Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I am 13 months post op and 8 weeks pregnant. I am really struggling dealing with the food cravings and being hungry all the time! I am still king mostly healthy choices but if I don’t eat like every two hours I feel sick. I have gained a few pounds already and was hoping for some diet help. I can’t eat cold meats or deli meats which made up most of my diet before. Does anyone have a diet plan they follow during pregnancy? I understand I will gain weight but I want it to be a healthy weight gain. Thanks!

Congrats on your baby!

If it was me, I'd ask to go back to my RD and find out how she and the surgeon want you to eat!

33 minutes ago, mxpxchik11 said:

Hi all! I am 13 months post op and 8 weeks pregnant. I am really struggling dealing with the food cravings and being hungry all the time! I am still king mostly healthy choices but if I don’t eat like every two hours I feel sick. I have gained a few pounds already and was hoping for some diet help. I can’t eat cold meats or deli meats which made up most of my diet before. Does anyone have a diet plan they follow during pregnancy? I understand I will gain weight but I want it to be a healthy weight gain. Thanks!

So exciting! Congrats! I can't wait until I'm at your stage and can start trying.

Congratulations, that is awesome! I'm with Fluffy, best leave this to the pros! You sure don't want to miss out on any essential Vitamins.

44 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

So exciting! Congrats! I can't wait until I'm at your stage and can start trying.

Don't feel rushed, to everything there is a season. This is the season to focus on you and your success. You'll get little enough time to focus on you after a baby comes! One major life transition at a time :-)

2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Don't feel rushed, to everything there is a season. This is the season to focus on you and your success. You'll get little enough time to focus on you after a baby comes! One major life transition at a time :-)

I don't feel rushed at all! I've been looking forward to the day that I can start trying for the last 5 years. I can't wait. I'll loose what I can in 12 months, and then continue loosing during pregnancy under my OB's advisement. It is safe to loose during pregnancy. I've got it all planned out with my surgeon and my OB.

8 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I don't feel rushed at all! I've been looking forward to the day that I can start trying for the last 5 years. I can't wait. I'll loose what I can in 12 months, and then continue loosing during pregnancy under my OB's advisement. It is safe to loose during pregnancy. I've got it all planned out with my surgeon and my OB.

I guess you can do 2 major transitions at once! About a million years ago, I was on Weight Watchers for all 3 of my pregnancies. They did not want you losing, just eating healthy. Times have changed!

On the upside, I just realized that I now weigh less than I did when my twins were born!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I guess you can do 2 major transitions at once! About a million years ago, I was on Weight Watchers for all 3 of my pregnancies. They did not want you losing, just eating healthy. Times have changed!

It is 100% safe to loose weight while pregnant. In fact, a lot of overweight women naturally loose weight during the first 2 trimesters. Weight loss will taper off as the baby starts growing larger. But if you have an experienced OB, it shouldn't be an issue to track the babies progress. Not that it needs to be said, this is only the case in overweight pregnant mothers. They wouldn't want women at a healthy BMI to be losing.

I have spoken with my surgeon and my nutrionist and to be honest they haven’t been that helpful. Really they said to switch the focus of Bariatric dieting to healthy pregnancy. I am really hoping to find a meal plan other pregnant woman have used that wasn’t successful. I’m hood at sticking to plans but when left to my own I can make fluctuate.

5 minutes ago, mxpxchik11 said:

I have spoken with my surgeon and my nutrionist and to be honest they haven’t been that helpful. Really they said to switch the focus of Bariatric dieting to healthy pregnancy. I am really hoping to find a meal plan other pregnant woman have used that wasn’t successful. I’m hood at sticking to plans but when left to my own I can make fluctuate.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. Has your OB had many post op WLS patients? Not to question the credentials of your doctor, but it may be the reason why he or she hasn't offered better advice. It's extremely important that your Vitamin levels are checked regularly during pregnancy.

2 hours ago, mxpxchik11 said:

. . . if I don’t eat like every two hours I feel sick. I have gained a few pounds already and was hoping for some diet help.

You can try peppermint herbal tea for the nausea, even some sf peppermints.

Any of the herbal or even green tea[emoji478]. Eat saltines, yes they make low or no sodium ones, you're a special case so permission is given, you're incubating a brand new person![emoji64][emoji112][emoji113]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, mxpxchik11 said:

Hi! I'm a little over 5 weeks. What I was told was to keep Protein to 70-90gm, increase complex carbohydrates, and try to get in 1000 calories a day minimum in the 1st trimester (it goes up each trimester). I never jumped on the deli meat band wagon, and honestly most meat makes me sick now. :( So, what I've been doing is yogurt every morning (I switched to full fat greek), 1 cup a day of Beans (Navy, Great Nothern, or Black Beans), a package of the the Green Giant microwave steamers veggies, a piece of fruit (cuties, berries), cheese snack, and then dinner at the moment is up in the air depending on how I feel (my nausea is worst at night) but I try to eat fish like tilapia or salmon and then if possible some sweet potato and maybe salad. I split a lot of those up into smaller portions and am eating about every 2hrs just to keep the nausea at bay. Other good foods to add would be hard boiled eggs, spinach, avocado (I had a friend who would literally have half an avocado for lunch every day), banana and high Fiber foods. If you are ok with straight dairy add a glass of milk. If grains are your thing feel free to add them but you don't need them with the beans as long as you are still eating animal products.

Oh, and chocolate. I have one piece of good dark chocolate every day.

And, as a side note, I have some days where nothing sounds good at all and I just have a Protein Shake (the Orgain organic pre-made ones).

Oh, one last thing, I don't know which app you are using to track you food, but I really like cronometer as you can track possible micronutrient deficiencies, and you can change the setting for how much of each nutrient you are shooting for (makes it very bariatric and pregnancy friendly). I've found that most Vitamins don't cover your full need for Choline, Potassium, and Iodine so you may need to add more foods that supply those nutrients.

Hope that helps!

I remember one lady was to take both a Baristric,and Prenatal,vitamin so she and the baby,both kept up necessary minerals and Vitamin levels[emoji12][emoji64][emoji13]Both of you girls take care of yourself in addition to your future babies.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app