Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping Surgery Secret

This is one of those times where I'm happy to have both a very small family and live in a big area full of strangers. I'm not in regular contact with anyone on my side of the family and there's no need to tell anyone on my wife's side, so it's only my wife and two college age kids plus two close friends who'll know. My wife may tell some of her friends and co-workers but their opinions and input mean absolutely nothing to me. If she puts it on Facebook though, there will be consequences.

The actual fun I'm going to have is trying to keep it from my co-workers, not because I don't want them to know but just to see how long it'll take until they figure it out on their own. They're a smart bunch and since I won't be having the surgery until late May or early June, I've just been telling them that I'm on a medically supervised diet due to stomach issues, which is technically accurate. When I have the surgery I'll just say that I'm having a surgical procedure to fix some stomach issue but I'd rather not go into specifics so as not to disgust anyone.

I haven't had mine yet, but I only plan on telling a select few. My husband and kids know as well as my parents. I'll tell my brother as I get closer to the date. I have one friend that I know has considered the surgery so I'll probably tell her. Otherwise it's no one's business. I'm a very private person as well and share things on a need to know basis.

I am debating on whether or not to tell my co workers. I feel like they will figure it out anyways as they will notice the liquid diet as well as the smaller portions as we typically eat lunch together every day. I don't plan on telling any of my friends before the surgery and after the surgery I will gauge how I feel about it. I am typically an open person so I have a inkling that I will tell them.

Tell them you've been having a little trouble with your tummy and you're on a special diet for a while. My gastroenterologist has had me cut out things, let them think you might have an ulcer(I do) for some reason,ulcers cause less questions than weight loss surgery. That's how society works. 😁

I would love to keep it a secret if I can. My husband knows that I plan to get it. I really hate to keep it from my family but I feel like I will be criticized by some and my mother would be worried sick if she knew. BUT, I'm probably going to end up needing her help watching my toddler overnight for the hospital stay so I'm going to have to tell her. There is a week in the summer that I have to be off work due to my babysitter going on vacation so I already have that time scheduled off and was hoping to be able to use that week to have surgery.

I am hoping people aren't too suspicious of the weight loss because I've already lost over 40 pounds in the last 6 months. I've already had the "how are you doing it" questions so maybe they'll just see it as a continuation of the weight loss.