Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I have a date of June 4th for a vsg and I have pcos and I am prediabetic. My surgeon told me I may not lose as much as other people because of these things. I was wondering what people's experiences have been with their pcos and this surgery? Especially those of you who are also pre diabetic/insulin resistant. How much did you lose? Did you stall a lot? Did your pre diabetes resolve? Were you able to come off of medications let lower your doses? Just trying to get a Better picture from people who were in the same boat as me starting off. Thanks :)

Sent from my LG-H918 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had pre-diabetes and i'm going through peri-menopause...so I get how the hormones can play havoc with your dieting efforts.

My pre-diabetes did resolve. When I had my 3 month blood work post surgery, my A1c was normal:) (it was nearly normal at the end of my 6 month pre-surgical diet...but by 3 months post, it was excellent) I am no longer pre-diabetic.

I am now off my blood pressure meds, I am off my diuretic. And off my antidepressants. Only meds I take are thyroid and omeprazole (medication to protect tummy while heeling)...and I'm weening off the omeprazole. I do take my Vitamins every day.

Everyone loses at different rates. Some people work very hard and lose slow. Some lose fast and consistently seemingly without much effort. Youth helps. Not being diabetic helps.

I plateau and stall A LOT....but then I have sudden little bursts of weight loss. Everyone is different.

Your PCOS might require a little extra patience. But if you're consistent...you'll get there.

Best wishes!

Thank you! I know it will take extra work on my part. I've been doing 2 Protein Shakes, and 1 meal a day for 2 months already along with lots of walking and the gym. That's what worries me I'm barely losing now so I'm so afraid that it won't work :/ I guess I'm just having pre surgical jitters lol. But I know that this is what I have to do so I'm going to do it and hope for the best and work hard.

That's all you can do. It's your best shot. Wishing you patience...and success! Just stay consistent, work hard...you'll get there:)

Hi! I'm 14 days post op. I have PCOS with insulin resistant so far since March 20th I've lost 32lbs which honestly shocks me because it's always been such a huge struggle to lose weight. I know with PCOS the weight loss May be slower than others but I'm ok with that as long as I'm losing. Medication wise it think it's too early to know weather they'll be any change, the only meds i take is for my heart. Best of luck!

Hi!

I can relate - I have (had?) PCOS and insulin resistance - am 6 months post op (last week) and have lost 25kgs (55lbs). I hit my surgeon's goal weight right on the 6 month anniversary, which was a nice surprise. I've found weightloss to be incredibly slow and have stalled more times than I can count within that 6 months, but the scale always eventually moved. I do believe this is due to the PCOS and IR, and I also believe without surgery I would still be plugging away at the gym and eating well but not seeing the scale move - so frustrating. I'm happy to accept the slow loser card :)

I have PCOS also and I was wondering if I would have a slower slim down. Looks like that’s a yes. There’s really nothing on the Internet about this subject. I’m grateful for this forum

I totally get what all of you are saying. I am not diabetic or pre (so they say) I totally get the not being able to lose any significant weight no matter what we do. My surgery date is May 31st....2 week liquid diet (I’m so hungry) is happening now lol I can’t wait until surgery day!!!!!!!

I just realized how little punctuation I didn’t use [emoji23]

I am six weeks post op and down 26 pounds from 201. I have PCOS, am starting menopause and was pre-diabetic as well. I lost very little during the pre-op diet, but the weight has been coming off slowly but steadily since surgery. According to the doctor I'm a little ahead of where they'd expect me to be, so I'm feeling good about my loss so far. The important thing is that I'm feeling really good, and I'm constantly not fitting into more of my clothes. I try to look at it that if the weight comes off more slowly then I hopefully won't experience as much Hair loss and my skin will have time to shrink as well, so I'll have less loose skin at the end. My reasons for having the surgery was to reduce my risk of breast cancer and to feel better, not to be skinny, so I'm okay with the slower progress.

Edited by Travelmom49

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, alleamarie said:

Hi everyone. I have a date of June 4th for a vsg and I have pcos and I am prediabetic. My surgeon told me I may not lose as much as other people because of these things. I was wondering what people's experiences have been with their pcos and this surgery? Especially those of you who are also pre diabetic/insulin resistant. How much did you lose? Did you stall a lot? Did your pre diabetes resolve? Were you able to come off of medications let lower your doses? Just trying to get a Better picture from people who were in the same boat as me starting off. Thanks :)

I have PCOS and I'm almost 2 years post op. Although I am having issues right now with regaining weight, it's not all because of PCOS. I'm 5'6" and started at 369 as my highest weight. Surgery day I was around 325 and after surgery my lowest was 235lbs (up until September when hurricane Irma came through Florida). So I lost quite a lot (134lbs total) but I would say that PCOS definitely played a role it keeping the weight loss slower and maybe not as much as most people would have. I did have several long stalls even in the early honeymoon phase that I think I would attribute to PCOS. I was pre diabetic before my surgery and I was on both Metformin and Spironolactone to control the symptoms of my PCOS. After surgery I am no longer on those medications and MOST of my symptoms seem to be somewhat under control. HOWEVER, there were/are some issues for me. Many women with PCOS have issues with Hair growth (in places you really don't want hair) as well as issues with Hair loss on your head. If you are one of these people then I will warn you that the hair growth has gotten worse as it grows much faster and the hair loss although it is finally starting to get better for me now, my hair was VERY VERY thin for quite a long time after surgery. I always had hair that would fall out a lot in the shower but I always had thick hair even still and that part of PCOS never bothered me because it wasn't really noticeable. My hair was able to keep up and replace the hair that I lost fast enough that it didn't cause thin hair issues. After surgery it fell out pretty dramatically and the backs of my shirts and pillows were always covered in hair that had fallen out and the hair itself seemed to get frizzy and a lot less healthy. It is only now STARTING to come back but it has a long way to go still before I would say it's back to normal. Obviously the surgery doesn't cure PCOS because there is no cure, you will always have it, but it does help with many of the symptoms. I will say that I would do the surgery all over again though so don't let what I say dissuade you. It helped to give me my life back and I have NO regrets about having it done.

Edited by Lizardlady

What type of Protein Shakes do you use? Check the calorie count and sugar.

I have PCOS and IR. For the first 6 weeks post op, my surgeon took me off Metformin. At 6 weeks, she put me back on a lower dose (pre-surgery it was 1000 mg ER, post-surgery it's 500 mg ER). There was no blood work or issue that led to her putting me back on Metformin, just that that's what she does for her patients. My regular Dr will reassess when I'm closer to goal weight or at my appointment next year.

I'm 12 weeks out and have lost 52 lbs (12 pre and 40 post op). PCOS doesn't seem to be slowing down my weight loss.

Good luck to you!

That’s encouraging. My endocrinologist took me off of metformin bc we aren’t having more babies (I totally would tho) it wasn’t doing anything for me I don’t think.