Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I first read about ESG late last year and was immediately interested in it as I liked the non-surgery/minimally invasiveness of the procedure. I have private health insurance but in Australia ESG isn't covered by medicare therefore private health insurance doesn't give a rebate for the procedure.

I am about 5ft1 and weigh 95kgs. I have been overweight a long time and like many have tried many different things. I did lose weight about 10 years ago, and got down to 65kgs, while that wasn't in the healthy weight range for my height...I did like how it looked on me. That lasted about two years or so, and I put the weight back on along with another 12kgs and it is still slowly rising.

I have been being doing my research and have finally decided it's time to take action. I have had a number of blood tests and will be talking to my preferred surgeon 9th May to find out if I am a good candidate for the ESG. While I am eager to talk to the surgeon and set a date, it is likely that I won't be having the procedure until Sept/Oct.

If I am not a good candidate for ESG I don't know what I will do...my insurance and medicare would cover a band or the standard sleeve and bypass, but I looked into the band some time ago and determined it wasn't for me. Not sure if I up to the surgical options even if covered by insurance and medicare.

I have started some light exercise (mostly walking and weights) and have just commenced planning my meals and working on Portion Control.

This photo was taken the other night, I am the overweight one! The other three standing are my younger sisters and that's my mother sitting...and to think I thought that top fitted me quite well when I looked in the mirror lol, certainly looks different in a photo.

I will take some more before photos in the next day or so, I realised I have very few photos as I typical hide from the camera.

I've enjoyed reading a lot of posts on Bariatric Pal in general and realised its about time I put me out there! I particularly like reading posts from ESGers please keep the updates coming.

Congrats on starting you journey and I hope you are a good candidate for ESG. I would also add having had a VSG, that if opted to go with what you insurance covers it is a pretty minor surgery and a small incision. Either way recovery Fromm the procedure is going to be a minor part of your post surgical adjustment.

Thanks for that, something to consider should ESG not be an option.

Today is my appointment day with the surgeon, my alloted time is 4.15pm but was told the doctor would likely call sometime in the evening. it's going to b a long wait :)

I had my phone consult with Dr Sartoretto yesterday, it was a good consult I thought. He asked a lot of questions based on my personal/history, allowed plenty of time for me to ask my questions. I like his approach to weight/fat loss with the focus more on body fat percentage / body composition than scale weight. Dr Sartoretto has done approx 160 ESG which is quite a good number given its a relatively new procedure in Australia.

While I had already done a range of blood tests, I now have a referral for a breath test and oral glucose test.

I was pleased to see that there wasn't a change in the Australian government budget with regards to early release of super for WLS (unless its still hidden in the fine print somewhere).

Good on you and,may you find it a perfect solution for your life. Keep us updated on your journey
2shea, I'm like you, I think,i look pretty good until a photo shocks me too!😮

I spent three hours at the pathology lab on Saturday morning doing my oral gluose/insulin test, only to get a phone call today saying I needed to redo as they didn't collect enough timed samples....aargh. My surgeon asked for a urea breath test and the lab is now going back and forth with the surgeon to confirm he wants a breath test not a fecal test. The surgeon asked for a breath test, I'm pretty sure he knows what he wants.

But anyways, I continue to make small changes eating better, eating less, walking more. Feeling better for it.

Yeah finally received confirmation for the go ahead for my ESG procedure. It won't be until mid October, timing is mine due to not long being with a new employer and the implementation of a new finance system being rolled out 1 July. This will give me some time to sort out the finances either early release of super, if not approved combination of loan and own funds.

Now I can make plans for airfares and accommodation.

Less than two months now for my ESG. Date is set for Tuesday 16 October, time off work booked and authorised, Sydney accommodation and airfares booked and paid for. Bought tickets to see Book of Mormon while in Sydney. All my appointments are set: dietician and behavioural coach one month before the procedure, doctor day before surgery, surgery :), infusion day following and dexa scan plus my follow up appointment with the doctor one week later. I have a friend coming with me who will be there up to the Thursday, I was going to be travelling solo, however, the doctor insisted that I have someone with me for 48hrs following the procedure in case of complications. It is a day surgery, no overnight stay in hospital is required which I am pleased with.

While Christmas is many months away, in Australia lots of workplaces are busily planning Christmas dinners, even my sister got in early yesterday, sending a save the date for a big cousin/family dinner out the Saturday before Christmas, and because we have family coming home for Christmas we are even planning our Christmas day. There is also a small group of school friends that meet up with once or twice a year, we will be having a get together in late November/early December.

There are lots of what could be awkward food situations coming up, fortunately I have plenty of time to plan how I will manage meals out and responses to any comments about what I am consuming (or not consuming for that matter). I wont't be telling very many people at all about my procedure (one so far, the friend above), but I am assuming that people probably won't be too interested with the food on my plate, but will be focussed on their own meals/drinks and enjoying the social situation.

I haven't updated my weight but have put on the two kilos lost, I am disappointed in myself, but today I am recomitting to my health! My doctor said he didn't care if I didn't lose weight before the procedure but to make sure I didn't put on weight, but with a two week pre op liquid diet I assume I would have lost some weight before the ESG. I will lose the two kilos gained and I hope to lose another three before my ESG, anymore than that will be a bonus, the more I lose before hand, the less need to lose after! At least five kilos is not unreasonable before 16 October. Now to work on the emotional / boredom eating and the sweet tooth so that goal is achieved.

I will be going back to basics from here-on-in, lots of Water, walking, occasional glass of wine, Portion Control but with increased Protein and reduced carbs, nil added sugar foods (sugar friend here, one skerritt of sugar and its a full on sugar fest).

Hadn't realised I had waffled on so much, fortunately I don't do it too often!

I hope to see more ESGers posting on the ESG sub forum, the support we receive and give is invaluable!

Now its getting real and its getting real close. Procedure date is 16/10/2018. Had my skype appointment with the dietician today. Went over the phases: pre-op VLCD, clear Fluid diet, free fluid diet, pureed foods, soft foods and then finally on the 25 November I will be able to commence a transition to reduced portions normal foods.

Next monday is my appointment with the behavioural psychologist.

Over the course of my program (18 months post op) I have four appointments each with a dietician, behavioural psychologist and exercise physiologist and unlimited face to face access to the doctor who will carry out the ESG.

Sounds pretty comprehensive to me, tons of happy and v well wishes sent your way! Keep,yammering posted on future developments.

7 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Sounds pretty comprehensive to me, tons of happy and v well wishes sent your way! Keep,yammering posted on future developments.

Thank you Frustr8 your support is very much appreciated!

It's a week before I start the official pre-op diet, but today I decided to get a bit of an extra start, figured it wouldn't hurt. I have adapted the pre-op diet for this week so its not so VLCD and I will have two meal shakes instead of three. The other meal will be a meat or fish dish with vegetables with yoghurt and fruit Snacks.

So far I am not inclined towards any food funerals, not to say it won't happen though after all there is a week between now and 1/10/2018. I've created a diet cheatsheet from the instructions provided by the dietician, hopefully it will help me focus.

I am on a Facebook ESG group (three actually), one of the members asked if I was nervous. Surprisingly I am not nervous yet, but I am sure as date gets closer I will be mighty nervous. Being under certainly doesn't worry me (I been under a number of times for colonoscopies, off course not to the degree of a GA), I haven't had endoscopy before so possibly that will be the thing that makes me nervous, even though I will be out to it. There has been mixed post procedure reactions to pain/nausea that I have read on the FB groups - some seem to have lots of pain and cramping as well as nausea, for others it seems quite minimal. What will be will be I guess, I will need to make sure I have the meds for the worse that I may experience.

The most discomfort I imagine is being without fluids for a couple of days, I will have infusions, but it is the extra dry mouth that concerns me. I will be taking mouth spray/lip balm and will swill Water and spit it out if needed. I have dry mouth to start with as a conseqence of sjogren's syndrome, I guess the good thing I will be better prepared than most for that.

I am just about to go sort out my wardrobe and the many clothes I haven't worn in sometime. Anything I am sure I won't wear again even if it may fit me it will be going in the op shop bag, the others will be arranged in order of size and I hopeful that I will get through them as I work towards my goal! Thankfully I have plenty of clothes to get me through each size. I have also been shopping already for some smaller sizes and I can remember the last time I wore a dress or a skirt, so I bought a LBD, I have never had a LBD. Not sure I will ever wear the LBD out and about (luckily it wasn't that expensive) but I would be very happy to fit into it!

image.thumb.png.c8f2655a85841ba17ac39e5bb69186d2.png

image.thumb.png.135c63be5804184f7f8b5180b28d0ce5.png

dress 1.jpg

I am now in pre-op mode with three Meal Replacement shakes a day plus three cups of non starchy veges. The week prior to my pre-op diet I had started a less severe pre-op...two shakes plus a meal plus three cups of non starchy veges.

Yesterday was a bit of fail for the pre-op diet, but I did learn something. I haven't that full/bloated feeling from all the food I would eat since I have been on the pre-op diet, when I overate yesterday I realised I didn't actually like that full/bloated feeling. I think previously it felt like a comfort thing, yesterday it just felt bloated and uncomfortable. I shall draw on that feeling when I am tempted or strugging over the next 10 or so days.

Nearly there now, tomorrow (Sunday) I fly to Sydney, have an appointment with the doctor plus a dexa scan on Mondy afternoon. My hospital admission is Tuesday morning at 6.15am, I am hoping i am first off!

My doctor focuses on body composition as well as the scale weight hence the dexa scan. Reduce body fat and increase lean body mass.

Feeling slightly nervous but being busy today will take the edge off that. Work for a few hours, visit my mother at her nursing home, last minute run to chemist and shop make sure I have the right supplies for when I return home first for the clear liquid diet and then free liquid diet. Oh and packing.