Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

Hi All.

Hows it going? How are you guys feeling 10 months post op? Are you where you want to be? How have your goals stayed the same or changed?

I was sleeved on May 2 2018, and things have gone very smoothly for me, overall. I have lost 100 pounds, but Im afraid things have really slowed down for me. I haven't lost weight in the last month or so. I have been careful not to track my weight every day, or even every week so I don't become obsessed, but I have been staying around 189 consistently. The winter weather has kept me from being very active, and Im feeling a little bit down about it. Id like to keep losing, and obviously I know I need to get moving more.

Just wondering how things are going for my fellow May friends :)

Hi! Im doing good....RNY May 7, blood work has come back good every time...still struggle just getting enough water... not because I can’t drink...sometimes I just forget... my heaviest was 401...I was 358 on surgery day...I am now 245. I feel like it has slowed down for me also...next apt is the 7th of May for my 1 year...

Good morning May sleevers!

Its all good here. I am still losing although it has slowed down quite dramatically now. Last month I think I lost 2lbs and this month I have lost 3lbs but its still a downward trend so not complaining!

Surprisingly, my skin seems to have retracted quite well, initially my arms and stomach sagged quite a bit but because I am a slow loser, maybe it has caught up with itself.

Hoping we are all doing well, post and let us all know :)

I was sleeved 5/3/18 at 235 pounds, 65 years old. I mention the age because I was capable of doing much more exercise, even just ten years ago. I'm now 171 pounds. The first 40 pounds came off in the first 3 1/2 months. Since then it's been slow for me, but still going down. I'm following the eating plan and doing "silver sneakers aerobics" 2 times a week. My doctor told me ahead of the surgery that a post menopausal woman's metabolism is slow. I know it would be faster if I could do more exercise but I also have chronic fatigue syndrome, which is why I got the surgery to begin with. If I could have lost this weight the old fashioned way, I would have. I'd done it many times before. I had hope for more energy after the surgery and have had a few really good days, but nothing consistent. The best news for me is that whatever I have to do is MUCH easier for me now. Hoping with summer coming to get out more and walk more. The only thing that happened to me that was concerning since the surgery is I had some pain/tenderness in my right abdomen and it turned out to be gallbladder sludge. I still don't understand why I have this since if people get it after surgery it's usually because they lost a lot of weight really fast. By Sept '18 my weight loss had already slowed quite a bit and it wasn't until just before Christmas I began having the symptoms. Had the ultrasound just before Christmas. Then, not knowing yet what it was, I did treat myself Christmas Eve, Christmas Day & New Year's Eve. On N.Y.'s day, I had a stabbing pain that radiated up into my chest and around my back. It was scary. Doctor told me the next day it was cuz of the GB. Since then, I've been very good about low fat again and learned my lesson. I do still have the tenderness from time to time, but nothing like NY's day. Other than that, I've been great. I'm very happy I did this.

It has been a very big struggle for me. Being on insulin and then having hormonal issues related to peri /menopause and having to go on hormones, I have hardly lost any weight at all. I have been through so many stages of frustration and feeling of failure but had to come to terms with the fact that my body is not the same as everyone else's……...I have only lost 56 lbs

God I’m sooo hoping to get approved and have a date set for May!! So far on track!

4 hours ago, BajanSleeve said:

It has been a very big struggle for me. Being on insulin and then having hormonal issues related to peri /menopause and having to go on hormones, I have hardly lost any weight at all. I have been through so many stages of frustration and feeling of failure but had to come to terms with the fact that my body is not the same as everyone else's……...I have only lost 56 lbs

Hey don't feel bad about it. Losing 56lbs is still a great achievement!

Just think, how else would you have been able to lose that amount of weight in such a short time, don't beat yourself up :)

I'm having a stand still as well. Only lost 55 pounds and I'm constantly fluctuating 5 lbs. New surgeon is giving me 2 months and if no changes wants to talk about a new procedure that i don't want. Hormones are terrible, medications aren't making the weightloss any easier. I hope things get better soon for you.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:10 AM, LovableLisha said:
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, BajanSleeve said:

I'm having a stand still as well. Only lost 55 pounds and I'm constantly fluctuating 5 lbs. New surgeon is giving me 2 months and if no changes wants to talk about a new procedure that i don't want. Hormones are terrible, medications aren't making the weightloss any easier. I hope things get better soon for you.

I am so sorry you are going through it as well. Its a very frustrating place to be. Are you within the peri / menopausal age as well? I'd be interested to know what medication your doctor is speaking about

I lost 100 lbs very easily by about Nov last year after my sleeve. I’ve been stuck and going up and down about 5 lbs. I was 255 at highest, 234 at surgery and I’m 156 today. I want to hit 150, where I won’t be overweight. The holidays and then work stress didn’t help me with overeating at night and drinking wine. Wine is terrible for me and I am having a hard time to give it up. I have to find a better way to deal with my stress and can’t fall back to old habits. It’s been wonderful but it’s just a tool-now I have to do the hard work!

On 2/11/2019 at 4:41 PM, Mikeyy said:

Would love to know more about the whole process with ASHFORD.

my BMI is 42. How many appointments are needed to get the surgery date. What costs for each appointment? For the whole surgery was it just the one off facility fee?? Plz reply

Sorry I missed this initial question Mikeyy! I had a first appointment at Ashford with the bariatric physician in late March talking about my weight and health history, explaining the sleeve procedure (which was what I went in wanting), the pro-op diet etc. Had second appointment with the surgeon himself, Dr Michael France, only a week or so later, and was able to book in for my sleeve surgery 3 weeks after that on 2nd May. I think the out of pocket costs were about $150 for each of the visits? (may be over-estimating). With PHI the $3500 gap fee for the surgery includes all follow up appointments which so far were at (I think) 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months, and soon 1 year. Anaesthetist gap was I think $400, and my health insurance excess on admission was $250.

Very happy with my surgeon and outcomes. As per our recent private messages, Dr Michael France primarily does gastric sleeve surgery (and I think is the most experience with sleeve in Adelaide) but there are many others who do bypass if that is your preferred surgery.

Updating me at 10 months post op. Doing really well, weight loss has slowed a lot as I approach "normal" BMI with only 12kg to go to ultimate goal weight. I have booked in with a local plastic surgeon for an initial appointment in June to discuss possible skin removal surgeries starting from the end of this year. Once I meet the "weight stable for at least 6 months" medicare requirement I will be possibly looking at the following skin removal surgeries: belt lipectomy (aka 360 degree body lift), extended Tummy Tuck (likely including fleur de lis vertical incision), breast lift and possible reduction (the poor girls are now maybe 2/3 their original size but only 1/4 their original volume), upper arm lift and inner thigh lift.

I'm feeling well, still not keen on walking in place or lifting weights at a gym thus far, but enjoying a lot of physical movement and activity doing gardening work (including now some paid casual gardening work helping another lady at her place) and beach fishing.

I'm down to mostly size small/10 Australian tops, skirts and dresses, and size 10-12 pants but the excess skin remaining still requires larger undies and jeans. I STILL have calves too chunky for most gumboots (thanks genetics! lol) so although the rest of me fits well in standard fishing waders I still need custom ones, and have taken my previously XXL custom pair back to the manufacturer across town the other week for them to use the same cut-down boots but attach a size small body-section to them :)

Tomorrow I'll enjoy going back to
a local large second-hand place to look at some smaller autumn/winter clothing for me as the size 16 stuff from last winter/early spring is much too big now :) I got a few lovely dresses and tops there the other week (with a friend there to help me select suitable stuff to try, and giving honest feedback on how things look on).. I took a friend as I realised I have no concept of suitable styles yet for my much smaller and differently shaped body! I had to previously make do with whatever fit best / looked least bad from the very small selection of plus size clothing available.

I hope everyone else is doing well and feeling good.

(note, my friend photobombing my blue dress photo is actually wearing one of my old plus-size t-shirts)
(the watermelon is one I grew this summer, an Orangeglo melon with bright orange flesh and it weighed 12.2kg. This was the first photo I posted on my Facebook recently that showed my weight loss and sparked a lot of surprise/questions from those who hadn't heard about my surgery)

FaceOffFridayFeb2019.jpg

PromDressBack2019.jpg

blueDress.jpg

Watermelon10022019.jpg