Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 60 and getting sleeve on 4/24/18

It sounds like you are doing fabulous. I just turned 60 in February and am getting sleeved this Wednesday. Wondering if you were given anti nausea medication. I was prescribed a medication called EMEND that I take 2 hours prior to surgery and is supposed to help. It cost over $200 for 1 dose (only $17 after---thank God for good insurance) but the clinic nurses say it really works. I dread the thought of nausea and/or vomiting after surgery. I am not a fan of pain meds either but I do have a big jug of Tylenol with Codeine if needed.

Glad it is going well for you. Just what I needed to read this morning:)

It sounds like you are doing fabulous. I just turned 60 in February and am getting sleeved this Wednesday. Wondering if you were given anti nausea medication. I was prescribed a medication called EMEND that I take 2 hours prior to surgery and is supposed to help. It cost over $200 for 1 dose (only $17 after---thank God for good insurance) but the clinic nurses say it really works. I dread the thought of nausea and/or vomiting after surgery. I am not a fan of pain meds either but I do have a big jug of Tylenol with Codeine if needed.
Glad it is going well for you. Just what I needed to read this morning

I did not use anti-nausea medication. I did experience dry-heaves three times while in the hospital, mostly after I moved or twisted. I think it was a side-effect of getting familiar with what I can and cannot do right after surgery. So, I learned quickly to move mindfully! No more nausea since being in the hospital. I was thankful for the pain meds at home. I was prescribed liquid Lortab, up to 15 ml four times/day as needed. I did fine on 10 ml as needed. On Saturday, I only needed it before bed, and yesterday, I didn't need any! I find I am still sore in my largest incision, as warned, and am careful to continue to move carefully to avoid pulling it. Prayers for an uneventful surgery for you on Wednesday!

Sent from my XT1052 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh, and I have been having some BM since day 5 (yesterday). Who'd ever thunk I'd be so thrilled to poo!

@Vicki@60 I am very proud of you, Your Generation-Mates knew all along you were quality merchandise, you're going to do just fine with this all. Let all the youngins. see how a real lady handles things!👉😝👈

Congratulations! I had my sleeve done at 61 a little over 2 years ago. I had a lifetime history of dieting but never maintaining at goal, high BP, pre-diabetic and all the weight caused aches and pains. I've been maintaining at my current weight for 17 months now. It was truly the best thing I ever did for my health.

1 hour ago, LizCapeCod said:

Congratulations! I had my sleeve done at 61 a little over 2 years ago. I had a lifetime history of dieting but never maintaining at goal, high BP, pre-diabetic and all the weight caused aches and pains. I've been maintaining at my current weight for 17 months now. It was truly the best thing I ever did for my health.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story!

I'm 62 and am having my VSG on Monday May 7th. I'm glad we'll be going through this journey together! Good luck everyone!

9 hours ago, Neon Star said:

I'm 62 and am having my VSG on Monday May 7th. I'm glad we'll be going through this journey together! Good luck everyone!

Good luck on your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

On 4/17/2018 at 11:41 AM, Vicki@60 said:

Any other women my age or older on this journey?

@Vicki@60

jumping up and down raising my hand - here i am, here i am

i was one month shy of turning 58 DOS. 6+ years later i'm still

hangin' in there.

you are 10 days PO, catch me if you can:D

keep up with your Protein and Water - while your weight goes down!!

good luck

kathy

So @Vickie@60--How is your healing going? Hoping every day you are gaining strength and starting to live and love the Good Life. I still am waiting for,my surgery but little things are starting to fall into place and I'm hopeful days are winding down towards it😝 So please update if you can, I'm very interested and I'm sure others are also😝

I'm 62 and eight months post-op. Have had some ups and downs with the weight loss but still working at this and hoping for much more loss. Or some more. Whatever happens . . . I'm diabetic and currently on about half the meds I was pre-op. The real motivation for me was knee pain; I still have that, but the cortisone shots were much more effective last time, so I'm hopeful this will continue to improve.

No matter where I finally get to with the loss, I'm so happy I did this and have made the progress I have so far. The first month after surgery sucked, but it's been getting better ever since. I was lucky: very little pain post-surgery and nausea only once or twice (from overeating--both times, I went out to Breakfast and drank coffee with my meal--that'll teach me).

Good luck to all!

Any other women my age or older on this journey? I'm turning 60 in September. Getting sleeve next week after nearly 6 decades of struggling with weight. Why now (finally)? Trying to keep from crossing the line from "borderline diabetic, borderline this, borderline that" to actually becoming diabetic, etc. Highest weight prior to starting my journey: 308; current weight 286; surgeon says my goal is 170, but I'd be pleased at 200. I'm 5' 10".
On my one-week pre-op fast. Fortunately, my fast includes 7 Protein supplements/day and Clear Liquids. So, for me that's a shake or Soup or bar every two hours. It was tough yesterday (day 1), but feeling better today.

Hi!

Turning 59 in June and had the sleeve done on 5/2!

Yesterday and the day before were rough, but it gets better each day. Today was very manageable.

HW: 225
SW: 214 (5/2/2018)
CW: 208
GW: 145

Today, I am two weeks out from surgery. Started back to work yesterday (sedentary job). Feeling good except for my knee (my last cortisone shot wore off two weeks before VSG, but I have to wait until Thursday to get another!) I left the hospital on full liquids (basically, anything I could blend enough to drink). At my follow-up with the surgeon last Thursday, I progressed to a soft food diet. In celebration, I rewarded myself with dinner out and had some white fish and carrots. As I only could eat about an ounce of the fish, it turned into about a total of five meals at home! Boy, was it delicious! Able to eat eggs (scrambled or poached, and I use a little lite mayo to moisten it if needed), canned tuna, and even a marinated chicken tenderloin I sliced up for fajitas on Cinco de Mayo! I am learning that because the taste of food is so pleasurable, I find that I miss not being able to eat more to prolong the experience. So, another benefit of eating slowly. Very slowly! :o) Part of the grieving process? I also recommend going to the Squatty Potty website, and consider adopting the technique, even if you do not buy the product. It really helps! And the three info-mercials are hysterical!

Hi!

Turning 59 in June and had the sleeve done on 5/2!

Yesterday and the day before were rough, but it gets better each day. Today was very manageable.

HW: 225
SW: 214 (5/2/2018)
CW: 208
GW: 145

Hope all is going well!