Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Overeating & Binging Problems Post Op

I'm not Veteran enough to address this because I don't have words. . However, I will say that I hope you do change your habits and soon. This surgery is a GIFT and I hope you don't squander it.

[mention=299399]sleeveduk[/mention], how are you doing today? I am only semi-reformed but let me add my paltry pennies to the mix. You say you stay up all night, been there, done that, you might say I got forceably retired from a job I loved, miss doing it, miss the people I came in contact each day with, what I don't miss was the inner-company bickering and my supervisors. Do you have cable or any exercise DVDs? Do some exercise at home, nobody to criticise or make you feel self conscious like in a gym. Now gyms are still a good place but not yet for you. Get out and walk in the fresh air, yeah winter can come and go in April still, but get outside anyway. I'm saying this for you and me both, and if you're unemployed, no think of it as underemployed, you don't feel real good about youself underneath. Maybe not full depression but more a sense of meh. You need to buck up , buckaroo. Nice to be offered a chocolate ice cream cone, feels sorry and he wants to make you feel better, but you really don't need food to do it. I'm currently 323 down from a all-time high of 355 and with a 72 year old metabolism the pounds aren't melting away for me. They don't make my model anymore so I can't get replacement parts today to make me run better! But slowly and steadily I Will do it and maybe the victory will be so much sweeter for the effort I have put forth. As another suggestion, don't eat right when you first get up, do something else for a while. Yeah I keep harping on walking but it is the easiest thing you can do.Stop eating white bread, you really need whole grains if you're going to eat bread at all. I don't anymore because I realized it sets like a hockey puck,in my stomach, have an Apple orange or banana instead. We seem to snack on bananas at my house.

Although I don't keep a perfect pantry there aren't any chips pretzels crackers and Cookies there. No I do have 1 box of Cheeseits sitting there but they are getting dusty. Like the old song" Don't get around much anymore" I should get up and go walk myself, my tulips are trying to get ready to bloom, my neighbor across the street whose outdoor housekeeping skills are worse than mine actually threw a piece of trash away yesterday or moved it to the backyard where I can't see it.So sweeties life is still worth living, if you have to make your own kind of music, just do it. And your song will be sweeter because only you know the right tune![emoji14][emoji626][emoji13] And use the surgery tool for your benefit, I don't believe it's too late to make a comeback. Consult with a nutritionist/dietician and get back on a better more proportioned diet, you'll feel better.[emoji106]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

The misconceptions of seeing a therapist, first just because you see one you necessarily do not have a problem. The best way to break bad eating habits is to address those through your doctor, therapy, and a dietitian, the ball is in your court to cast your demons and it depends on you to make changes necessary to support your recent surgery. Best of luck to you!!

Sleeveduk96, it's hard to change but you have to be kind to yourself. Turn your back on previous poor eating days and start fresh. I have often eaten out of boredom and stress, so this has been difficult for me (just the eating plan prior to surgery), so hoping to feel "full" after surgery. I feel you on the Nando's though...I hit that every time I'm in the UK.:)

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I used to be a proper night owl myself before I got a full time job and this created so many (more) problems with my diet as I'd not only eat a full meal at dinner but I'd have something large again around midnight when hunger kicked in and Snacks up till I slept at like 5am. Then the first thing I'd do when I'd wake up? Make a massive Breakfast.

Speaking to your dietitian is important. They won't try to make you feel ashamed (that is what self-loathing and depression is for - been there) but they will give you tips and help on how to overcome this situation you've found yourself in again.

My own personal advice is to aim for a normal sleeping structure again, I can't stress how important this is for your body and wellbeing. Although I still suffer from depression (and the most crippling self hatred) I know getting a good nights sleep and being awake for the early morning has had a positive effect on my life. I don't know your personal situation but if you're not looking for a job then please find a daytime hobby. Something that will help give you a structure, even if its just to walk a dog. Find something you can get up for.

These things happen though. Before work today I visited a supermarket and stocked up on low fat grazing snacks and one bag of sweet popcorn cause I felt the cravings for it. I ate the whole bag of popcorn throughout my working day and half a bag of chilli flavoured rice crackers. This was between my breakfast and lunch still and my daily orange. To combat this pigging out I will 100% not buy the popcorn again and I will most likely bring the crackers home where I am actually less likely to snack and just bring portions of the crackers into work each day.

I need to keep it out of sight to keep it out of mind and by sight I mean not in the same building as me, cause I will seek it! If you're the one who does your own food shopping (if not speak to your dad about your needs) then don't get the beef Jerky, get smaller wholemeal loaves of bread, low fat cheese, no ice cream, no carbs with your takeaway. Do whatever steps you can to not stock the home up with bad templations, cause I've learnt while the hunger goes after surgery the cravings don't. So we got to protect ourselves.

Good luck.

I'm not going to get down on you about the food but for me when my sleep is out of wack and I'm depressed I definitely crave more foods that I shouldn't have. But I would really suggest getting your sleep back on track

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

The surgery won't change your thinking... It won't change your cravings. You'll still want the same unhealthy foods.. But you have to change your ways of eating. Get a job or a hobby so you're not sitting at home bored. The only one that can help you is you.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:03 PM, sleeveduk96 said:

I am writing this with such a heavy heart and I just ask people to please be kind in the replies. I really want to turn this around and I hope like hell it is not too late.

I have been struggling so much with binging. I am just eating whatever I want, not following any kind of healthy eating and I think I must be consuming pretty much the same calories as I consumed before surgery. I am only seven weeks post op. Here is an example of what I would eat in a day.

I am unemployed and I stay up all night and only wake up at about 1pm.

1pm: White bread sandwich with cheese and butter. (I drink Water at the same time)

3pm: Leftover lasagne - 4/5 tablespoons

4pm: Half a bag of beef Jerky

5pm: Glass of orange juice

7pm: Nandos takeaway, only a couple bites of chicken, half a box of spicy rice, 6/7 chips with mayo, 3/4 olives

8pm: More spicy rice

10pm: cheese toastie

11pm: Rest of the spicy rice and a few chips and a chug of milk straight from the bottle

1am: Rest of the bag of beef Jerky

2am: chocolate ice cream in a cone

I am honestly so disgusted with myself but I had to put this out here. My dad doesn't help because he will go make me a cheese toastie if I ask for it or go buy me chocolate when I want it. I have no idea how to stop eating so much. I am so depressed and I have nothing to do with my life but no one seems to understand. This was probably the wrong time in my life to get surgery since I don't have the discipline to use it correctly but I really thought it would help me turn my life around and save me. I have still been having weight loss of 3-5 lbs a week but last week it was only 1/2 lb and this week I am sure it will be a gain.

Is there any self-help book or some kind of advice to help me turn this around before it's too late? My parents paid so much for this surgery and I am ruining it, it feels like there's nothing I can do.

Please, anyone, can you help me.

Please email me at storgean@gmail.com I will then give you my phone number. We can talk about this tomorrow and trust me that you will feel better. Sounds like you want to stop the poor eating habits and you will. It's not too late but you must reach out. Looking forward to hearing from you. 🙏🏻

Sleeve how is going? Curious to your thoughts today, since most of us have responded avoiding the lecture.

It is never too late! Unfortunately those cravings like others have said, is a real thing. They dont go away. The hunger does. Since I have had the surgery 10/17/17, there has only been a handful of times that I have actually been hungry. Boredom and my sleep schedule are the main reasons I gained my weight to begin with. You have to remember that by midnight your body is wanting more fuel. There were days I didnt sleep at all, or sometimes for up to 5 days at a time. Your body needs a way to keep going. Now that I have a decent sleep schedule, my body requires way less for fuel. I do go to a counselor, and that is a good start of why. I agree with contacting your nutritionist. Also a support group might be a good idea. (I have social anxiety. But I have 1 friend 4 years out from the sleeve and another 5 years out from bypass, so a lot of support and help!)
I hope it gets easier. We all have those days. You just have to get back up, dust yourself off and try it again! Never give up!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 207 (3/18/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

Your being honest with yourself and you need help that is impressive thing to do CBT cognitive behavioural Therapy is a fantastic tool that will help with depression Nhs first steps be brutally honest with them

Are you taking all the supplements needed as being deficiencies can cause cravings

looking at positive things others that have done well may give you a light at the end of the tunnel

writing down all my food and portion size and calories really keep me honest and in control of my self with food

destraction it a great tool for taking your mind off food reading writing colouring listening to music watching TV

you could try going back to the liqid part of the diet and follow it again into eating solid meals as a reset my dietician says it can be helpful

there are loads of diet plans online for gastric sleeve try a different one

The biggest mistake is drinking with meals it does wash food down quicker and in time will expand the stomach if you can’t do it all do not punish yourself

baby steps will still get a positive result

And I am 3 years post op and I have lost about 7 stone and I have fallen off the wagon I am only 2stone off goal and I have definitely discovered that my stomach can easily hold just as much as before my op it’s emotional eating and it’s a demon I think will always be with me but I am going to make myself fight I mean not always good at sticking to it we are human beings not perfect be kind to yourself

I have fallen off the wagon now and I’m trying to get back up. Sweets is my problem. Starting weight 266 and now I’m 223 after a year and 6 months out. Can a restart get me back on track?

Fill up on good foods and don’t even consider buying sweets. If you buy them you will eat them. It’s really as simple as that.