Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op feeling terrible

Hi all,

im one week post op today and I am not feeling well at all. I feel so weak my legs get shaky just holding me up. I tried to take a shower today for the first time since surgery and that was a big mistake, instant nausea and totally dizzy. I’ve pretty much been living off popsicles and Water because all broth tastes terrible to me and I’m worried with how weak I am getting. I put a message in to my surgery team and I’m sure I’ll hear from them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had the same experience because all the videos I come across people seem to happy-go-lucky by one week out. Thank you :)

Definitely try to drink more Water and Protein Shake. You’re probably dehydrated - force it if you have to! Feel better soon

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 178
5’6”

Alternate hours.

on even hours, pour 4 little one ounce cups of Water. Drink one every 15 minutes. (or more if you can handle it)

on odd hours, pour 4 little one ounce cups of Protein Drink. Drink one every 15 minutes.

Sip, sip, sip.

If you sleep 8 hours a day, and follow this schedule the other 16 hours each day....you will get in 32 ounces of Protein drink and 32+ ounces of water a day. 64 Fluid ounces per day total.

If you do this...you will feel much better.

I'll just add that I had trouble getting enough Water in--I don't know if that contributed to the issue, but I had no energy at all for the first month. And I hated the whole first month of liquids/purees/slushy foods. Hated!

It's good you called your doctor's office and I hope you hear back from them. But, otherwise, take it one day at a time and do your best with the water and Protein. It will get better.

I swear, being hydrated is the key to feeling good and healing fast. Neither @Creekimp13 nor myself had issues with food advancement or I think exhaustion. And I took her advice and treated the Fluid like a job.

I woke early (to take a medicine) and began drinking early 4oz per hour in the beginning. I would alternate as she suggested with Protein drinkings and non-water liquids on alternating hours. And by the first day home, I had gotten in 64oz of liquids (over half of that was coming from water).

I'm sorry you're struggling. ((hugs)) If you were heavy into carbs and sugar pre-surgery without going through the Atkins or Keto flu, it's also possible, that part of your extreme fatigue is your body converting from being a carb/sugar burner to being a fat burner (which you want). It's a miserable 1-3 week ordeal but once you're through your energy rebounds as long as you don't revert to being a sugar burner again.

I had my last surgeon appt yesterday and I have my surgery 4/16. My doc says that liquids come first the first week. We have stores of Protein, so it won’t hurt to have a low amount of protein, but you are guaranteed to feel terrible if you don’t get enough fluids.

I regularly drink 80-90 oz of Water a day now, so I’m actually worried that I will feel thirsty all of the time after surgery, and won’t be able to drink much. At this point, I drink out of habit. I hope that makes post surgery easier.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG scheduled for 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

I didn’t feel good my first week either. Just as everyone else has stated, your job now is to get your fluids in and do your best to get some Protein as your body starts to heal.

I did walk everyday and shower everyday, but I remember in the beginning just showering took a lot out of me. Are you getting any walking in?

Hope you feel better soon.

@texasmommy80 I was the same way before surgery and the liquids definitely go down easier then I'm ready for some , it's the protien I am having issues with.
March 27th 197
1 week post OP 191
Can't wait for summer..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my last surgeon appt yesterday and I have my surgery 4/16. My doc says that liquids come first the first week. We have stores of Protein, so it won’t hurt to have a low amount of protein, but you are guaranteed to feel terrible if you don’t get enough fluids.

I regularly drink 80-90 oz of Water a day now, so I’m actually worried that I will feel thirsty all of the time after surgery, and won’t be able to drink much. At this point, I drink out of habit. I hope that makes post surgery easier.

This is my first time replying or posting. I’m not sure if this will show up right, but we will see. My gastric bypass is scheduled for 4/16!

This is my first time replying or posting. I’m not sure if this will show up right, but we will see. My gastric bypass is scheduled for 4/16!

Awesome! It’s coming up quick.[emoji123][emoji123][emoji123]