Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band to Sleeve

Hello, I’m new here. I had a lap band put in in 2012. It was great at first and I lost around 30 pounds. I learned what foods I couldn’t eat and what was easier to eat. About 2 yrs in, I started having trouble eating anything at all. Every meal was coming back up or not going down at all. I’d have to eat standing up. How awkward is that at a restaurant? Come to find out the band was sitting at an angle so it was “kinked” so to speak. That’s how the surgeon described it after he took it out. I declined revision thinking “I got this, I can do this on my own” 9 months later I’m 30 lbs heavier and disgusted and disappointed with myself. Now considering sleeve and wondering if anyone has gone thru something similar and can tell me your experience and how the band compares to sleeve gastrectomy. Feel like a failure and just need some encouragement as well.

I revised from Lapband to Gastric Bypass. Couldn’t do Sleeve because if GERD. The Lapband was a nightmare. I love my Bypass and no more GERD, stomach illness or pain! NO regrets!

Thank you for your reply. The band became I nightmare for me as well. I’m afraid of going thru that again. Or anything like that.

I am 6 weeks post op from my revision from band to a sleeve. I have lost 27 lbs and feel great. The only difference is I don't have a port anymore. The restriction feels the same to me. I eat much less than I could with the band. My surgery was done in one operation. There were no complications. I'm very happy with the sleeve.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

DMJC.. do you have trouble getting food down? I’m ok with getting full quickly but the struggling to just get my food into my stomach and throwing up every single time is what scares me. I hope I never get that feeling again. Feels like I’m choking.

I just had my band removed in Nov. Scheduled for sleeve on May 2nd! Removing band was so easy. Was driving day 2 with little pain. Glad my surgeon didn't want to do it all in 1 Surgery!

DMJC.. do you have trouble getting food down? I’m ok with getting full quickly but the struggling to just get my food into my stomach and throwing up every single time is what scares me. I hope I never get that feeling again. Feels like I’m choking.

I have no problems with food going down. I take small bites and chew my food well. I will vomit if I eat to fast or don't chew my food well. (I learned that lesson quickly).

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had my band removed in Nov. Scheduled for sleeve on May 2nd! Removing band was so easy. Was driving day 2 with little pain. Glad my surgeon didn't want to do it all in 1 Surgery!

I was so glad to get it out. I had phantom restriction for about a week. But when I got it out I was already weighing more than my weight right before getting it. Have my sleeve consult on April 6. Your surgery is right around the corner! Congrats :)

I got the band in 2011. The tubing broke as if someone took scissors and cut it in 2013. Then it happened AGAIN in 2015 and I got it taken out. Just got sleeved on 2/14/18 after gaining back so much that I weighed 15 lbs. more than I started before the band! The restriction feels about the same as when the band was working (remember, I’m less than 2 months in). My weight loss is much slower than most first-time sleevers. I didn’t experience that 20 to 30 lbs first month loss, but I am losing at a consistent 2 lbs/week so far.

I got the band in 2011. The tubing broke as if someone took scissors and cut it in 2013. Then it happened AGAIN in 2015 and I got it taken out. Just got sleeved on 2/14/18 after gaining back so much that I weighed 15 lbs. more than I started before the band! The restriction feels about the same as when the band was working (remember, I’m less than 2 months in). My weight loss is much slower than most first-time sleevers. I didn’t experience that 20 to 30 lbs first month loss, but I am losing at a consistent 2 lbs/week so far.

I have never heard of that happening to anyone! 2 lbs a week is good. I’m really hoping I’m not making a mistake. I’d be happy with 2 lbs a week :)
I guess the fact that the sleeve is permanent is a little scary.

Hi all! I was just sleeved 6 days ago after having lapband removed I had for 16 years. The band was fine, but what was rest of the tubing got infected. I had the port and tube removed 2 years ago after a local band surgeons office infected me after a fill. So I went back to Mexico to my original surgeon and paid out of pocket so I could get the two surgeries done at once as long as band was not eroded. Didn't know until surgery time if I was going to get the sleeve, but luckily all was well with my stomach and he did both! I am home now and recovering. Little bit of pain, but I am staying off pain pill for now so I can work. Luckily work at home so can work in bed with my laptop.

I had gained back 50 of the 130bs I had lost with the band back in 2014 when I had the band completely unfilled due to expanded esophagus found in just a routine check of the band. I immediately gained 30lbs even though I was severely restricting calories..eventually went up to 50 and stayed there. Couldn't get the rest of the weight off even when refilled..then I had to deal with the infections, etc. So now I have 50lbs to get back off..and worried it will be harder than the first time. I know I should not be looking at the scale right now, but of course I do and I am UP 6lbs. Did you all check your weight right away and have a gain? Hoping it is just swelling and Water weight. Scared because of that immediate gain after unfill.

Since I am still on Clear Liquids for another day, I really don't know what my restriction is..I guess until I can eat some mushy food, I won't be able to tell. I figure that the sleeve should at least help me keep it off. The option of just trying to wing it with nothing was scary!!

Wow, I’m sorry you had to go through all that. Hopefully you’ll have success with the sleeve. Keep us updated!