Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

12 minutes ago, Meggs11 said:

I think maybe your Nutritionist is coming from a place where they don't want you to become obsessed with calorie counting? Who knows? I am definitely trying to get my calories up in hopes that I don't destroy my metabolism either. I am two weeks post op and I average 450 to 600 a day but yesterday I got up to 700. My Nutritionist told me I should be getting at least 60 grams of Protein a day and try to stay above 500 calories a day for this soon out of surgery but to get it to 1000 as soon as I can without over filling my sleeve. She said for the first couple months you should be eating/drinking a shake every 2ish hours.

This is what my calories and grams of protein look like right now:

7am - 270 cal/ 30g - Morning Protein Powder (120 cal, 20g ) and a cup and half of lactose free milk (150 cal, 10g)

10am - 80 cal/ 1g - Half of cup of pureed sweet potato and lentil Soup

Noon - 50 cal/ 8g - Half a cup of greek yogurt watered down

3pm - 160 cal/ 20g - Premier Protein shake

6pm - 100 cal/ 3g - Tomato Soup with a little greek yogurt mixed in.

So that puts me at 660 calories a day and 61 grams of protein. This does not include all my water/tea. I feel like am constantly having to eat to get this high but I don't want to get fatigued or malnourished. Soon as I can start having soft foods I am hoping to get it to 800 at least.

Thank you Meggs11! I have been very weak and tired and I told this to my nutritionist and she just said "it'll get better". She's given me conflicting information and I think maybe even bad information. It just makes sense that there has to be a minimum protein grams and calories. She also told me not to have Protein Drinks and to concentrate on eating real, although soft, foods. I just can't eat enough to get what I know I need. That's why I started drinking that Protein Drink. I'm definitely going to add another protein drink to my day, among other things. Like maybe add part of a banana to my protein drink. Thank you!

On 06/13/2018 at 14:46, HopefullXOXOXO said:

Taoz or anyone else,

My nutritionist keeps telling me I don't have to count Protein grams or calories. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow. This just doesn't seem right to me. Can you please tell me what you've been told about minimum Protein grams per day and calories? I'm lucky to get 500-600 calories a day and I'm concerned that this will put my metabolism into reverse if I keep it up. I also can't have any starches for another 2 months at least. I just remember when Oprah pulled the wagon of fat out on her show years ago after losing a lot of weight on Optifast only. Since then she's said many times it was a huge mistake because it changed her metabolism forever and not in a good way. That's the last thing I want to happen to me.

I'm feeling ok but still not eating much. I have to drink Isopure Zero Carb (20 oz. has 40 grams of protein and goes down like water) in order to even come close to 60 grams of protein each day. I also don't want to lose muscle, especially since I have so little of it! LOL!

I'd love to know what others have been told about amount of protein and/or calories we should be consuming each day. Please.

I was told to aim for 800-1000 calories a day and 75-90g of protein plus 64oz of Water. I’m a month out from VSG and I’m not close to hitting any of this lol. I DID hit my Fluid intake today so that’s something. I saw my surgeon today and he said to just listen to your body. Some people can get those goals in quickly, and others (like myself) take more time. I’m not stressing about it. I do what I can, but if it takes me longer, so be it. I still can’t do very much soft food, let alone solids. As long as I stay hydrated, I consider it a win. I tried pushing myself too hard earlier and ended up not being able to keep anything down. Not even water. After 3 bags of IV fluids in the hospital, I learned my lesson. I’m just taking my time getting there.

I think a nutritionist can really make or break things at that point. Because I started a bariatric program 4 years ago and was on a diet for 7 months before I backed out of the surgery, I can compare the nutritionist I had last time and this time. This one is also against measuring and counting calories, and her diet instructions have been very vague. If I hadn't gone through a program prior to this, I would be totally lost at this point. That being said, having experienced two programs, I can HIGHLY recommend my previous program at Lutheran Hospital in Park Ridge for any Chicago area people!

6 weeks tomorrow, it's starting to get easier and I am able to eat a bigger variety of foods but still not very much. The mental side is getting easier, I just spent a whole weekend away with friends at a church camp, the food is always really carby and massive portions, I just stuck with my Protein Bars and small bits of Protein off my partners plate - it was hard but easier than I thought it was going to be when I was thinking about the weekend.

In terms of meat protein, I have so far only really tried chicken and pork - chicken isn't great, I get about two bites and I'm done, but pork seems to go down a lot better. I bought cold rolls from the local Vietnamese place the other day, cut them open, took out all the meat, mixed it with their amazing peanut sauce and ate that. I got through maybe 35 grams (1-1.5ounces)

Haven't been counting anything much other than liquids. My surgery didn't have a nutritionist or dietician or anything, so I have ended up finding a new WLS Centre that has all of those things and I have an appointment on Tuesday next week, which I am hoping will help me focus things a bit better.

I am still losing weight, although stalled this week, I've been mostly eating things like protein bars, pork crackle stuff because of the really high protein, but trying to not to eat too much as they are high in salt and a DEFINITE slider food.. I reckon if I wanted I could easily eat a whole bag.

I ordered the Protein Perfection protein Water stuff, it arrived today, I had high hopes, but so far I have hated all the flavours, so sickly made me gag. I really need to find a Liquid Protein that I can stomach, tried the Atkins brand low carb Protein Shake today - that's also disgusting.

I have found this brand of Protein bars is great, they are quite small only a 30gram serve with 10.1 grams of protein in each bar, they are a great mid-morning/afternoon snack.

http://www.smartlivingnutrition.com.au/

Thought I would also attach a bit of a progress photo :)

Comparison.png

1 hour ago, ivastic said:

I ordered the Protein Perfection protein Water stuff, it arrived today, I had high hopes, but so far I have hated all the flavours, so sickly made me gag. I really need to find a Liquid Protein that I can stomach, tried the Atkins brand low carb Protein Shake today - that's also disgusting.

I couldn't stand the protein perfection protein waters either. WAAAAY too sweet for me (had to dilute a single 7g protein scoop down with 500-600ml Water to make it drinkable, but still didn't much like the fake flavours).

I now make my own (and hubbies) protein water with lovely fresh-brewed fruit teas of our choice, chilled, and then mixed with bodie'z "unflavored" protein water powder. SOOOoo much better, and can add only the amount of sweetness I want to them (a little powdered stevia). On it's own the "unflavored" bodie'z has a slightly icky fruity flavour, and it doens't blend well with milk, but the odd taste disappears in the fruit teas. Hubby likes it with twinings "lemon and ginger" and "orange with cinnamon", I like it with twinings "strawberry, raspberry and loganberry", and red seal "peach and pineapple".

The other great food I'm having is sous vide extra soft cooked chicken. The marylands/drumsticks cook for 4-6 hours in an airtight bag in a 165F circulating hot water bath. They wind up really soft, tasty and juicy and I haven't had any trouble tolerating the chicken meat from 2 weeks post op.

Did I see that you live south of Adelaide too? (I'm in Hallett Cove). You're welcome to come over some time and try some stuff? (just expect my house to look trashed most of the time).

18 hours ago, HopefullXOXOXO said:

Taoz or anyone else,

My nutritionist keeps telling me I don't have to count Protein grams or calories. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow. This just doesn't seem right to me. Can you please tell me what you've been told about minimum Protein grams per day and calories? I'm lucky to get 500-600 calories a day and I'm concerned that this will put my metabolism into reverse if I keep it up. I also can't have any starches for another 2 months at least. I just remember when Oprah pulled the wagon of fat out on her show years ago after losing a lot of weight on Optifast only. Since then she's said many times it was a huge mistake because it changed her metabolism forever and not in a good way. That's the last thing I want to happen to me.

I'm feeling ok but still not eating much. I have to drink Isopure Zero Carb (20 oz. has 40 grams of protein and goes down like water) in order to even come close to 60 grams of protein each day. I also don't want to lose muscle, especially since I have so little of it! LOL!

I'd love to know what others have been told about amount of protein and/or calories we should be consuming each day. Please.

I am sorry you are not getting the care you need from your nutritionist, that must be very frustrating for you. I just want to say that Oprah is not a good source of information on diet and nutrition, and certainly not for anything concerning real science. The truth is you will not change your metabolism forever unless you burn out your pancreas and it doesn't produce insulin anymore. Humans are built for homeostasis, which means our bodies naturally try to compensate for the things we do to it. It always tries to go back to default settings. You are fine, your metabolism will not go in reverse. Think about it this way...when humans were only hunter gatherers we often went long times without protein and most of human existence was agrarian, where we ate mostly what we grew. You are going to be fine. Do the best you can, think of food as fuel, pay attention to your body, trust yourself, put as much wholesome food into your body as you can and don't forget to hydrate!

6 hours ago, ivastic said:

6 weeks tomorrow, it's starting to get easier and I am able to eat a bigger variety of foods but still not very much. The mental side is getting easier, I just spent a whole weekend away with friends at a church camp, the food is always really carby and massive portions, I just stuck with my Protein Bars and small bits of Protein off my partners plate - it was hard but easier than I thought it was going to be when I was thinking about the weekend.

In terms of meat Protein, I have so far only really tried chicken and pork - chicken isn't great, I get about two bites and I'm done, but pork seems to go down a lot better. I bought cold rolls from the local Vietnamese place the other day, cut them open, took out all the meat, mixed it with their amazing peanut sauce and ate that. I got through maybe 35 grams (1-1.5ounces)

Haven't been counting anything much other than liquids. My surgery didn't have a nutritionist or dietician or anything, so I have ended up finding a new WLS Centre that has all of those things and I have an appointment on Tuesday next week, which I am hoping will help me focus things a bit better.

I am still losing weight, although stalled this week, I've been mostly eating things like protein bars, pork crackle stuff because of the really high protein, but trying to not to eat too much as they are high in salt and a DEFINITE slider food.. I reckon if I wanted I could easily eat a whole bag.

I have found this brand of Protein bars is great, they are quite small only a 30gram serve with 10.1 grams of protein in each bar, they are a great mid-morning/afternoon snack.

http://www.smartlivingnutrition.com.au/

Thought I would also attach a bit of a progress photo :)

Comparison.png

You shrunk! You look amazing, great job!

26 minutes ago, Zoftig_Girl said:

26 minutes ago, Zoftig_Girl said:

I agree! Great job!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about minimum calories and Protein per day. I appreciate it!

@ivastic you look great! Can clearly see your face a lot smaller. That's the only place you can really tell on me as well. Keep it up. Its encouraging to see the progress pics

Just hit 5 weeks post-op. Feeling pretty good. Down about 25 lb since surgery. Not worrying too much about the scale though the numbers look nice for. Finding it difficult to get all my Protein in now that I'm on solid but I get a little better each day. Decided it's time to incorporate some exercise so we'll see how that goes. Definitely need to start working on vitamins!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 15/06/2018 at 5:11 AM, BajanSleeve said:

@ivastic you look great! Can clearly see your face a lot smaller. That's the only place you can really tell on me as well. Keep it up. Its encouraging to see the progress pics

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, certainly helps to keep motivated. I bought some new clothes on the weekend because seriously was looking like I was walking around in a bed sheets. 6XL at my largest size in December 2017, today, I am wearing a 3XL and its probably still a little big (target Mr. Big sale $10 shirts, and this was the smallest size they had)

sleeved 5-10

SW 297
CW 257

Feel good except for lower energy still. Doc says it can last 6-8 weeks.

I'm actually still fearful of heavy lifting, etc. I want to try playing golf, but have fear of damaging my sleeve although I've been assured it's close to being totally healed.

My scars are pretty good, still have small scabs on the two biggest scars and kinda surprised by that.

I was sleeved on 5/31 im

about 19 days out and feeling great 👍 the weight isn’t coming off as fast as I’d like but I’m still working on it ! I had to give away more than half of my closet because the cloths were too big and I feel great !!!