Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the only one who loves their band?

I've been banded since 2007 and I only recently started visiting this site... Stupid on my part. I learned quite a few things here. I wish I had been on here when I first started out. While reading different posts to help me with my pouch dialation problems 2 weeks ago I noticed many people who have had their bands removed.

In the past I had port infection due to a Tummy Tuck, esophogeal hernia( which they originally thought was a band erosion) it was only when I was under anethstisia did my doctor see the problem and when I woke up I was totally ecstatic because I thought I would be waking up to having my band removed.it wasn't and I was grateful.

I read so many people saying how it was the worst mistake by getting banded, but I feel so lucky. It's worked so well and the problems I had were my likely self induced, you know not chewing properly, the dumb tummy tuck which wasn't necessary. Those problems could have been avoided. The thought of being without my band it frightening. This last problem of pouch dialation was a strong reality check. I have to remember how to eat and chew properly. Just because so many years have past I must not become complacent .

I was lucky to find so much info on these post at bariatric pal. I grateful for the posts I read and for future knowledge I can obtain just by reading other people's stories. I just wish I read more stories of people who have had great success with their band. I know I did and I love my band and can't image myself without it.

Edited by michellemybelle

I love my band as well. I have had it for many years and I can not imagine life without it. I am so healthy & much happier now and I am able to be apart of my children's life on a daily basis. I have had some ups and downs with my band over the years, but nothing that would cause me to have it removed. It has been a life saving tool for me.

I'm so glad too see another person who has had success with the band. I read about so many ppl who removed it and say it was a mistake. Even with the problems I have had , I can't see myself ever wanting to remove it.

I was also banded in 2007 and have had a wonderful love hate relationship with my band. I love it as a tool for meal restriction and keeping hunger in check. Hate it because it’s very difficult to overeat without doing harm.

I love It for having to take small bites and am almost always the last to finish. I hate it because if I try to eat big bites or fast then I suffer needlessly.

I have 1cc in a 4cc band. Any problems have come when I had more than 1cc.

I May or may not ever reach my goal but keeping off over 100 lb most of my journey has been entirely worth it.

I love my band and have had it for 10 years. I, too still have days I eat too fast or too big of a bite and get stuck. I retired 3 years ago and got careless and ate the wrong foods and gained about 30-35 pounds that I need and want to get back off. Unless I have a medical emergency to remove the band, I plan on dying with it in me and I refuse to go to the extreme of the other surgeries they are offering. Thank you very much but I will stay with what I have.

Can wait until Monday. I'm finally going to get my band closed again, we'll begin closing it again 2cc first then I I'll wait and see. Now I have to remember to chew well and not watch tv as I eat. That way I can count each bite before I swallow my food. Hopefully I will feel less hungry after my fill

I love my band! I definitely have good and bad days tho!

I am with you on this. I love my band and have had success with it until about two months ago when I noticed I could eat more and was gaining weight. I had not seen my Dr. in years and finally went to see him when I gained 15 lbs and had no restriction. Guess what? My esophagus was stretched and I had created a new pouch in it to hold my food. The Dr. also discovered that my port had flipped. He was able to empty out the port (after several attempts) and wanted to give my esophagus time to relax and go back to normal. Today I had a port revision. I will start the fill process all over again after my incision heals. At least I only have 20 lbs to go instead of the 80 I had when I first had the surgery. I will never go a long period of time without seeing my Dr. again.

Hi Irma, just like you I would let too much time pass between visits. I have had a big enough scare this time that I will make it a point to watch the way I chew, portions and not eating and drinking Water with meals. I was lucky this time but I don't want any more surprises for being to lax in going to my dr. I know this last problem of mine could have been avoided. I'm just glad when I had the food pouch and with my band being open for a month I just need to lose about 11 pounds to be in my normal weight again. For years I stood in that weight range. It will take some time and effort but I think I can do it again

by the way how does a port flip? What can cause it to flip.?

Anyway good luck with you port revision recovery. I hope all goes smoothly for you

I do love my band. It betrayed me about a year ago but on course now!

I just joined today and want to thank everyone for sharing your stories! I’m having the lap band surgery next Thursday, 6/28. I’m excited but nervous as well due to some of the stories I’ve read. I know lap band is not as in demand as it was previously; however, I thought it was the best option for me. It seems much less invasive than the other surgeries. Im so glad to hear you do not regret your decision. If you have any tips please let me know.

9 hours ago, Rainbows&Unicorns said:

I just joined today and want to thank everyone for sharing your stories! I’m having the lap band surgery next Thursday, 6/28. I’m excited but nervous as well due to some of the stories I’ve read. I know lap band is not as in demand as it was previously; however, I thought it was the best option for me. It seems much less invasive than the other surgeries. Im so glad to hear you do not regret your decision. If you have any tips please let me know.

Welcome and congratulations on your surgery for next Thursday.

It is important to note that no matter what choice of surgery you have you need to have a strong commitment to follow the doctors instructions and work with the tool.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice, jfc193😄. I really want this to work and plan to be totally committed to make sure i get the greatest benefits from this tool. I’m so glad I found some positive people on this forum.

I was banded several years ago and don't regret it. I'd probably opt for a sleeve today, only because the band requires a commitment to keep regular follow up visits with the doctor's office for the rest of your life. That is important, and with less doctors actively promoting the band, that could be a problem for a younger person who may have to live with a band for 50, 60 or more years.

The band is only a tool. I found I could lose fifty pounds without much work during the honeymoon phase... but now that I am a few years out I find I have to track calories, Protein and carb intake on a daily log to keep losing weight. The band works, but it takes some commitment and a change in lifestyle. I just gave up sugar and starting limiting carbs to under 100 mg a day on the advice my APRN, and that is allowing me to lose a 1/4 to 1/2 lb. a week. It adds up. Every so often I slip off the path, but even so the band does limit how much weight I can regain. Without the band I would have been still be losing only to regain it all.

Thanks so much for the information, Labwalker. I really enjoy and appreciate hearing everyone’s experience and stories. My doctor suggested the sleeve over the band; however, I decided to go with the band first. He really stressed the band was a tool and did take work and commitment. I really hope i can stay committed and be successful. One day I might have to get the sleeve, but I decided to go with the less invasive option first and hope it works😄