Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Half Way To Weight Goal

I was sleeved May 23 2017. I am 129 pounds down in 11 months. I have worked out but very, VERY sporadically. I have a quarter clubbed foot I had surgery on three weeks after my sleeve and have been healing it. I’m active, walk a lot.

Another fear of mine (perhaps ignorant of me) was concern about starting a workout regiment too soon because before the sleeve I had lost 119 pounds naturally and worked out like crazy :: cycled to gym, did a two hour work out that included a full body circuit of positive and negative exercises isolating the muscles, and at least 45 minutes of cardio, plus finishing exercises, and then the cycle ride home. Then my body said forget it, you can’t lose from here. And I regained.

To cut a long story short I feared exercising too soon after my sleeve would change the natural process of weight loss that happens with the sleeve and mess with my metabolism. Perhaps it was the fear of losing (since age 13) and regaining. The sleeve is the last shot and so far I’m feeling I should have been eating this way all along. It’s effortless. I do follow my plan, eating under calorie because I cannot get more than 2-3 ounces of food in. Sometimes only one or two bites depending on the consistency of the food.

I’m ready to work out. Walking is easy, weights too. BUT I love the elliptical but when I try to get on it lately I cannot stand to use it more than three minutes! This is after a warm up walk. I used to do 45 minutes at a time, followed my twenty minutes of fast cycling and circuit training after, before the surgery. I guess that’s muscle loss and my not having built up the endurance.

I am wondering if others have waited until about half way through their weight loss to work out?

If anyone waited until half way though their weightloss to work out, how did it go? Was it very slow going or ?

I’m curious to hear opinions, thoughts, or any ideas this post may bring to anyone’s mind.

Thank you for reading!

I'll let other folks weigh in on the waiting aspect, but taking a long period of time off and then getting back on an elliptical (especially an eliptical) is going to crush anyone, but probably more because of muscle memory than any kind of muscle loss. Heck you could workout on the elliptical every day and if your gym came in one day and changed the lifefitness model out for a startrac with a slightly different path of movement it would probably feel incredibly awkward (and limit your capacity) for a while before getting back to where you were.

I tried to get back to the gym as soon as possible because I thought it best to tackle the weight loss by maximizing the caloric deficit from both sides (plus I figured if I could burn off more surface fat while losing the weight I might be able to minimize the loose skin (or rather loose fat) that accompanies the weight loss (still TBD).

I'll let other folks weigh in on the waiting aspect, but taking a long period of time off and then getting back on an elliptical (especially an eliptical) is going to crush anyone, but probably more because of muscle memory than any kind of muscle loss. Heck you could workout on the elliptical every day and if your gym came in one day and changed the lifefitness model out for a startrac with a slightly different path of movement it would probably feel incredibly awkward (and limit your capacity) for a while before getting back to where you were.

I tried to get back to the gym as soon as possible because I thought it best to tackle the weight loss by maximizing the caloric deficit from both sides (plus I figured if I could burn off more surface fat while losing the weight I might be able to minimize the loose skin (or rather loose fat) that accompanies the weight loss (still TBD).

Thank you so much for this feedback! It clears a lot of questions up for me.

FWIW, I hate the elliptical. If I make three minutes on the elliptical its a banner day! Find something you like. Turns out, I like to fence. (As in, en garde.) I love it. I fence 5 hours a week now. Plus do weights and what not in the gym. Find what you like. Then do it.

FWIW, I hate the elliptical. If I make three minutes on the elliptical its a banner day! Find something you like. Turns out, I like to fence. (As in, en garde.) I love it. I fence 5 hours a week now. Plus do weights and what not in the gym. Find what you like. Then do it.

Good idea!!! I love the elliptical, just not this one lol

Congratulations on 11 months out 129 pounds down. You had foot surgery and still worked out sporadically. Thats fantastic.

Try building a workout routine arournd you personal fitness goals. What outcome are you looking for from your workout? Your endurance, fitness level, and strength will increase with time. It's already been said..yes, find exercise you enjoy.

Bodybuilding.com has some great information on workouts

My experience: Walking an hour a day was my surgeons minimum exercise requirement. I started walking day one after surgery.
My third month I had a major stall. I was walking less. I bought a gym membership and my rate of weight loss was rapid. 5 days a week hour of strength training. Hour of cardio. (Chaged up types of cardio and increased reststance over time)

I hope you find what works for you.
Jenn

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved in May 2017 too. I was not someone who worked out, and in fact had taken a brief 20+ year hiatus from any form of exercise.

I started working out after I lost 50 lbs (at 280 lbs). I have now lost 145 lbs and am now working out 4x a week.

My weight loss has slowed down since I increased my strength and cardio work, but I am also closer to goal. So while I don't know what's what, I can say without question that while I only lost 3.4 lbs in March, my body composition is changing dramatically as I elevate my work out routines.

I think anything where we gain lean muscle and improve cardiovascular/respiratory health is beneficial. While it may sometimes mess with what shows up on the scale, the scale is not the whole story.