Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone an outpatient for surgery?

Hello I will be out patient next wed. Did you have to do the blood thinner injections for 14 days ..I will have to not keen on injecting myself my neighbor will do it for me everyday

I got a blood thinner injection right before surgery and then was sent home with pills.

Wow I I didnt know there was a pill form my doctor even gave me perscription for a liquid pain killer because he stated stomach will not tolerate any pills at this time.

I was an outpatient last Thursday. Dr. Schmitt performed my sleeve and hernia repair. My recovery is not any different from his hospital stay patients though.

Thank you for the feedback. A lot of people were in shock when I told them I was an outpatient. I thought I recover fairly quickly and I didn't have to take any pain pills, just nausea tablets due to the anesthesia.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello I will be out patient next wed. Did you have to do the blood thinner injections for 14 days ..I will have to not keen on injecting myself my neighbor will do it for me everyday

No I didn't. That doesn't sound fun sorry you have to do that.

was it hard to transition to the liquid diet for two weeks ?

Sorry just saw your message. The liquid stage post op was not hard to transition to. I just didn't and still don't feel hungry. Now mentally it is a different story, when you see people around you eating while you have to be on liquids, now that is tough. I just constantly kept reminding myself why I chose to have surgery. The pureed stage is a step up but it is still difficult mentally. Im now towards the end of the soft food stage which has been much better as now I feel semi normal!

I was out patient however not on fast recovery. My surgeon only did outpatient on Monday mornings in case there were any complications. Could not eat day of surgery, 2 Protein Drinks and dinner of Protein & veg. No juices, no sodas. Post surgery the same as most here, Clear Liquids to liquids to puree etc.

I was out patient however not on fast recovery. My surgeon only did outpatient on Monday mornings in case there were any complications. Could not eat day of surgery, 2 Protein Drinks and dinner of Protein & veg. No juices, no sodas. Post surgery the same as most here, Clear Liquids to liquids to puree etc.

Sounds like we had the same surgeon [emoji2] mine was done at the crack of dawn on a Monday, I had to be at the hospital at 5am and was the first one for surgery that day

I was outpatient for both my lapband then for my revision band to SIPS. Not sure what enhanced recovery is though. But yes to the out patient question.

14 hours ago, Brownk10 said:

Wow I I didnt know there was a pill form my doctor even gave me perscription for a liquid pain killer because he stated stomach will not tolerate any pills at this time.

I was given some liquid medications, some pills and some dissolvable pills. However, I was released taking my blood pressure medication etc. as long as I tolerated it. (and I did)

There are two doctors at the office I use. One will let you swallow pills immediately and the other one won't for about four weeks. I guess they are all different.

(In all, I take five pills per day and am tolerating them all.)

14 hours ago, biakitty said:

Thank you for the feedback. A lot of people were in shock when I told them I was an outpatient. I thought I recover fairly quickly and I didn't have to take any pain pills, just nausea tablets due to the anesthesia.

That's great! I had mine on Thursday and returned to my desk job on Monday. I have been tired and a little sore but made it. I didn't have to take any pain medication or nausea medication. I have been really blessed.

My surgery date is May 25 and will be outpatient!

That's great! I had mine on Thursday and returned to my desk job on Monday. I have been tired and a little sore but made it. I didn't have to take any pain medication or nausea medication. I have been really blessed.

Me too, I was back to work the next week. I was just tired and kinda week. But now that I am eating real food, I am feeling back to normal.

My VSG was done as an outpatient.