Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding the courage to get gastric sleeve done in Mexico with a BMI of 33

On 5/6/2018 at 5:19 PM, Frustr8 said:

And I wish you only the beast of luck with all the decisions,you make.

Aww. That is just so incredibly sweet. Thank you. People like you and everyone who was kind enough to chime in and give their advice are the reason why I joined this forum. The support is amazing!!

I was watching Dr. Alvarez on youtube today and he said that the procedure you had has mixed results and is not reliable, not permanent, has to be readjusted and is more costly than going to Mexico. Granted, he is selling his services, but it made a lot of sense. I say go for it! I am a mother of of 2 under 16 and I just had to take the risk in hopes that I can be there for them for many years to come in an active way. FYI: I didn't use Dr. Alvarez nor did I travel to Mexico, but I know 2 people personally that did and love him. You will not know until you try. I really didn't look back once I had my first appointment. It was full steam ahead and i had a really good feeling about it. Of course, my husband loves me just the way I am and questioned my desire to take the risk. He is not in my shoes and like everyone here I have dieted and had some great results, but they were short lived. At some point, my health might be compromised due to obesity related issues and it would be just an uphill struggle no matter what weightloss road I would try to get the weight off again . In many ways - time and health are on on your side. It might not always be like that. If you are committed to doing it- go for it!

First, I have to apologize that I only read your post, and not everyone else’s responses, so this might be in duplicate. I have similar stats, and started out with a BMI of 35.1 with comorbidities, just passed the medical requirement. I’m 45, 5’3, and at my highest I was 204. By the time I made the decision and did the 2 week liquid pre-op, I was down to 185 on surgery day. I’m only 5 weeks p.o., and have lost 16lbs. However, far more inches than I have lost in pounds in previous attempts. There is such a thing as a stall. Mine didn’t kick in until week 4.5. Yes, I’m in the middle of it now. But, since you’ve already had an ESG, and are at 3 mos, you may have been on a stall (it can last a few weeks). What they also tell us who have fallen of the wagon is to reset. You have to go through the entire post-op stages again. I’d give it more time and another shot before going through another procedure. You don’t need more trauma at this time. Best of luck to you.

Hi, I had gastric sleeve done with Dr. Ponce de León in TJ Dec 2016. I had a great experience his team was very professional and kind. He is one of the leading Bariatric surgeons and I highly recommend him.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:57 PM, KCwithGSV said:

First, I have to apologize that I only read your post, and not everyone else’s responses, so this might be in duplicate. I have similar stats, and started out with a BMI of 35.1 with comorbidities, just passed the medical requirement. I’m 45, 5’3, and at my highest I was 204. By the time I made the decision and did the 2 week liquid pre-op, I was down to 185 on surgery day. I’m only 5 weeks p.o., and have lost 16lbs. However, far more inches than I have lost in pounds in previous attempts. There is such a thing as a stall. Mine didn’t kick in until week 4.5. Yes, I’m in the middle of it now. But, since you’ve already had an ESG, and are at 3 mos, you may have been on a stall (it can last a few weeks). What they also tell us who have fallen of the wagon is to reset. You have to go through the entire post-op stages again. I’d give it more time and another shot before going through another procedure. You don’t need more trauma at this time. Best of luck to you.

I thank you for this. I have given it more time. I’ve been eating healthy and exercising. This has only gotten me to maintain my current weight. I would do the reset as you suggested but it was extremely difficult when I did it preop and trying it now, although somewhat easier after the ESG, is still a struggle. I’m honestly kind of stuck in limbo here. I have looked into a very reputable surgeon in Mexico who is highly skilled at performing revisions. I wanted to achieve greater weight loss and believed that ESG would do that. The only benefit I’ve experienced was the initial 10 pound loss and then maintenance.

The trama you mentioned is more mental trama. I feel like such a failure and it’s because I didn’t get anywhere near my goal. I hope that getting a gastric sleeve the results will be a greater weight loss. It will come with hard work and more pain and discomfort, I’m prepared for that if it means I will finally feel comfortable in my skin. For me, the physical pain would have been worth the weight loss. I would have traded having more pain and discomfort with the ESG for a losing more weight any day!

Thank you so much for kind words of concern. I hope to find continued support here with whatever decision I make. I’m leaning towards getting sleeved though. I’m tired of the mental struggle.

1 hour ago, MonicaVee said:

Hi, I had gastric sleeve done with Dr. Ponce de León in TJ Dec 2016. I had a great experience his team was very professional and kind. He is one of the leading Bariatric surgeons and I highly recommend him.

Thanks a million. I’ve really wanted to hear from people who actually had their sleeve with him. Can you please give me a little more info about your experience? I’ve tentatively scheduled with him for a single incision gastric sleeve on June 28. Please give me a rundown of your day to day there. I will be going alone and quite scared but so excited and hopeful. How much did you lose? What were your stats? Please give me as much info as you can.

Have you heard of the mini gastric bypass or MGB? I’m going to Dr Ponce in July for that post sleeve in December 2016. Wish I had chosen that one from the beginning. Check out Dr Rutledge on YouTube. He trained Dr Ponce in using his technique.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:14 PM, melmssc said:

I was watching Dr. Alvarez on youtube today and he said that the procedure you had has mixed results and is not reliable, not permanent, has to be readjusted and is more costly than going to Mexico. Granted, he is selling his services, but it made a lot of sense. I say go for it! I am a mother of of 2 under 16 and I just had to take the risk in hopes that I can be there for them for many years to come in an active way. FYI: I didn't use Dr. Alvarez nor did I travel to Mexico, but I know 2 people personally that did and love him. You will not know until you try. I really didn't look back once I had my first appointment. It was full steam ahead and i had a really good feeling about it. Of course, my husband loves me just the way I am and questioned my desire to take the risk. He is not in my shoes and like everyone here I have dieted and had some great results, but they were short lived. At some point, my health might be compromised due to obesity related issues and it would be just an uphill struggle no matter what weightloss road I would try to get the weight off again . In many ways - time and health are on on your side. It might not always be like that. If you are committed to doing it- go for it!

So sorry that I haven’t responded to you yet. Thank you for this. I am getting mixed opinions about having the sleeve done. Thankfully, I have confidence in the surgeon I’ve chosen, Dr. Ponce which I think makes this somewhat easier. I’m prepared to follow the eating plan pre and post op to the letter. I will not fail this time. My husband thankfully has finally agreed to this although he, like yours, says he loves me just the way I am. I told him I appreciate his good intentions and love him for being so kind and not critical of my looks ever but I need to do this for me. He may be happy with the way I look but I’m not and I can’t be the best mom and wife I can be if I’m not happy with myself.

It is reassuring to hear that the majority of those who have gone to Mexico have a great experience. I’m feeling good about this and putting myself in God’s hands. I’ll need prayers dear. I’m scheduled for June 28.

Do it! I have similar stats as you do! I was 195 when I got my surgery in Mexico on 4/27 and am down 20 pounds at 175! I know that starting at a lower weight will result in slower losing, but I am 100% happy with my decision! Now that I’m on solids I realize how much my sleeve will help! I’ve dont every diet lost and found a million pounds and I feel confident that this will be the end of that! I can eat a little and feel full and satisfied! I crave better foods because I know I can’t eat a lot and I want to make sure my body gets what it needs! I am madly in love with my sleeve!!

11 hours ago, teacherlady095 said:

Do it! I have similar stats as you do! I was 195 when I got my surgery in Mexico on 4/27 and am down 20 pounds at 175! I know that starting at a lower weight will result in slower losing, but I am 100% happy with my decision! Now that I’m on solids I realize how much my sleeve will help! I’ve dont every diet lost and found a million pounds and I feel confident that this will be the end of that! I can eat a little and feel full and satisfied! I crave better foods because I know I can’t eat a lot and I want to make sure my body gets what it needs! I am madly in love with my sleeve!!

Love to hear stories like yours. When I was 175 pounds I was happy with my weight and confident in myself. I am fully prepared for the slower loss. In fact I’d prefer that because I am not telling anyone about this. So losing slowly will definitely not raise suspicion.

I am curious though about how your eating was before the surgery. Did you suffer from bored and emotional eating like I do? Did you have a preop diet and if you did what was it and for how long. Would you mind giving me the breakdown of the 20 pound weight loss? For example: After Week 1–x amount of weight lost. Week 2 and so on. Thank you. I’m just looking for a comparison since our stats are very similar although I know that each person’s weight loss experience will be different.

Congratulations! And please keep us updated!

Did you do the six months of meetings with a Nutritionist first? Most challenges I read about , especially with self pay, had to do with not the same requirements that insurance companies require. Also, have you seen an Endroconogist? I gave myself an injection for six months with a drug called Saxenda. They have a Facebook page. I would sure try to make your existing situation work before I went for another procedure.

On 6/13/2018 at 12:56 AM, Golfgal51 said:

Did you do the six months of meetings with a Nutritionist first? Most challenges I read about , especially with self pay, had to do with not the same requirements that insurance companies require. Also, have you seen an Endroconogist? I gave myself an injection for six months with a drug called Saxenda. They have a Facebook page. I would sure try to make your existing situation work before I went for another procedure.

That is of course great advice and I would agree but unfortunately I have pretty much exhausted all the other alternatives. I have taken saxenda before for about three to four months. It was incredibly expensive and I did not lose weight on it. I have tried every FDA approved weight loss drug out there—Qysmia, belviq, and phentermine. This leads me to my next response about the nutritionist— that is where I got the prescription to try these meds out. I have gone to various nutritionists and still see one every four weeks. Unfortunately, although I really do appreciate your help and advice, I’ve tried most nonsurgical methods and I’ve had limited if not no success. I totally see your point that I should definitely try to exhaust all options before turning to surgery—you make complete sense but I really have tried almost everything. At this point I need to see some initial weight loss to keep me motivated to keep on the plan. With every failed attempt I gain more and more and I have to put a stop to this. It really is affecting all aspects of my everyday life.

Thank you though for caring enough to post. It’s been a long, hard, and painful road that has led me to this. I did not come to this decision easily or by any means without years of trying and failing over and over again.

I had an MGB in Tijuana with low BMI and am now below goal weight. Yeah! But I recently developed bile reflux, which is quite serious, so I will be revising to an RNY next month. If I had to do it all over again, I would go to Dr. Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric Center for an RNY. I encourage you to contact him for a consult to hear what he recommends for you post-ESG. Even if you chose another MX surgeon, it is helpful to talk to 2-3 to ensure you make the right choice of procedure for you and your situation.

Please remember that WLS is just a tool. It is a great way to reset your metabolic rate but all of the surgeries can be eaten around, leading to regain. You need to get your head on straight for long term success; you may find therapy a useful tool to help you address your emotional eating tendencies. Good luck.

Hi! Just wondering if there was a follow up to this? Did you have your surgery? Did you decide to wait? My stats and story are similar to yours and I just feel I'm drowning every day that I am not proactive in making this decision.

Hi I’m having surgery with Pompeii Surgical in Mexico on feb 20th. Still looking for a buddy going around that time