Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch dilation, now band unfilled

I had my band for about 8 years. Had great success. Was stable at 118 to 121 lbs. Two years ago I had to have a surgery. It looked like a slip or even band erosion but turned out to be a hernia in the esophagus. Catastrophe overted. Since then I had a few fills but my weight went to 126. But this week I went in for a esophagram and dr saw a food pouch forming. He said it was minor and caught before any slip. But all the Fluid was removed. Now I have been on liquids for 3 days and plan to stay on them hopefully two weeks even tho I was told to be on liquids for a few days. Dr said it should go back into place on its own. Has anyone ever had this happen i am a total wreak now. I hope it goes away and no surgery needs to be done. Think I wasn't chewing my food enough and eating too fast.

Did the Dr. see the pouch forming in the esophagus ? I found out yesterday that my port flipped. After SEVERAL attempts he found the port and was able to get the liquid out, but for some reason the needle had a leak and he could not refill it. He did a X-ray with a barium and noticed my esophagus was stretched. Now I have to wait a month for my esophagus to shrink and have a port revision. Like you, I am a wreck but the Dr. did say it should go back to normal. Hopefully this will be the same for you.

He said it definitely wasn't in my esophogus. I asked because about 2 yrs ago, they saw something with the barium drink that they first thought was a pouch dialation then they thought it was a slipped band , then after being without liquid in my band for 2 months they thought it was a band erosion. When surgery date came, we were thrilled it was only a esophageal hernia. Nothing wrong with the band. So when I had this new esophogram I asked about the esophagus. It was to low he said. I stood on liquids for over a week and am now doing mushy foods. I wanted to stay on liquids til I went back to my dr but it was hard. And the nurse and my dr said the week was more than enough time on just liquids.

It is scary and I'm hoping it goes back completely by the time I go back. The nurse in the office said that in two weeks with a completely empty band and being on liquids for a few days your throat and pouch have enough time to go back into place all on their own. I hope so

I am sending positive thoughts your way, thank you for sharing your story. Keep us all updated, okay?😛

Thank you for the positive thoughts. I will definitely keep you posted. I see my dr this Friday and should know if it went back into place, if it's slowly going back into place or if there was no change.... Keeping my fingers crossed that no surgery is needed to fix the problem. But if I do I will definitely do it as soon as possible.👏😬

Hi Michelle....this has just happened to me too after 7 years banded and definitely a pouch dilation. I'm just waiting for an appointment for a complete unfill... Never had any real issues until now and so scary to know I'm not going to have any restriction but more importantly hope the 3 month break that dr has suggested for the unfill that I don't pile on the pounds... Fluctuated in last two years from 65 to 78 kilos but not too displeased with that just don't want to go beyond...fingers crossed the pouch goes back to normal after this unfill otherwise it's surgery I suppose... Please let me know how you got on today and keep us posted... Good luck and fingers crossed your journey from today works out ok and surgery free too x

How dipsyd65.... I went to the doctor today. My band was completely unfilled for two weeks. Afte the unfill I stood on liquids for nine days and then mushy foods the remaining 5 days. I went to the doctors today and had another esophogram done and the doctor said it had completely gone back into place and so surgery was needed. He told me to leave the band unfilled for 2 more weeks but that's ok . It was the best news I could have gotten. I just have to watch what I eat and continue paying attention to how I chew my food. Normally being with an unfilled band would have gotten me all bent out of shape, but I'm happy with the outcome. The doctor just wants to make sure everything has had time to "relax and heal properly ".

It's funny even with liquid da 9 days and mushy foods I gained 2 pounds. Not as bad but it was an increase. The next two weeks I'm going to stick to Soups or even salads for my solid foods. I'm sure you won't have to keep the band opened for the 3 months my pouch dialation fixed up and in two weeks. Just st remember do liquids and then mushy food. The longer you can hold out liquids the better. It's hard but it worked. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Hi Michelle...oh wow such good news! [emoji4] well done to you..I’m sure it takes a lot of determination and will power though....I am so going to do liquids and mushy food from now on then just to train my eating habits prior to my band being emptied...it’s going to be hard I know but feel your situation is so similar to mine I’m hoping for the same outcome...at least summer is coming and shakes and salads are not so bad....here goes will keep you posted ! Good luck with your journey too x

Thanks dipsyd65... I drank ensure light vanilla shakes. They are only 70 calories each as regular ensures can be 220-320 calories each. The ensures light come in vanilla or chocolate. If you have walmarts near you Protein premier drinks are about 100 calories and come in vanilla,chocolate,strawberries and cream, banana cream and a sunflower drink. They are yummy. Mushy food awesome meal would be refried Beans with puréed salsa and some shredded cheese. You can also put a spoon of fat free sour cream and it amazing. Also a pretty good Soup was progreso tomatoe basil soup. It very good half the can gives you an entire bowl of soup.keep me posted on your journey and if you need someon to talk to.

michelle

I'm sure you'll do great. I'm trying my best too. I'm here for any support or questions you may have. Or just if you need a friendly ear🙂

I'm scheduled to go to my dr on the 7th of May to start filling my band again..slowly. Maybe 2cc. I did liquids for 9 days and it wasn't too bad not too much hunger will band empty. But what a difference mushy food did I'm so hungry often. I have a little over a week to go and I may go back to liquids until my band gets filled and then of course the two days after the fill.

im afraid of putting on any weight