Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

17 hours ago, Em_Jay75 said:

Congratulations!! I have no idea when my surgery will be. I am having my Endo and Psych Eval Mid-May, So it may fall in July as long as Everything goes well.

Welcome Em Jay!!

17 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

Ylime

I have told my bf, kids and 3 close friends. I can't even tell my mom, she's a gossip...lol

lol My mom is a gossip too. She'll probably blab to her sisters about it, but they all live in another state and I rarely talk to them so I don't care much!

17 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

Can anyone tell me what the (+) number under our name means? Sorry in advance if that's a dumb question!

17 hours ago, Sammy128 said:

Thank you. I’ve told my mom and 4 sisters, 3 of my sisters are ok with it and my mom, one of my sisters isn’t and I don’t plan to say anything else to her about it until after I’ve had the surgery, I don’t need the negativity.

Im sorry but I don’t know what the number is for either.

When someone clicks the heart in the lower right hand corner of your post you earn a reputation point. The more clicks you get, the higher the number. Not sure the actual purpose though as it doesn't get you anything that I can tell. I'll click on both of your replies so you get a number. :)

Samantha - I hear you on the negativity. I used to be one of those negative people so I know what people will say. Plus it's just none of anyone's business!

12 hours ago, insta_adventurer said:

I have told husband, mother, one brother, sister-in-law, two aunts, like six friends, my personal trainer and my boss.

The only one not super supportive was my sister in law who said she didn’t agree with it, but lord knows there is plenty I could pipe up and say I don’t agree with but I’m a little too grown for all of that... She doesn’t have to get it or support it, it’s not her body or her life.

Well said...in laws can be tricky. Really the only support you need is from the ones you love the most. Because support doesn't mean agreement, it just means they respect your right to make your own decisions.

2 hours ago, Diva302 said:

I’m getting close... finished all requirements, nutrition classes and MD appts, have my surgical clearance appt May 3.. so June perhaps for surgery ...I’m having the duodenal switch..

Welcome Diva! I haven't met anyone yet that has had the switch. I'll be interested to follow your progress.

2 hours ago, Natalie B said:

My husband knows (and he's having the surgery a month after I am) and my mom and my sister. That's it for now. I'm in a similar position as you that I'm new to my job. I've been here for 6 months and even though I have very nice coworkers, I'm just not comfortable telling them.

My best friend is getting married about two weeks after my tentative surgery date. It's a small wedding so I'm not in it but obviously will be there and I feel like I should tell her so she doesn't wonder why I'm not eating and having a few drinks to Celebrate haha. Plus, like your friend, I know she will be supportive

That's awesome that your husband is also having the surgery so you guys can go through this together. My husband wants to have it but we won't be able to afford it...plus he is no where near mentally ready for the lifestyle change. He had to do some more work on that.

Good luck with telling your friend!

1 hour ago, Em_Jay75 said:

My husband, adult children, and my Mom. I don't think everyone will be supportive and I really don't want to hear about how I am taking the "easy" way out. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah, that's what I'm sure I would hear from those not closest to me.

Ladies - I just realized I lied to you. It occured to me that I did also announce on my instagram account that was going to have the surgery. I did first boot all my real life friends off the page, but there are now 1,100 followers aware of my decision. :lol:

Hello everyone, I started my journey back in December with my first PCP appointment. I have completed all of my Nut as well as my psy appointments, I have my surgery scheduled for May 22. I am very excited and nervous.

Edited by Mrs. Rob

Good luck Mrs. Rob, I hope u share the experiences. I still have a few months to go!

1 hour ago, Mrs. Rob said:

Hello everyone, I started my journey back in December with my first PCP appointment. I have completed all of my Nut as well as my psy appointments, I have my surgery scheduled for May 22. I am very excited and nervous.

Yay! It's coming up soon for you!! Please let us know how it goes.

I’ve got an August surgery date. I started with my initial appointment with the surgeon in March. I’ve done my appt with the nutritionist already. I had an endoscopy in December so I’m not going to have to go through that again. My primary has also sent his letter of support

I’m expecting a packet with the information regarding other required appointments. Hubby’s surgery is next month so I’ll get an idea of what I’m in for beforehand.

I find it so interesting how different the preop process is for each person. I keep seeing people talking about having seen the surgeon and stuff early on. The process for me is the opposite. I don't even get a 1 on 1 appt with the surgeon until the very end when everything else is completed.

43 minutes ago, Chrisb428 said:

I find it so interesting how different the preop process is for each person. I keep seeing people talking about having seen the surgeon and stuff early on. The process for me is the opposite. I don't even get a 1 on 1 appt with the surgeon until the very end when everything else is completed.

I had an online orientation. Met the surgeon shortly after. They told me I wouldn’t see him again til day of surgery.

My process began with a group seminar. Then six mos of pcp directed weight loss visits (I am half way through them) last wk I did my psych evaluation and my nutrition consult. My last pcp visit is July 13 and then I will finally see the surgeon on July 24. They tell me from there it's 4-6 wks till surgery.

I had a Group Orientation, but I was the only one that showed up, then I met with the Surgeons's Assistant & went over any questions, and then met with the Nutritionist, and then the Surgeon. Right after that I had my EKG, Xray, & Labs. I'm scheduled for my Endoscopy and Pysch Eval both Mid May.

My group was HUGE! I won't have the endiscopy, labs, ekg, etc until the very end. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure my doctors like to perform the endoscopy part way in to the liver shrink. That's what I have been told by others who have had it done in tHe past.

It is crazy how different every program is. I didn’t go to any info sessions because all the surgeons I researched had their sessions posted online.
I saw a surgeon two days after I called and then called the hospital program for my classes. They scheduled all my classes and evals in that one call. All very efficient!

~Emily

Hi all& hope everything is going awesome on your journey:)... I am June 5. Just went to surgeons office today -next month is my last visit12 days before the big day . Before then I have to get ekg , chest X-ray blood work & approval from my PC to clear me for surgery. I am on the last leg of this trip. I was told today I am required to do a 10 day pre-op clear liquids- I think it’s going to be tough!!!!!might be asking some veterans on the sight for some encouraging input on getting through! I talked to the PA today and asked a ton more questions...she put my mind at ease regardless I am extremely nervous. This whole experience is better because of this great group of people ... so much good info & encouragement right when you need it! Thanks all!!! I will try to keep you in the loop it helps me when I hear others and how they are getting through!

Do you have room for me as a buddy? File me in the Sadder But Wiser drawer in the file cabinet. My little buddies I have finished my course perparations not once but twice. And how can this be? I've lived it and it still bewilders me. A short summation- late summer 2015 I first sought,bariatric surgery. My then insurance United Healthcare required 6 months of dietary consult and a record keep of all foods consumed. Downloaded. My Fitness Pal and we were off to the races. Finished all requirements except the nutritional/diatetic consult. 5 months into the 6month requirement, my job terminates and Goodbye United Healthcare. Attempted to Cobra it over, would have taken $700 of the $900 I got monthly,from Social Security, So with a heaviness in my heart, that was that. What I didn't know and was never told Medicare, my secondary insurance would pick,up the bill and their requirements were much less, the office this year claimed they were only waiting for,my to provide my numbers and surgery could have be scheduled, would have had it Feb/March 2016. Went on with my life, staying plump as a Thanksgiving Turkey, early,late Autumn,i. asked my PCP for some medical,assistance to lose weight, he prescibed me Phenteramine, a weight reduction drug. Took it faithfully all of last October 2017. Cut out carbs, reduced my,portion sizes, cut out sodas, yes all the right things. Went back,of the end of the month for a checkup, instead of a c weight loss I had packed on 30 more pounds onto my body. After a heart-felt WTF he suggested I return to the Baiatric Surgeonbin Columbus I had gone to before. And I started over again. My requirements were finished the third week of January 2018. Made sure everthing was in order and submitted to surgeon's office. They told me I would hear back 5-8 business days from them. So I sat and waited, first week,of February they were in the pile to be worked, second week of February, yes they were submitted and they were waiting to hear back, third week you just be patient, everything is being re reviewed and we'll get back to you. On February 20th my surgeon along with 2 partners had themselves a little meeting, they decided not to do my surgery, I was given the excuse that my psychological evaluation was,murky. This from a woman who had shone my hand, in the presence of,my adult son, told me to my face that I had passed everything perfectly and wished well with my upcoming surgery. In. employment circles this is called being S***Canned, I call it being kicked to the curb . Same basic thing! So I bawled my eyes out a few days, got up, dusted myself off, gave myself a pep talk in the mirror and set off to find another program. There are 2 other hospitals in Columbus with Bariatric programs, booked,time at their seminars in Early,March. I made application at OSU-Wexner Medical Center on March 9th. That program called me back within a week to have a 2 hour appointment with Staff Psychologist Dr Kramer on April 25th. Surely I will be given credit for Time Served, they do that for criminals and I'm surely a nicer person than them. If there are no extra things needing done I could have surgery in May, otherwise June/July. So,i qualify for your happy band of surgery-seekers. I am 5ft8in, 323 lbs and 72 years old. Don't worry, I'm in it to win it just like the rest of you, and you'll find I am old only in age not attitude. I can be just rotten and ornery,as the rest of You!!❤ Have a good evening and a wonderful day.😛

so who here has weigh ins coming up i have one in tuesday. i am so not looking forward to it. lol. its mostly because i think i have gained again and i know from this point i know i have to really give up the heavy carb food which will set me into tired mode again for a while and so yeah anyone else here have tips to get past that initial tired feeling when giving up the major carbs ie bread stuff like that