Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nine days to surgery and nervous

So my surgery date is set for May 2 here in Oklahoma City. I have lost 22 pounds in my pre-op diet and looking forward to a successful bypass. I was talking with a friend today who got me a little nervous. She said she has heard of many people having complications or not keeping weight off long-term. Could use some positive thoughts or advice here. I was pretty confident I was doing the right thing until I heard these horror stories.

Thanks,

Do you know the phrase, "With friends like that, who needs enemies?" Anyway, yes, there can always be complications with surgery. On the other hand, these are statistically safe surgeries with low rates of complications. You face much greater health risks by remaining obese.

As far as keeping it off long-term, you have a much better chance with surgery than just doing it on your own, where the success rate is dismal (something like 5 percent, I think). The surgery isn't magic, it just gives you a fighting chance to lose a significant amount of weight AND time to change your eating habits for long-term success.

Good luck!

Thank you. You are saying exactly what I need to hear.

I just had my sleeve done last Tuesday and I wasn't nervous until everyone started to ask me if I was nervous. I fear the future a bit, I know 2 close friends who had a bypass, one has it 12 years ago and gained about 25 back, the other cannot control herself and eats like she did pre-surgery and she had her bypass less than 3 years ago and has gained every single pound back plus MORE. Her diabetes is back and almost uncontrollable. So...I worry, but then I think of how hard I worked tO get here and how I feel right now (not the best, but not the worst ever either) the change is up to us. To me, failure is not an option! And I am sure every bariatric program has its support groups. My group is an hour and a half from me but if I feel out of control or lost, I will definitely go. It's a tool, not a magic pill or fix (as we all know). You will do great!

1 hour ago, OUBrett said:

So my surgery date is set for May 2 here in Oklahoma City. I have lost 22 pounds in my pre-op diet and looking forward to a successful bypass. I was talking with a friend today who got me a little nervous. She said she has heard of many people having complications or not keeping weight off long-term. Could use some positive thoughts or advice here. I was pretty confident I was doing the right thing until I heard these horror stories.

Thanks,

And you are TOTALLY doing the right thing.

Job had his comforters, sounds you have one also. Keep your chin up, put a smile on your face and remember you are doing the right thing for you, not anybody else. You'll dodge all the rest,of the family things obesity brings, and pretty "sooner" I will know a "sinner" that the health of will,only get better. So saddle up buckaroo🐴, you are in the Weight Loss Rodeo🐎 and you are just about to the finish line. Cross it with your head held high, now let out a Yeehaw cause you done made it!👍

3 hours ago, OUBrett said:

Thanks,

There are all kinds of stories out there. The bottom line is that you cannot use those stories to predict what your individual outcome will be. From a physical standpoint, I had absolutely no complications and everything went as smooth as could be expected. The mental side made the last 6 weeks a nightmare that I don't want to relive. I believe that as long as you follow your program's guidelines, that the chances that you will have a smooth recovery are very, very high.

I think that you mostly hear about the things that go wrong or people who don't follow what the doctors tell them. The success stories are rarely told. I have stopped reading some of the posts. I did not tell many people about my surgery prior because I did not want to hear any of the horror stories that everyone seems to have. I am so glad I did not. There are going to be risks with any surgery. 5 or 10 years ago, this surgery was much more evasive. Now it is non-evasive (five little cuts) and generally in the hospital for one night. I can state that I have no issues. I am 4 months post op. I lost 40 pounds prior to surgery and have lost 60 since surgery. I have not had any issues. I am off almost all medications. I am taking Vitamins but I took those anyway. I feel better than I have in 20 years. Go in with a great attitude, follow the surgeon team's guidance. It was one of my best decision.