Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The last thing I needed to get my surgery date was a CPAP machine. I decided to go through the VA for this, because they appeared to be pricy. They scheduled me an appointment after I sent my primary physician the results of my at home sleep study conducted through SNAP diagnostic. I paid $375 for the sleep study test which was done over the course of three nights. The VA scheduled me an appointment date that I thought was fairly far out, when I asked about getting an appointment sooner, they advised I had to have a physician appointment in order to receive the equipment. So, I am excited about getting this last little bit done, but I can wait.

I get to my appointment and the guy in front of me is asleep, in a wheel chair, and on oxygen. I go to the counter and make sure he is checked in before I check in. As I am waiting in the lobby I witness every other person checking in do the same thing I did. I am feeling good about people and my fellow vets taking care of each other. The nurse (LVN) calls me back for vitals and the standard questions start. I interrupt her and ask, do you really have to ask the same questions for every single visit? She said they have to because so many vets commit suicide. So I answer all her questions without her asking them. No, I am not depressed, suicidal, having trouble at home, in an abusive relationship, or homeless.

Next stop Doctor right? Nope, it is another nurse (I think nurse practitioner, but the fine print was too small to read). He spends 10 minutes advising me why SNAP Diagnostics isn't really very good and that their algorithm for determining pressure is outdated. Why they are going to go ahead and provide a VA CPAP even though the VA in-house sleep study is so much better. He then tells me how dangerous it was for my oxygen to go down to 77% for 20 minutes and how I stopped breathing 22 times. I am thinking, I read the report before I gave it to you, I want the machine, you don't have to talk me into it. He then describes how the new machines works and it is pretty cool, they calibrate automatically based on your breathing. Then I am thinking why did you spend all that time telling me about the math problem SNAP uses to calibrate pressure if the machine is going to do it automatically anyway. Then he says, we will see you back in a month or so to get you fitted for your CPAP. Wait, what about my dangerously low oxygen?

I really wanted to go off, but instead stated, I thought the reason I had to wait so long was for a physician appointment in order to receive a CPAP. He then advised that this is my physician appointment. I really don't care if they count a nurse practitioner appointment as a physician appointment, but I am thinking to myself I can read and your badge and it does not say Doctor, so someone is lying to me. But alas, I know if I don't stay calm I will not achieve my objectives. So, I explain to him that I will have to pay out of pocket again to re-do labs if I do not receive this CPAP machine. I also tell him that I know I can buy one on Amazon or go through the medical supply store that SNAP recommended. He starts telling me why those are both bad ideas and I tell him I have to do what I have to do.

He then says he will see if he can get them to double book so I can see the Doctor today. Then he has the gall to say that my appointment will cause other 100% disabled and service connected vets to have to wait longer. So, I sit back out in the lobby feeling a little guilty, when I get called back sooner than expected by a tech who fits me for the machine and goes over all the instructions in less than ten minutes. She was super nice and wished me luck on my surgery. I thanked her for squeezing me in and told her how much money she saved me.

So, I will have my surgery date by next week. Since I am not officially on a pre-op diet I am going to have a 97 calorie shot of vodka later to Celebrate not losing my sh** at the VA.

The last thing I needed to get my surgery date was a CPAP machine. I decided to go through the VA for this, because they appeared to be pricy. They scheduled me an appointment after I sent my primary physician the results of my at home sleep study conducted through SNAP diagnostic. I paid $375 for the sleep study test which was done over the course of three nights. The VA scheduled me an appointment date that I thought was fairly far out, when I asked about getting an appointment sooner, they advised I had to have a physician appointment in order to receive the equipment. So, I am excited about getting this last little bit done, but I can wait.
I get to my appointment and the guy in front of me is asleep, in a wheel chair, and on oxygen. I go to the counter and make sure he is checked in before I check in. As I am waiting in the lobby I witness every other person checking in do the same thing I did. I am feeling good about people and my fellow vets taking care of each other. The nurse (LVN) calls me back for vitals and the standard questions start. I interrupt her and ask, do you really have to ask the same questions for every single visit? She said they have to because so many vets commit suicide. So I answer all her questions without her asking them. No, I am not depressed, suicidal, having trouble at home, in an abusive relationship, or homeless.
Next stop Doctor right? Nope, it is another nurse (I think nurse practitioner, but the fine print was too small to read). He spends 10 minutes advising me why SNAP Diagnostics isn't really very good and that their algorithm for determining pressure is outdated. Why they are going to go ahead and provide a VA CPAP even though the VA in-house sleep study is so much better. He then tells me how dangerous it was for my oxygen to go down to 77% for 20 minutes and how I stopped breathing 22 times. I am thinking, I read the report before I gave it to you, I want the machine, you don't have to talk me into it. He then describes how the new machines works and it is pretty cool, they calibrate automatically based on your breathing. Then I am thinking why did you spend all that time telling me about the math problem SNAP uses to calibrate pressure if the machine is going to do it automatically anyway. Then he says, we will see you back in a month or so to get you fitted for your CPAP. Wait, what about my dangerously low oxygen?
I really wanted to go off, but instead stated, I thought the reason I had to wait so long was for a physician appointment in order to receive a CPAP. He then advised that this is my physician appointment. I really don't care if they count a nurse practitioner appointment as a physician appointment, but I am thinking to myself I can read and your badge and it does not say Doctor, so someone is lying to me. But alas, I know if I don't stay calm I will not achieve my objectives. So, I explain to him that I will have to pay out of pocket again to re-do labs if I do not receive this CPAP machine. I also tell him that I know I can buy one on Amazon or go through the medical supply store that SNAP recommended. He starts telling me why those are both bad ideas and I tell him I have to do what I have to do.
He then says he will see if he can get them to double book so I can see the Doctor today. Then he has the gall to say that my appointment will cause other 100% disabled and service connected vets to have to wait longer. So, I sit back out in the lobby feeling a little guilty, when I get called back sooner than expected by a tech who fits me for the machine and goes over all the instructions in less than ten minutes. She was super nice and wished me luck on my surgery. I thanked her for squeezing me in and told her how much money she saved me.
So, I will have my surgery date by next week. Since I am not officially on a pre-op diet I am going to have a 97 calorie shot of vodka later to Celebrate not losing my sh** at the VA.

Congrats at keeping your cool! It’s hard with VA. We are military and they make nothing easy for those who have sacrificed. I’m glad it all worked out for you.
Thank you for your service!

Thanks to you and your family as well! It is nice for someone to acknowledge that it takes work not lose it :D.

Gosh, let me tell you what the VA did to my hubby. For 5 years they kept telling my hubby was fine and didnt have cancer on his kidne. Well, he did and he finally got a few gahonnas with me there looking at him to push forward unless he wanted me to step up!! Finally, we went to a URolgist local he stated he want him to go to a Specialest in Eugene. (we live in Oregon) Come to find out he had full blown cancer in his kidney!! So the VA in Portland realized it was a BULL S*** thing and they did the eblasion and thought they got it all!! THOUGHT!!NOT but they seem not to concerned with what is left on his kidney, now he has something on his liver and something on the other kidney. I have almost come to my end with these duffist DR. I tld my hubby they were not concerned for 5 years and look were this has put you. The only thing is I have Champ VA for the rest of my life. Even the Adovate said that we should sue the Goverment for all of this...but do u think we can find a Lawyer to take the case!! HHMM I can't believe how all of this has come down the pike. I am going to insist he makes a trip to Portland, which is a 4 hour trip but they are scaring me! Sorry I just need to vent I guess. Good luck for your WLS. Thank you for listening as if you have a choice right. LOL

1 hour ago, WildcatGirl71 said:

Congrats at keeping your cool! It’s hard with VA. We are military and they make nothing easy for those who have sacrificed. I’m glad it all worked out for you.
Thank you for your service!

I haven't been to the VA in 12 years, it's just not worth the aggravation.

Gosh, let me tell you what the VA did to my hubby. For 5 years they kept telling my hubby was fine and didnt have cancer on his kidne. Well, he did and he finally got a few gahonnas with me there looking at him to push forward unless he wanted me to step up!! Finally, we went to a URolgist local he stated he want him to go to a Specialest in Eugene. (we live in Oregon) Come to find out he had full blown cancer in his kidney!! So the VA in Portland realized it was a BULL S*** thing and they did the eblasion and thought they got it all!! THOUGHT!!NOT but they seem not to concerned with what is left on his kidney, now he has something on his liver and something on the other kidney. I have almost come to my end with these duffist DR. I tld my hubby they were not concerned for 5 years and look were this has put you. The only thing is I have Champ VA for the rest of my life. Even the Adovate said that we should sue the Goverment for all of this...but do u think we can find a Lawyer to take the case!! HHMM I can't believe how all of this has come down the pike. I am going to insist he makes a trip to Portland, which is a 4 hour trip but they are scaring me! Sorry I just need to vent I guess. Good luck for your WLS. Thank you for listening as if you have a choice right. LOL

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Prayers for both of you!

Oh my gosh was your husband in desert storm? My husband has cysts on his pancreas and adrenal gland, COPD and messed up ankle that is held together with bolts (the only thing they found service connected). Waiting the 25 years for lawsuit is just not worth it. We have/ had so many service friends with Philadelphia positive leukemia. The ones that are still here went to MD Anderson in Houston. Those counting on the VA are no longer here. The adrenal gland cyst causes him to lose weight, so he has to eat a lot of high calorie stuff. We are an interesting pair...

Actually, he was in the VIETNAM war. This is so sad guys put their lives on hold fight for their country and get handed a rash of S***!! So sorry for what your hubby has to face. Only 1 thing out of all his health failures is counted! If my hubby's Cancer would have been aggresive he would have passed away much sooner than the 5 years!! I hope all is getting better for you and yours.