Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sagging skin concerns and looking old.

Hello everyone, I recently I visited a Dr. for the gastric sleeve surgery and I have to go through a series of steps, nutritionist, psychiatrist evaluation and what not. It will be a 6 month process before I can get the ok, but honestly I'm scared. I have always bee overweight. Since I was a little girl. My heaviest been 340 at 35 years old. I recently decided to change my eating habits completely. So my starting weight in December was 297 and presently I am at 262. Never have I lost so much weight in such a short period of time and all with just will power. Anyways I do over eat at times and can gain like 10 pounds in 1 week if I do not watch what and how much I eat. So I'm thinking maybe I do need the surgery or maybe I can do it by myself going up and down the scale. But then I think if I get the surgery and I lose so excessive weight in a very short period of time how will my skin get, sagging, especially my stomach and my face. Can anyone who has had the surgery give me some feedback back on this I don't want to lose weight and look like I'm 60.

sorry your worried about looking 60. you will have saggy skin. cant say i have any on face so not sure what to say about that.

i was more worried about living to 60 not looking 60

looking old and living to be old are a fair trade off for me sorry you do not seem to agree.

Many of us can lose significant amounts of weight on our own, but very few can maintain substantial weight loss for more than a year or two. The sleeve helps with both reducing our weight rapidly and also giving you a 6-12 month "metabolism reset window" where your body adjusts to your new limited calorie intake as being your new normal, without triggering the PHYSICAL/METABOLIC/HORMONE changes that normally promote rapid regain after weight loss. It will NOT alter MENTAL/EMOTIONAL/BORED hunger though, as those are non-physical cravings that we need to manage and direct to healthier activities.

I have been obese since my late teens, and am now having the sleeve at close to 40. Maybe I'll be lucky and my skin will recover well, maybe it wont. I carry my weight all throughout my body (big arms, butt and thighs) so will likely have some substantial "bingo wings" and the thigh equivalent, as well as stretched tummy skin. I may look older too, as my chubby face probably looks younger than my skinny face will.

If you go take a look in the plastic surgery forum you can see some pictures of people who have maintained substantial weight loss, and have then chosen to have a Tummy Tuck or 360 degree body lift and other procedures.

I am lucky to be in relatively good health so far, but with parents and other close relatives with diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure issues and significant knee/joint pain I am at huge risk of major issues in my near future, and I'll take the risk of floppy skin (which I can eventually choose to have surgery on if it bothers me) over my current risks any day. :)

Thanks for the feedback Taoz and allwet. I have to see that all those same health issues run in my family and many have suffered due to these illnesses. And your right I can choose to have surgery to remove the excess skin or working my behind off trying to tone as much possible. Thanks once again.

I'm 55 and always told I look younger. I already know my body will be a mess of hanging skin, but as was said before, I'd rather live longer. Went to my appt last week and the pre-op consult with the doc was delayed 3 weeks until I get the required echocardiogram, as the cardiologist is worried about my flipfloppy heart beats that I reported. I may end up being a June rather than May sleever, but I hope not.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Kahkeetsee said:

I'm 55 and always told I look younger. I already know my body will be a mess of hanging skin, but as was said before, I'd rather live longer. Went to my appt last week and the pre-op consult with the doc was delayed 3 weeks until I get the required echocardiogram, as the cardiologist is worried about my flipfloppy heart beats that I reported. I may end up being a June rather than May sleever, but I hope not.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I have my fingers crossed for you that you will join us May sleevers :)

Not something you should stress about now. Most of the people I've seen who've had significant weight loss look amazing!!

Edited by Beck53

So what if I end up looking like a Shar Pei? People want them, keep it with them , pay top dollar for,a specimen and even enter them in "top of the line" dog shows. I,might even be able to,stand being called 🐶Precious,for frequent small feedings of expensive treats and foods. 😜

I know how you feel. Loose skin issues were probably the biggest con for me regarding getting this surgery. I just made a decision that I was going to do this and I was finally going to be happy with my body. So when I get near goal I'll evaluate where I'm sagging, and have plastic surgery. I've spent too much of my life not being physically happy with myself, and decided to finally do something about it!

At a 27.5 loss,. my face is starting to sag (I'm 50). I'm getting botox next week but I think thinner people look younger than heavier folks. Regardless, I'm glad I had VGS.

Yep. It happens. I am 58 and 3 months post op. Between the yo yo weight fluctuations I decided to stop fighting the hormones, age related spread and having to take awful BP meds that made me sick. I see my face and neck are drooping as the fat melts away, my skin is excessively dry... and, I have a few rolls of skin... won’t mention the breasts... [emoji44] But, people seem to think I look great.. My brain is still processing this sudden drop of significant weight... my clothes are hanging on me.... good problem to have. So, I am lining up a plastic surgeon because once I hit my target weight I desire to cross the finish line in style. That’s being the best version of me that I can be.

I has VSG in July last year and I have lost 70 pounds from 233lbs. I don't have much of saggy skin but I sometimes almost trip on my boobs when I am walking. I can't afford plastics so that's how I will live from now on. Like what most people are saying here, the health trade off is huge. I am almost to the point of losing 100% of my excess weight. I still would not trade that with firmer non-droopy boobs any day! I now eat healthy, exercise everyday and just feel so much happier with my life and my health.

At a 27.5 loss,. my face is starting to sag (I'm 50). I'm getting botox next week but I think thinner people look younger than heavier folks. Regardless, I'm glad I had VGS.

How did the Botox go? I’m considering it myself but I’m only 2 weeks out.

HW 289
SW 262
CW ? (5/14= 248lbs)

VSG 5/2/18 [emoji92]
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

I had a very very full face and a HUGE neck. I was very worried about the "turkey neck" scenario. A couple vets recommended Bio Oil. I bought it from Walmart and I'm in love with the results. My skin has never felt so hydrated. I keep getting comments on how clear my skin is and how my make up is so smooth. I think it's helping with the age appearance of my skin from the weight loss. I use the oil twice a day. I let it really soak in (20 mins) before applying any make up or before going to bed and risking it rubbing off on my pillow. I thought that the concept of oil on my face would never work for me. But it doesn't leave a residue for very long and the smell is mild. The best part is that for facial products, it is fairly inexpensive. I've bought beauty cream for much more in the past.

Edited by AshAsh1

This was one of my hugest fears, and since I liked the way I look big, as did my husband it made the fear worse. Plenty of good men like a big women but who has a loose skin fetish?

At the end of the day I have two small kids that need their mommy, so I had to throw my aesthetic concerns out.

My advice, think about why you are having surgery. If it is for merely aesthetics, maybe it is not the best choice for you. If it is for your health and longevity then you have your answer. All best.

Edited by YeahOkay31