Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

I haven't had any problems with Bariatric Advantage brand Vitamins. My nutritionist says the Patches will be great but they are too new and haven't been perfected yet. Maybe in a year or so.

I'm doing ok with my BNMulti Australian bariatric Multivitamin capsules (can't stand the taste of the chewables) but I do make sure to have them with solids at Breakfast and dinner. I also use their chewable (much nicer tasting) Calcium and Vitamin D tablets 2-3 times a day, plus Biotin and Iron supplements.

Edited by Taoz

I was sleeved on May 23. It was super painful for the first four days. I start puréed food tomorrow. Looking forward to that. My emotions have been all over the place. Something I wasn’t expecting. I have been on Zoloft and it is now causing extreme diarrhea (TMI). I think just having liquids has not helped! Just trying to get myself straightened out. Thanks for reading!

My VSG was May 29th so technically a May sleeve albeit at the end . How did everyone's surgery go? Mine went very well, no issues. I am in phase 2 post op. I feel hungry all the time though. I am having difficulty keeping the 500-600 calorie range. Its more like 700-800 :/

I am surprised at how much I can drink at one time and I certainly can comfortably drink more than 4 oz of Soup. More like 6 oz. I am starting to feel like there is something wrong because I feel like I can ingest more than they say I should be able to comfortably.

How are you all doing?

You described me perfectly. I feel great and even immediately after surgery I have had no problem keeping liquids down. When I get hungry I drink a Premiere Protein Shake. My doctor told me not to worry so much about how much liquids I can drink. He said I should be losing about 1 lb a day and I am.

I had my surgery May 7th. I'm not sure if that would put me at 4 or 5 weeks out. My starting weight was 180lb. I am down 26lbs. I am 5'2 and my bmi was 32. My surgery was easy and without complication. I am feeling very blessed to have had no issue. I am just where I can eat real food. I still take a Protein shot everyday. They are really sweet tasting so I do delute them. I have thrown up a couple of time because I ate something probably sooner then I should have.

I am going on a 2 week vacation this Thursday. I am hoping I will make smart choices. If anybody has any suggestion on how to stay on track while on vacation, please let me know.

Edited by RitcheeF

I feel the same way. No problem getting in all my Protein and Water. I'm still hungry. Sometimes I wonder if the surgeon really removed part of my stomach. I haven't had any issues (Knock on wood). I am just a little tired. This has been a lot easier than I anticipated!

On 06/12/2018 at 09:23, loveandpeace said:

I feel the same way. No problem getting in all my Protein and Water. I'm still hungry. Sometimes I wonder if the surgeon really removed part of my stomach. I haven't had any issues (Knock on wood). I am just a little tired. This has been a lot easier than I anticipated!

I’m not sure how long ago your surgery was, but I was surprised by my level of hunger, too. If you’re on liquids, that’s probably the reason. My surgeon said liquids aren’t going to “fill you up” like food will. Now that I’m 6 weeks out, I’m not as hungry as I was.

I am exactly 2 weeks out of surgery today. I am in the phase 2 stage so pureed foods but still liquids per say. My greatest challenge is maintaining the 500-600 calories in this stage! Good gosh, I mange 700-800 calories. My Protein Powder alone is 176.10 calories alone to make my 80 grams of Protein a day quota.

I am no where near meeting my 64 oz liquid a day. The highest I have managed is 45 oz and that includes Soup and Protein Drink including flavoured Water. I feel like my life revolves around drinking.

My parents returned to Barbados with me for a month to help me recover. I have actually been cooking some meals for them and having to go out to meals with them and family. Its very hard because just the smell alone makes me want to dive into food. However I learned a lesson last night. I fried some local fish last night for them and I ate just the smallest bit - maybe 2 1/2 inches long and an inch wide and boy did my stomach feel like it was backing up into my chest! I shall not be doing that again until the solid food stage.

I have not lost weight in 3 days now

On 06/12/2018 at 09:59, BajanSleeve said:

I am exactly 2 weeks out of surgery today. I am in the phase 2 stage so pureed foods but still liquids per say. My greatest challenge is maintaining the 500-600 calories in this stage! Good gosh, I mange 700-800 calories. My Protein Powder alone is 176.10 calories alone to make my 80 grams of Protein a day quota.

I am no where near meeting my 64 oz liquid a day. The highest I have managed is 45 oz and that includes Soup and Protein Drink including flavoured Water. I feel like my life revolves around drinking.

My parents returned to Barbados with me for a month to help me recover. I have actually been cooking some meals for them and having to go out to meals with them and family. Its very hard because just the smell alone makes me want to dive into food. However I learned a lesson last night. I fried some local fish last night for them and I ate just the smallest bit - maybe 2 1/2 inches long and an inch wide and boy did my stomach feel like it was backing up into my chest! I shall not be doing that again until the solid food stage.

I have not lost weight in 3 days now

Don’t worry about not losing weight right now... that seems to be very common. I didn’t lose any weight at your stage but I’ve lost over 27 pounds now, and 4.5 just in the last 3 days. It freaked me out too, then I posted here and a lot people said it is common.

37 minutes ago, loveandpeace said:

I agree. The surgery and the recovery part has been easier than I thought. But adjusting to new eating and dealing with the hunger has been the hardest part for me, so far. In addition I am diabetic so trying to adjust insulin levels without going hypoglycemic is also an additional challenge. So I have been erring on being on the high sigh.

I've wondered the same thing too but if you try to eat more than you can you will defiantly know that your stomach has been decreased! The pain you feel will remind you :) I just wished this hunger hormone would chill out more than it has. Based on what I had read I anticipated that I could feel much less hunger than I actually have

14 hours ago, RitcheeF said:

I had my surgery May 7th. I'm not sure if that would put me at 4 or 5 weeks out. My starting weight was 180lb. I am down 26lbs. I am 5'2 and my bmi was 32. My surgery was easy and without complication. I am feeling very blessed to have had no issue. I am just where I can eat real food. I still take a Protein shot everyday. They are really sweet tasting so I do delute them. I have thrown up a couple of time because I ate something probably sooner then I should have.

I am going on a 2 week vacation this Thursday. I am hoping I will make smart choices. If anybody has any suggestion on how to stay on track while on vacation, please let me know.

I went to palm springs last weekend for 4 days with some friends and my husband. I bought my own food from a local Whole foods and made myself mocktails...For mocktails, I used 15 cal minute made, like mango passion and threw some fresh squeezed ginger and little spicy mixer from muddle and wilde (SUMAC CHILI LIME to be exact). The mocktail was amazing. Other mocktail, I made was 15 cal minute made lemonade with Muddle and Wilde Lime Jalapeno with some fresh mint. I also brought with me String cheese to eat on all day and had almonds. Also log all your foods in an app like My Pal Fitness. My friends were all supportive of my new eatting habits and didn't make a fuss or question anything. You will be alright. You can do this!

Welcome new May sleevers, and I'm glad to read you are all recovering well. Don't be worried if you are hungry in the early stages because you really aren't getting many calories in yet, and fluids don't feel filling. I mostly stuck between 600 and 800 calories and am now trying to push it up to about 900. I still need to see a dietitian here, but hope to move towards a sensible 1000-1200 calories a day as soon as I'm able to eat more solids, as I want to incorporate more healthy veggie and wholegrain complex carbs in my long term diet.

Doing well over here, though I think I might have lost a few kilos in the bathroom today (TMI but hadn't gone for a few days while I was stuck taking a lot of codeine for headaches then a full Migraine yesterday, then got an upset tummy tonight which I think was some follow through from the crappy cold virus that had me running a temp and headachy the past 5 days - fingers crossed that means it's all been flushed away! hehe).

I do need to get busy doing more exercise as soon as I have kicked this virus, but it's winter over here in Oz so just walking outdoors is out. I think I'll have to commit to joining a gym at least for the winter.

I tried some of the ALDI very low carb bread the other day but didn't really like it. Still trying a few other types of Protein Bars and supplements and I'm keeping up my Vitamins. I even got to enjoy a decent sized salad today :) had been missing those.

Best wishes to all!

7 hours ago, Taoz said:

Welcome new May sleevers, and I'm glad to read you are all recovering well. Don't be worried if you are hungry in the early stages because you really aren't getting many calories in yet, and fluids don't feel filling. I mostly stuck between 600 and 800 calories and am now trying to push it up to about 900. I still need to see a dietitian here, but hope to move towards a sensible 1000-1200 calories a day as soon as I'm able to eat more solids, as I want to incorporate more healthy veggie and wholegrain complex carbs in my long term diet.

Doing well over here, though I think I might have lost a few kilos in the bathroom today (TMI but hadn't gone for a few days while I was stuck taking a lot of codeine for headaches then a full Migraine yesterday, then got an upset tummy tonight which I think was some follow through from the crappy cold virus that had me running a temp and headachy the past 5 days - fingers crossed that means it's all been flushed away! hehe).

I do need to get busy doing more exercise as soon as I have kicked this virus, but it's winter over here in Oz so just walking outdoors is out. I think I'll have to commit to joining a gym at least for the winter.

I tried some of the ALDI very low carb bread the other day but didn't really like it. Still trying a few other types of Protein Bars and supplements and I'm keeping up my Vitamins. I even got to enjoy a decent sized salad today :) had been missing those.

Best wishes to all!

Taoz or anyone else,

My nutritionist keeps telling me I don't have to count Protein grams or calories. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow. This just doesn't seem right to me. Can you please tell me what you've been told about minimum protein grams per day and calories? I'm lucky to get 500-600 calories a day and I'm concerned that this will put my metabolism into reverse if I keep it up. I also can't have any starches for another 2 months at least. I just remember when Oprah pulled the wagon of fat out on her show years ago after losing a lot of weight on Optifast only. Since then she's said many times it was a huge mistake because it changed her metabolism forever and not in a good way. That's the last thing I want to happen to me.

I'm feeling ok but still not eating much. I have to drink Isopure Zero Carb (20 oz. has 40 grams of protein and goes down like water) in order to even come close to 60 grams of protein each day. I also don't want to lose muscle, especially since I have so little of it! LOL!

I'd love to know what others have been told about amount of protein and/or calories we should be consuming each day. Please.

8 minutes ago, HopefullXOXOXO said:

Taoz or anyone else,

My nutritionist keeps telling me I don't have to count Protein grams or calories. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow. This just doesn't seem right to me. Can you please tell me what you've been told about minimum Protein grams per day and calories? I'm lucky to get 500-600 calories a day and I'm concerned that this will put my metabolism into reverse if I keep it up. I also can't have any starches for another 2 months at least. I just remember when Oprah pulled the wagon of fat out on her show years ago after losing a lot of weight on Optifast only. Since then she's said many times it was a huge mistake because it changed her metabolism forever and not in a good way. That's the last thing I want to happen to me.

I'm feeling ok but still not eating much. I have to drink Isopure Zero Carb (20 oz. has 40 grams of protein and goes down like water) in order to even come close to 60 grams of protein each day. I also don't want to lose muscle, especially since I have so little of it! LOL!

I'd love to know what others have been told about amount of protein and/or calories we should be consuming each day. Please.

I think maybe your Nutritionist is coming from a place where they don't want you to become obsessed with calorie counting? Who knows? I am definitely trying to get my calories up in hopes that I don't destroy my metabolism either. I am two weeks post op and I average 450 to 600 a day but yesterday I got up to 700. My Nutritionist told me I should be getting at least 60 grams of protein a day and try to stay above 500 calories a day for this soon out of surgery but to get it to 1000 as soon as I can without over filling my sleeve. She said for the first couple months you should be eating/drinking a shake every 2ish hours.

This is what my calories and grams of protein look like right now:

7am - 270 cal/ 30g - Morning Protein powder (120 cal, 20g ) and a cup and half of lactose free milk (150 cal, 10g)

10am - 80 cal/ 1g - Half of cup of pureed sweet potato and lentil Soup

Noon - 50 cal/ 8g - Half a cup of greek yogurt watered down

3pm - 160 cal/ 20g - Premier Protein Shake

6pm - 100 cal/ 3g - Tomato Soup with a little greek yogurt mixed in.

So that puts me at 660 calories a day and 61 grams of protein. This does not include all my water/tea. I feel like am constantly having to eat to get this high but I don't want to get fatigued or malnourished. Soon as I can start having soft foods I am hoping to get it to 800 at least.