Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

O.k. folks. I know several of ya'll have had slight unfills. I have to go in today and have one. Do you go on Clear Liquids after an unfill like you do when you get a fill? :cursing:

same as brandy - same day liquids only, ease back into regular food as tolerated.

Ok Ebony, my request to PM you sounds weird, so I'll just ask here. I seriously need help and don't know who to ask! I've seen several of your posts on other threads and you always seem most helpful so I was hoping you wouldn't mind if I asked you for help.

We adopted our DD when she was a baby. She was 2 days old when we brought her home from the hospital. DD is 1/2 black and the other 1/2 is 3/4 mexican and 1/4 italian.

I need help with her hair! It's absolutely beautiful! Dark brown, almost black with highlights of lighter browns, soft and fine and very curly! I love her hair! Problem. It tangles the instant I'm through brushing it out. It's helped since I've started putting it in braids at night. It's long enough I can do 2. It's so curly that her braids actually curl up! I can do her hair in the AM and within an hour, literally, it's like a rat's nest!

I've been trying products like crazy but nothing seems to work or work well. Some stuff is too sticky, too heavy, not strong enough, not whatever. I don't know if I need a de-tangler or a smoother (just saw that one at Target tonight while looking for something new to try). I don't know what a smoother does! That's part of the problem too. I don't know any thing about specialized products, no matter the hair type! I Shampoo and condition my hair and air dry. That's it other than combing and brushing!

So, my question is ~ do you have any suggestions, where to find help, product ideas, etc?

I seriously need help! TIA!!

Hey! Sorry, I know you were asking someone else - but I also have very curly hair. I go to another website for that help. I know how difficult it can be to keep it looking nice without having to resort to nasty chemicals! This website was actually made by a suggestion of someone else here (can't remember who). Give it a try!

CurlTalk - Powered by vBulletin

Here's another website you might find helpful:

Welcome

Hey! Sorry, I know you were asking someone else - but I also have very curly hair. I go to another website for that help. I know how difficult it can be to keep it looking nice without having to resort to nasty chemicals! This website was actually made by a suggestion of someone else here (can't remember who). Give it a try!

Welcome

Diva!

These are great resources - thank you for posting them! I'll add them to my list as well. Depending on which side of her heritage Heartfire's baby girl gets her hair from, these could be extremely useful.

Side note: I'd love to have hair like the woman on the Tightly Curly website *sigh* her hair is gorgeous!:cursing:

Diva - thanks for that link! DD has had her hair relaxed twice, but she and I both talked to her friend's mother who threatened me if I did it again - yikes! Luckily, DD is coming to the conclusion that she looks really damn cute with her hair curly.

Now, we have to work past the frizz. She has tentacle like hairs that stick up on the top of her head. And, I used to be able to "lick" them down by wetting my hand and just patting it, but since the relaxer, those babies just stick up no matter what!!!

PJTP - I really, really, HATE it when people ask me something, I answer and then they ARGUE with my answer.

Over simplified example:

Q - "where can I get xyz?"

Ans - "you can't anymore - it's discontinued"

response - "but I was getting xyz"

WTH? why did you ask me in the first f'ing place if you don't believe my answer???

And, I KNOW I'm right. I've worked here longer, I know more about the subject matter than this person - which is why they asked me to begin with - ARRRGGH. I hate people.

ebony & glou, np! I love those sites - and for sure the tightly curly lady is my hair Idol. :lol:)

Hi Heartfire,

Your baby girl sounds gorgeous! I think you're doing the right thing with the braids - I would encourage you also to braid her hair slightly damp and use big braids - small ones can cause almost as many tangles as they prevent!

Thank you! She's adorable! I usually have to soak it to get a brush through. A comb just won't do it most times. I'm afraid of tearing her hair too. I don't do the itty-bitty multi amounts of braids, just 2, 1 on each side. Mornings are sooo much easier since braids!

I would also investigate Pantene's Relaxed and Natural hair care line - I use their products and they are very good at keeping moisture in the hair (read - more defined curls) and helping to detangle. They also have a Curls line, but I think that's more for caucasian-based hair and it might be too drying for your baby girl's hair, since she's half African-American. See if your local store has sample packets available, or try a beauty-and-barber supply house.

Her hair will get dry sometimes so I don't think I'll try the Curls line but the other sounds great.

The thing I hope you don't have to do is to put chemicals (i.e. a relaxer) in her hair. That, IMO, causes more damage than can be offset by the relatively easier combing time. How old is your daughter now? If she's still under 5, her hair may change as she gets older. Because it's fine, she will have the curls probably most of the time - if it starts to get heavy (as it gets longer) the curls may relax somewhat.

No! The only thing I've tried is detanglers, leave-in conditioners and yesterday at Target I bought a bottle of "Oil Moisturizing Lotion." We'll see. Oh and DD is almost 3 (end of May).

There is a terrific website - nappturality.com - which is primarily for women of color with natural hair. I bet you'd find additional help there, since that's also where I went when I decided to go natural after 30 years of relaxing. I believe there are links to sites for women with curly hair as well there.

Please feel free to PM me if you need further help, have more questions, or anything...I'm happy to try and help!:lol:

Thank you!

No problem! I'll take all the help, advice and suggestions I can!

Welcome

Thank you!

Diva - thanks for that link! DD has had her hair relaxed twice, but she and I both talked to her friend's mother who threatened me if I did it again - yikes! Luckily, DD is coming to the conclusion that she looks really damn cute with her hair curly.

I love DD's curls. I'm trying to get a handle on things now so we don't have the "I hate my hair" issues when she gets older! Yes, I know, we'll have them anyway but I'm still trying! LOL!

Now, we have to work past the frizz. She has tentacle like hairs that stick up on the top of her head. And, I used to be able to "lick" them down by wetting my hand and just patting it, but since the relaxer, those babies just stick up no matter what!!!

OMGosh! DD's hair has a life of it's own! It kinda goes "Don King" on us! You should see it in the AM if we don't braid it! Yikes! It's so cute when I braid it or put it in a ponytail but she loves it free and without barrettes too! I very rarely get to "do" her hair with accessories! LOL! She loves her hair "free!" I'll see if I can post some pics later.

Oh crud! I've gotta get going! I'm taking her to the dr. Both of us have been sick forever! And I've got to do payroll before we leave so I can drop it off at the office. Have a great day ladies! Thank you SO much for your help! I can't wait to check those sites out!!

At the risk of sounding too PG, she's probably conversing with her guardian angels...my son used to do the same thing, and so did my daughter.

I think it's adorable...just as long as you don't hear her getting answers :lol:

Hehe, I agree! Babies and pets see them.

I don't buy any clothes that require dry cleaning or ironing. Those are my personal rules to live by.

Why I have been having an emotional meltdown, you guys posted about 20 pages. I am not even going to attempt to catch up, so let me know if I missed anything good.

I like to wear clothes that have more wrinkles than my face. This is why I wear linen a lot.

pets see them.

I have always believed cats are tuned into a parallel universe or something - it is the only explanation for some of their behaviors.

I like to wear clothes that have more wrinkles than my face. This is why I wear linen a lot.

Hysterical :lol::lol::):lol:

I have always believed cats are tuned into a parallel universe or something - it is the only explanation for some of their behaviors.

Invisible mice.....!