Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect. Approaching 3 months progress

I can see a lot of people are on here as they approach their surgery and are wondering what to expect. I thought I’d take a minute to share my stats and review of the surgery:

Starting weight 1 week pre-op: 324

After pre-op diet-316

Current weight (almost 3 months post op)- 267

Total lost in less than 3 months- 57 lbs

The pre-op diet was hard- no getting around that- you are hungry bottom line. It was only a week and I was determined to have surgery so it went fast.

Surgery was relatively easy and painless with the exception of gas pains in my shoulders and back- walking and moving helped the most. I was off narcotic painkillers after the last dose during recovery. Tylenol got me through the first two days at home- then I needed nothing. I wasn’t hungry at all post op- so the hard part about pre-op was gone. I could only have liquids- i only wanted liquids. Easy.

Purees were harder simply because I only wanted to eat food that was mutually puréed; I wasn’t in to actually pureeing chunky food. I loved off of Protein Shakes, cottage cheese and refried Beans.

Soft foods was amazing. I was so happy to have food again! Fish! Crab! Scrambled eggs! Everything seemed delicious. I didn’t have troubles tolerating anything and I was full and content between meals.

Take your meds- when I forgot my heartburn prescription, I could tell.

Real food and beyond- this was easy as well. As long as you follow your Protein first rule and don’t drink when you eat you will be full and satisfied after eating so quickly.

All in all it’s what I’ve always wanted- for someone to take away my option to over eat. Luckily my struggle was always over eating at a single sitting- so grazing and eating the wrong Things has not been an issue for me pre or post op-

For example I could eat a whole hoagie for lunch before and not blink an eye. I wouldn’t snack or eat Cookies between meals but I would sit down to a large bowl of spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread. I knew before and I can confirm that after- this is the right surgery if this is your struggle.

Good luck to anyone considering. I’m so glad I did this. I have no regrets.

Congratulations on your progress. I'm only a week PO but I feel fantastic. No probs with pain at all. Gas only bothered me in my back for a few days. I progressed to puréed yesterday and it was FABULOUS!! Lol. I too was a big meal eater, not grazer. I'm so happy I did this. Best wishes to you for continued success 🦋

HW-317
SW-299 (3/28/18)
CW-290
GW#1-250
GW#2-200
GW#3-180

Thank you for sharing your experience. Like you, I was not a grazer. I always over ate at meal time. Your success and your journey thus far makes me feel more encouraged about where I am, and where I am going. Congratulations on your progress. You are doing amazing!

So- i could only eat like you in the beginning as well. Things changed during the soft phase- i was able to consume a little more.
I’m a super busy lady and most of my lunches are on the go. I try to meal plan but with a kid and running a business it’s hard- so let’s be real- my lunch is wawa egg white omelette with a slice of ham and cheese and roasted red peppers. Sometimes I can eat it all- other times not.

Sometimes I make tuna salad- a small spoon of mayo with some dill relish- it’s so good and I’m so full after 1/4-1/2 cup

Dinner is usually a lean meat- 3-4oz chicken, fish or venison- grilled or in the crock pot or instant pot and a veggie- I love stir fry and so a lot of those- I always feel so satisfied because it’s so tasty.

But to answer what I think your getting at- you can def eat more as time goes on. I stick to my 3 meals a day and reserve Snacks only for when I’m genuinely hungry (which is very rare). But I eat small- but filling, normal meals that are Protein first then veggie and I never get to the next category because I’m stuffed by then.

I’m losing because although my portions aren’t teeny tiny and I’m able to eat what feels like a good bit, it’s nothing compared to the heavy big meals I used to consume (2 servings of Pasta with meat easily). The other key has been staying active and getting exercise in. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the information very helpful cause now I am not a happy person right now I feel like my Protein Shake want to come back up and I don’t wanna think reflux but that’s exactly what it feels like but it’s good to know that things will get better

Could be nothing more than overfilling or you need to burp. Take your right arm, put it over top your head and reach for your left ear. Sometimes that will bring a reluctant burp up[emoji95] especially if you stand up at the same time. Sounds goofy but it usually works.[emoji13]And remember we all [emoji173]and support you in all your decisions![emoji106]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app