Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Riddance!

Since January, I have been on a plane a total of 8 times. Every experience has been different. On some planes, I can fit the seat belt no issue and other times I struggle. On Friday, I was traveling and I could NOT get my seat belt to buckle! I almost wanted to cry and I am sure the guy beside me felt bad. All I could think was this is my last plane ride pre-surgery. After a few minutes, it buckled and my arm was sore later like I had worked out! Some of these planes were not built for hippy people and add a stomach on top of that and it's just darn right uncomfortable! Anyway, I am looking forward to not having this issue in the future. Does anyone else have things that they are looking forward to not dealing with after surgery?

Not needing a seat belt extender is HIGH on my list! I also told my hubby that when I lose 100 pounds, I want to go skydiving. I'm not sure if he'll go with me or just push me out of the plane!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

I remember the air plane seat belt extenders. I went on my first trip after surgery ay 100# lost, I almost let out a whoop when I fastened my belt :D. It will happen for you too. Good luck!

I recently discovered that planes are all issued with uniform-length seatbelts, but as the ends fray and get damaged the airlines just trim them down and then reattach the buckles. So you're not crazy - the seatbelts really ARE all different sizes.

I've never had to use an extender (though in the last few years it's been pretty damn close), but what I am looking forward to is no longer feeling weirdly guilty towards a seatmate for taking up space. I've never overlapped my seat, but a number of guys flying next to me have seemingly decided that if I'm going to be fat then they're just going to take the armrest AND manspread halfway into my knee space. Next time a guy tries those shenanigans, he is getting a guilt-free elbow right in the ribs.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:26 PM, sideeye said:

I recently discovered that planes are all issued with uniform-length seatbelts, but as the ends fray and get damaged the airlines just trim them down and then reattach the buckles. So you're not crazy - the seatbelts really ARE all different sizes.

I've never had to use an extender (though in the last few years it's been pretty damn close), but what I am looking forward to is no longer feeling weirdly guilty towards a seatmate for taking up space. I've never overlapped my seat, but a number of guys flying next to me have seemingly decided that if I'm going to be fat then they're just going to take the armrest AND manspread halfway into my knee space. Next time a guy tries those shenanigans, he is getting a guilt-free elbow right in the ribs.

Everything here!

I fly nearly weekly for work, and yes, every seat belt is a different size! I've never needed an extender, but sometimes I've had to suck in really hard to get the belt fastened!

I also agree with feeling guilty about taking up too much space. I think the manspead and armrest hogging is just selfishness and/or obliviousness. I don't foresee that changing when I fit into a seat better!

And society has,made me feel I'm worthless because of obesity, they believe I take up too much space in the world. And my self-esteem plummets and almost disappears. But I am working to change their minds, and as regards smaller -I may point out their minds are so small as to have atrophied. if they cannot accept a warm caring loving and intelligent person like myself I will say the root problem is not mine but theirs. Too many people seem to have fat-bashing as their,only hobby. isn't it a shame I have to go through the pain of Weight Loss Surgery to prove myself to such a bunch of uncaring people in society? But the joke will be on them for now I will live longer and stronger than ever I was given credit for. And like the Phoenix Bird of stories I will rise in triumph from the ashes of my former life and fly straight and true, and this my Bari-friends is a promise I shall fulfill!😝

5 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I also agree with feeling guilty about taking up too much space. I think the manspead and armrest hogging is just selfishness and/or obliviousness. I don't foresee that changing when I fit into a seat better!

Oh, their behavior definitely won’t change. The difference will totally be within me - whereas before I wouldn’t complain out of some sort of guilt over my size/existence on a plane and not wanting to risk a smackdown response, now? Get your knee out from under my tray table or I’m going to KICK OFF.

You know those times you would rightfully stand up for yourself and a guy would look completely affronted, as though how could a fat person possibly complain about ANYTHING when he has kindly not pointed out how offensively enormous you are? I’d experienced that enough to pick my battles. But now it’s all battle, all the time, you self-entitled blowhards!

1 hour ago, sideeye said:

Oh, their behavior definitely won’t change. The difference will totally be within me - whereas before I wouldn’t complain out of some sort of guilt over my size/existence on a plane and not wanting to risk a smackdown response, now? Get your knee out from under my tray table or I’m going to KICK OFF.

You know those times you would rightfully stand up for yourself and a guy would look completely affronted, as though how could a fat person possibly complain about ANYTHING when he has kindly not pointed out how offensively enormous you are? I’d experienced that enough to pick my battles. But now it’s all battle, all the time, you self-entitled blowhards!

OMG, yes, exactly!

You know in. my youth I was not militant but I am now. I believe it is because I've waded too long through society's muck and more without a proper pair of boots on 😭

I travel a lot for work. One of the most mortifying moments of my life was getting on a tiny plane (~16 seats) and the seatbelt not fitting. I covered my lap with a blanket and pretended to be asleep. The stewardess actually "woke" me up to check the seatbelt and I shamefully had to get an extender.

I can't pinpoint the exact moment I decided on surgery, but this was definitely one of the major factors that helped push me over the line.

Since surgery, I've been on around 2 dozen flights. I stole that extender so I would never need to ask for one again, but it has been collecting dust. Last month, I proudly took a picture on that same 16 seater plane with about 8 inches of extra room on the belt!

5 hours ago, jessgnc said:

I travel a lot for work. One of the most mortifying moments of my life was getting on a tiny plane (~16 seats) and the seatbelt not fitting. I covered my lap with a blanket and pretended to be asleep. The stewardess actually "woke" me up to check the seatbelt and I shamefully had to get an extender.

I can't pinpoint the exact moment I decided on surgery, but this was definitely one of the major factors that helped push me over the line.

Since surgery, I've been on around 2 dozen flights. I stole that extender so I would never need to ask for one again, but it has been collecting dust. Last month, I proudly took a picture on that same 16 seater plane with about 8 inches of extra room on the belt!

Thanks for sharing your story, Jess! You are awesome and congrats on your progress.