Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help--Ideas for a really picky eater

Oh--should also mention my standard recommendation for Protein help if you aren't crazy about shakes--protein Water. The Protein2O water has 15 grams of protein per bottle and I find it much easier to drink than the shakes.

41 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

Oh--should also mention my standard recommendation for Protein help if you aren't crazy about shakes--protein Water. The Protein2O Water has 15 grams of Protein per bottle and I find it much easier to drink than the shakes.

Thanks! I think I saw that in the grocery store today but wasn't paying enough attention to stop and look at it. Next time I will!

49 minutes ago, Yettid said:

I don’t use Protein Shakes on a regular basis. I eat Quest bars a couple times a week because they’re delish!

I just discovered their S'Mores flavor. Yum! But since I can't have Snacks I have to make a meal of them. But I already have, twice! :)

My mantra is almost always “you trusted your surgeon to cut you open, trust their food plan.”

However... with your limitations (and I do think allergy testing may be eye opening) i think you might do well considering a surgeon with a different meal plan.< br>
Many are ok with a number of small meals to get your Protein in (I’m going on five years out and couldn’t do it all with three meals with real food even now). Most are fine with milk. And chewing food 50 times seems excessive. My plan only says 20!

I think you will be ok. It’s a life altering surgery so naturally eating will be life altering but it’s all about trial and error.

Dont stress too much about it because stress can alter a lot of things, including how we eat and what things taste like.

21 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Many are ok with a number of small meals to get your Protein in (I’m going on five years out and couldn’t do it all with three meals with real food even now). Most are fine with milk. And chewing food 50 times seems excessive. My plan only says 20!

We can't drink any beverage unless it's calorie-free, so milk and juice are out. And of course we can't drink with meals. I am just now re-reading my manual--it says to eat 1 oz of food over 15 minutes and chew to an applesauce texture. I don't know where I got 50 chews from, the nutritionist must have said it. I do remember being a bit upset because I have TMJ disorder and chewing that much hurts. The other thing it says is after the healing phases after surgery, Protein Shakes and bars are not a part of the diet. Three meals a day, real food. That's good.

I'll just have to be patient, I guess. They have a highly structured process, but at this point I have no one to talk to except the nutritionist. I haven't even met with my surgeon yet, or anyone who can answer the questions I have. That all comes in another couple of months. It's a bit frustrating, to say the least.

We can't drink any beverage unless it's calorie-free, so milk and juice are out. And of course we can't drink with meals. I am just now re-reading my manual--it says to eat 1 oz of food over 15 minutes and chew to an applesauce texture. I don't know where I got 50 chews from, the nutritionist must have said it. I do remember being a bit upset because I have TMJ disorder and chewing that much hurts. The other thing it says is after the healing phases after surgery, Protein Shakes and bars are not a part of the diet. Three meals a day, real food. That's good.

I'll just have to be patient, I guess. They have a highly structured process, but at this point I have no one to talk to except the nutritionist. I haven't even met with my surgeon yet, or anyone who can answer the questions I have. That all comes in another couple of months. It's a bit frustrating, to say the least.

Ask them if milk counts. Protein Drinks don’t, and my guess is milk may fall into that category because it’s high in Protein especially if you get fairlife or Lucerne Protein plus milk. I totally get calorie free drinks and fruit juice is pure sugar but milk is a great source of protein.

I understand your plan. Many surgeons have similar ones. But many don’t and if you have these limitations you may need one whose plan is structured differently.

You asked for ideas, that’s an out of the box one, but find a surgeon whose plan allows milk and small frequent meals.

11 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Ask them if milk counts

Alas, it does. It may sound weird, but milk is my favorite food. I grew up on a farm where all the kids just guzzled it like Water. I drink it with everything! So I had a loooong talk with the nutritionist about it. She said it is liquid calories and they fill up the pouch too fast. We can't drink with meals anyway. And nothing caloric between meals, so I would have no chance of drinking it.

Your idea of checking out a different surgeon is a possibility. I did have another post on here about just that, based on geographical distance and lifetime follow-up appointments. I am seeing a physician in the "other" place this week, to talk about their non-surgical weight loss program. I'm going to see if I can get a quick walk-through their bariatric surgery section and answers about their eating plan.

Thanks for your help! I do appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for your help and ideas! It is really nice to have a sounding board and have ideas flying at me for what to do. It helps so much for me, because there is no one to talk with in person.

Happy Monday, everyone!