rd I was back in the kitchen cooking full meals. I think I was looking for some degree of normalcy. Even though I couldn't eat -there was something about watching others enjoy eating that I enjoyed. The kids and husband helped me with cooking and still did the clean-up for about a month because my stamina wasn't the greatest and dishes were terrible because of where my incisions landed on the counter. I even made a huge Easter dinner on April 1st that I could have never predicted being ready for. I really enjoyed spending the extra time in the kitchen with the kids too. I would teach them how to cook their favorite meal so it really turned into a nice bonding experience.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow Diane1! YOU ROCK! We had 7 in our family back in the day. I did have some good intentions to cook. I had my sleeve done on March 30, I went home on the 31st. April 2nd, my daughter and her best friend came down with the kids for spring break. I had made a pot of sauce and meatballs because my 10yr old grandson and his best friend (the son of my daughter's best friend) loves, loves, loves them. They went grocery shopping and bought paper plates, bowls, everything but the silverware. My husband was off for 3 more days to be with me so soon after surgery. I took it easy and even went to the beach 4 days after my surg. I feel great. I have bursts of energy to get a few things done. I hope you're feeling great too!

It's just me and Mr. F. but I had my sissies and their hubs the first few days after surgery. We cooked together. I felt wonderful and it was normal feeling. After surgery was WAY easier than the 2weeks prior during the liquid pre-op phase. I just sat with them at dinner and had my Protein Drink and hot decaff and was perfectly happy.

Just try to organize your strategy now, before hand, and you will see it's much, much easier.

And no reason not to get those kiddos organized into a dishwashing chain gang. I was washing dishes by the time I was 5 (well drying and helping put away the low stuff). From a fam of 5 kids. I was making all the salads for dinner by 5 too. So cooking started early at my grandmother, mother, and sissy's elbows.

You could always meal prep for the crock pot. Prepare it all, put it in a gallon size freezer baggies and then label it with instructions. You can do all kinds of things: pulled pork, pot roast w/ veggies, chicken and noodles, Soup, different chicken... the list is endless.

I usually cook. Post surgery I had to be really careful not to sample, otherwise you fill up on the wrong stuff. If I can I try to cook for them, then cook for me and eat. I’m still done before them so I clean (I’m often uncomfortable after eating and moving helps). I do miss sitting with the wife and kids, but it’s challenging not to over eat if I’m at the table. Some frozen easy options may be good right after surgery in case you have nausea

Good idea Fluffy Chix, an chain gang of dishwashers, gotta love it. I learned my way around the kitchen pretty early,but,mine went kinda bad. My Ant Grace was pies, my mother cakes and I was Cookies. Started making Snickerdoodles at 7, and of course if there were any failures, any slightly miss' shapened they never went in the trash when they.could go down the rosy tube God put in my throat. Should have been making salads with you. Instead when I was picking up tricks of the trade we cooked enough for a threshing crew. And think,of the poor starving children in China, India etc. I now have Indian and Oriental friends, none of them expressed gratitude I ate my,portion and theirs too. So here I am, seeking surgery , for my youthful dietary indiscretions that went on and on. I am one generation ahead of , golly in the South I would be old enough to have a child your age. There's about 17 years between us,Weill my parents had just came out of the Depression where people, unless they were able to grow their own food, starved. So when I came along they wanted to make sure that their baby didn't have that problem! You had 5 siblings, I was a lonely only, and I was,loaded down with dietary excesses. Managed to keep it to slight pudgy-hood with plenty,of exercise, then puberty raised its ugly ugly year,i was told to settle down and start acting like a lady. And I bought into it and ballooned. Went from 110 to 175 in less than 6 months. Now I will try to work with my future RnY to diminish back down to that size. it is not going to be easy, well no more taking the easy eat-all-you-can way out. Junky food was an abusive boyfriend, beat me up with blobs of fat, waddle while you walk, keep you short of breath. I'm no longer going to be like those sorry broads on Jerry Springer saying "but he SAID he loved me!", Nope he did not care about my welfare or anything else associated with me. Painful as the divorce is and will be, it is happening. I have seen on Bariatric Pal there is life after bulging blubberhood, and I want and shall have it. I'm finding out vegetables taste good without buttery sauces, and a tiny helping of fruit satisfies me more than a whole Apple pie for me. And it is sometimes good to watch others with a Premier Protein shake. Oh my body is still trying to fight back, but day by day I'm going to gain a victory. I used to say if I only could be that person or that person, my lifer would be,perfect. Even wanted to be a CreekImp or Fluffy Chix, although your stories are impressive and inspiring I've got to sing my,own song,make my,own kind of music, be the best Frust8 I can be, so what if I don't end up with Fluffy Chix weight, a Creek Imp figure or one of the other pals body shapes, I can still be a good ME, love and be proud of MYSELF for what I have accomplished. And bottom line; I'll regain a healthiness I have not had for years,can't go back to being a teenager but I can be the best 72 year old possible.AND GUESS WHAT 🌏THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!😜

I was putting away dishes at 5 dusting the wood surfaces with pledge at that age too by the time I was 7 I had dish days at 10 I was doing my own laundry. I road 5 miles to the library on my own at that age too. Lol but I don't think I'd trust my nieces and nephews to do the same

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

I guess it is profiling, but I'm not sure that they are as bright as we were. Did something get bred out?😪