Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

I have a question, don't mean to get off subject but I was sleeved on the 8th and down 8lbs already. Did anyone get the glue on their incisions? If so, did you pull off the glue or did it fall off? I had my one week check up yesterday and the Dr told me that I can pull it off in the shower. I did manage to pull 2 of them off but Im scared to do the rest.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/5/2018 at 11:27 PM, Sunshineprincess said:

Awesome! I'm trying to keep myself calm as it gets closer and think of all the changes I will have. We'll have to keep each other updated. Good luck on your journey :-)

I have glue on mine too. Had surgery May 7 and the glue is off 3 of the incisions. Mine started peeling around the edges and I couldn't help but pick at it! Lol. So picked a little each day and got the three off. The only one that isn't peeling now is the largest and I'm leaving it alone until it starts coming off naturally.

Oops, replied to the wrong person! Sorry about that Sunshineprincess.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, lorik402 said:

Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm scheduled for May 21st! Very Nervous!

Im May 21st as well. Im actually getting less and less apprehensive as it gets closer. Nice to read about all the other folks here who have went through what we are about to. Its reassuring and calming.

Oh ok cool. Mine was peeling on the edges as well but my dr was picking at it yesterday and told me to finish it in the shower. I don't want to mess with that one either, lol

I'm on Day 2 of the pre-op diet (surgery is 5/29) and I'm struggling! I just choked down a yogurt (required), but I'm behind on my daily requirements. I hope people are right when they say the pre-op diet is the worse part of the whole process. :(

34 minutes ago, DippedInChocolate said:

I have a question, don't mean to get off subject but I was sleeved on the 8th and down 8lbs already. Did anyone get the glue on their incisions? If so, did you pull off the glue or did it fall off? I had my one week check up yesterday and the Dr told me that I can pull it off in the shower. I did manage to pull 2 of them off but Im scared to do the rest.

I was sleeved on the 8th as well. My glue is holding on pretty well and I haven’t been tempted to pick at it. One of them is nearly off, but as long as it’s still coving the incision, I’m leaving it alone.

You’re lucky you got a check in today! I don’t see my doctor until the 24th, but I’d love some reassurance that everything is on track right now!

I was sleeved a week ago yesterday and I’m done 13.2lbs so far. It’s a big number and I’m grateful for it, but I’m also a much bigger person than many of the other posters here. It’s just easilier to lose at my weight.

32 minutes ago, Uterno said:

I'm on Day 2 of the pre-op diet (surgery is 5/29) and I'm struggling! I just choked down a yogurt (required), but I'm behind on my daily requirements. I hope people are right when they say the pre-op diet is the worse part of the whole process. :(

I am really struggling too! I am on day two and I have such a fierce headache which I am assuming is from carb withdrawls, I have diarrhea (TMI, oops!) and flippin hangry! I did hear it gets easier as the days go on and eventually your body will adapt. But its so hard right now.

I would love to hear from people who have gone through the pre-op liquid what their experience was like or when it got easier for them.

1 hour ago, HopefullXOXOXO said:

I’d be thrilled with 7 pounds in one week. The 7 pounds I lost was over two weeks. Two other people here reported 14 pounds in two weeks. Considering I haven’t eaten in over two weeks, I really thought it would be more.

Sorry I meant 7lbs in two weeks. I have noticed there seems to be two groups of people in regards to weight loss after surgery. One group tends to lose really big numbers right off the bat but goes through a bunch of really long stalls later on or the other group that loses weight consistently and somewhat slower. I weigh 256lbs right now and I am hoping to lose 12-15lbs my first month.

Wow congrats CleaClo thats great. Yea I was told that the bigger you are you will lose faster but I was smaller so it will take longer for me. I went in on Tuesday at 207, when I started the process a year ago I was 220 but Im only 5-2" so my bmi was at 40. We can all do this together

1 hour ago, Meggs11 said:

Sorry I meant 7lbs in two weeks. I have noticed there seems to be two groups of people in regards to weight loss after surgery. One group tends to lose really big numbers right off the bat but goes through a bunch of really long stalls later on or the other group that loses weight consistently and somewhat slower. I weigh 256lbs right now and I am hoping to lose 12-15lbs my first month.

Thanks Megg11! I'm happy to lose it slowly and consistently and really hope that's what happens. Just got home from the Dr. & nutritionist and was told the following about weight loss after surgery. First, like you said and others have said, the more you have to lose, the faster and more you lose right after surgery. Second, the healthier you eat before surgery, the slower the weight comes off. A man in his 20's will have a much faster metabolism than a post menopausal 65 year old woman (me!) and therefore the man with the automatically faster metabolism would lose more weight faster. Which all makes sense. I was told not to weigh myself but once a week and not to focus on the weight but focus on eating right, hydration and exercise. What will be, will be. This is what I'll do. I really haven't been focused on the number of pounds lost but am just surprised that anyone could not eat for two weeks and not lose more weight.

The really good news is I'm approved to begin soft foods tomorrow!!! YAY!!! First up: scrambled eggs with little bits of low fat ham in them. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

2 hours ago, Meggs11 said:

I am really struggling too! I am on day two and I have such a fierce Headache which I am assuming is from carb withdrawls, I have diarrhea (TMI, oops!) and flippin hangry! I did hear it gets easier as the days go on and eventually your body will adapt. But its so hard right now.

I would love to hear from people who have gone through the pre-op liquid what their experience was like or when it got easier for them.

I struggled badly preop though I was allowed low carb vegetables and Protein meals. Make sure if you’re a coffee drinker not to stop suddenly as this will also bring on headache. Apparently hydrolyte from chemist can help a lot also. I suffered with an excruciating Migraine post op also which my dr said is common Due to lack of food and sugar. As soon as I was allowed off Water I had a little apple juice and coffee but it only really improved when I got some IV dynastat. That is an anti inflammatory that is actually safe to use on surgery patients.

1 hour ago, jules1 said:

I struggled badly preop though I was allowed low carb vegetables and Protein meals. Make sure if you’re a coffee drinker not to stop suddenly as this will also bring on Headache. Apparently hydrolyte from chemist can help a lot also. I suffered with an excruciating Migraine post op also which my dr said is common Due to lack of food and sugar. As soon as I was allowed off Water I had a little apple juice and coffee but it only really improved when I got some IV dynastat. That is an anti inflammatory that is actually safe to use on surgery patients.

A lot of people find their pre-op diet (especially if on all liquids or 3 Meal Replacements a day) is the hardest of all eating stages for them. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have major issues, however I got to still have a meat and veggies dinner, and I spent the few months prior to my pre-op gradually phasing out sugar, caffeine and other processed carbs, so the diet change was far less dramatic for me than for many others and didn't trigger headaches. I also knew in advance that I get terrible headaches from MSG (including the 129 hidden forms of MSG), soy milk and aspartame so I made sure I had meal replacements without any of these ingredients.

Post op liquids stage can also be pretty harsh (some people remain hungry) but I was not very hungry at all, especially in the first week, and I was also using really tasty Soups I made with my own real slow-cooked rich chicken stock, so my soups had a lot of Gelatin and "substance" to them compared to tinned/packaged stuff and any physical hunger I had was fully satisfied by the soups (though I was mentally looking forward to more solid foods towards the end too hehe).

My surgery was yesterday. Today I'm back in the hotel and completely exhausted - I think 4 days now of no solid food + no caffeine is not helping! Pain isn't bad, just have to be very careful swinging my legs on and off the bed, etc. Tomorrow I go back for the barium swallow.

Good luck, everyone!