Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

Suggestions wanted!!

I am 4 days in my pre op diet and I’m craving so many foods. It’s torture. How long does this last? Has anyone experienced this? I even had a dream last night that I ate a donut and the surgery got cancelled.

I know how you are feeling! This is my 4th date and it is super hard. I just keep telling myself to get through it. Also, as some people have suggested, I am binge watching Netflix and Amazon prime shows. Helps the time go by.

HW: 321
CW: 278
GW: 180
Sleeve scheduled: 5/10/18

Remember your pen name-you are now ready for the new me! You won't need to write out your will, people don't and won't die from such a surgery,these days. Darlin' I'm 72 if anyone is going to have a chance of dying,it would be me not you! I'm not scared so you surely should NOT be. Surgery now, unlike the "Bad Old Days" which I am old enough to remember is like a stroll in the park. I have had multiple surgeries, since 2014 I have had 5 and my bariatric one still to go. So if anyone can give you testimony c'est moi!
Okay since you're still scared s***less, let's just relax a little. Now you've met your surgeon, I am going to assume a good he or she doctor. Surgeons, although they can act certainmy a little pushy at times, are very very smart doctors. Their pushiness is nothing more than educated bravery, you have to be brave to cut people open and sew them up again. Let's hope you've developed a level of friendship and trust. Okay this friend will,do their level best to be make sure you have a smooth safe surgery. You want it, they want it so you know it's going to happen just that way. Okay, the night before you may not sleep well, perfectly normal, your mind will be working overtime, happens to all of us.You are going to be NPO from midnight on, no drinkee, no eatee. What I have done and I bet you will too- I go around and kiss everyone while they sleep. Yes you are doing this surgery for YOU but also so you can be still here for them. You're a mom.,this is what you do. Get some rest, in the morning go to the hospital or clinic, put a smile on your face and tuck hope into your heart. You will meet a,lot of nurses and techs, everyone of them kind c and nice people. Change into a gown, go tinkle one more time, I always need to every time, curl up. on your bed, relax, keep that darn smile on your face. I worked in and on the edges of nursing for 25 years, yes they will still take care of you but a pleasant acting patient gets all the perks, those nurses appreciate it. They will come start an IV, they are super good at what they do, but if you have what I have, veins that "roll" gently warm them Once they had to use an " airplane" needle to keep mine secure. These are used normally in pediatrics for scalp veins on small kids, they have a little plate so they lay flat. But I'm diverting from my subject, aren't I? You may start to get sleepy now,but maybe you're still alert. Pretty soon you'll be rolling down the hall and off to your Date with Destiny. Now Operating Theatre are as a rule cold-ish. I accused my ortho one time of doing it deliberately. You may see your surgeon before you go to sleep, you may not. I've had it both ways. You may remember sliding over into the table, you may not. One of mine, I had a broken limb being surgically reduced, they told me to pull myself over, I responded that if I could do that, I wouldn't be there. Last thing I remember was them. stretching my arms to the side and securing them. I mention this because they may do that for you. Sometimes the anesthesiologist asks you to count backwards, often you're already going to sleep. Didn't mind my arms being secured, made me feel they were keeping,me safe.
And then you go smoothly to sleep, the next thing you remember is waking up,in recovery. Remember to ask for an anti nausea patch behind your ear, it does help. Your tummy may feel tender, but it may not. Everybody has a different story at this point. There will be a lot of techs and nurses scurrying around but right now you are the star and they'll take super good care of you. When you are recovered and stable enough you'll go back to your room, you may have an cathetet, you may not. If not get up, move around, go to the bathroom, you'll start on your walkies, sippies and still smile,as much,as possible. You've made it through and everything will get better day by day. And that my,love, is just how it's going to be! Feel a little less nervous? Goody! Now remember to post as soon as you feel like it, we love to be updated and we all will Celebrate with you. And when my Bariatric Day comes as it will in a month or so you'll be able to nod your head and say "I remember That!"
Hugs and a kiss on the cheek for the future. your friend Frust8

Hi Frustr8,
You mentioned you may get sleepy after they put the IV in, is that because they give you a medicine that calms you? I was given a Valium (or something) before I had jaw surgery, but there’s been no mention of anything like that for this surgery, though I would definitely take something to calm my nerves if they offer!

I'm right around the corner, next Thursday 5/03/18.

I’m 5/2!! Eeek! Our dates are coming! I’m trying to stay excited more than anxious, but I’m all over the place, really!

Oh I am sure you'll get something whether it's Valium, Ativan, Can as or another benzodiazepine family member. The best thing to do is tell them you're feeling a little tense,they'll either give you spill or put it in your IV. What I always loathed? They often give you a little,cup of sour nasty stuff to,drink, supposed to settle or make your stomachbsecretions less acid? Vile stuff, had before 85% of my surgeries, to me one of the unhappy memories. I even had it before baby# 3, although he was vaginal he was the size of a baby lumberjack, if they had to switch to C-section and a general I'd be less likely to vomit and aspirate. Remember to ask for the scope patch to go behind your ear, cuts down on nausea/vomiting and lasts maybe 3 days?
After my pancreatitis I made friends with Zofran, hadn't been that nauseated since pregnancy. Hey kid --you're going to do fine. wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. Think of it as a rite if passage, because it is, you will be remodeled internally,but like most remodels, you're going to been all shiny, more functional, instead of a open floor plan you'll be a sleek gastric, but that's cool. You'll not need a 50,000 mile overhaul, you'll be good to go.🚙🚗🚒🚘

1 hour ago, baribetty said:

I’m 5/2!! Eeek! Our dates are coming! I’m trying to stay excited more than anxious, but I’m all over the place, really!

I'm a little anxious but not too bad, that will probably worsen the day before but I know it'll be fine. I'm just ready to get it over with to be honest with you haha.

1 hour ago, baribetty said:

For some reason that first one put my message in with your quote and I couldn't correct it with editing, oh well I'm sure you still saw my message! Good Luck on the 2nd and Congratulations too!

Just was approved! Can't wait!
Any May sleevers want to support each other??
:))

My surgery is this Thursday, May 3rd. I’m very nervous but excited as well but i think my nerves are overshadowing my excitement. No one in my family knows and it helps that they live in another state but i have lots of support from friends and the support i get on this app helps too.

For some reason that first one put my message in with your quote and I couldn't correct it with editing, oh well I'm sure you still saw my message! Good Luck on the 2nd and Congratulations too!

Got it!
If you want to message me on 5/2 if you have any questions about the process, I will check if I’m feeling up to it :)

31 minutes ago, baribetty said:

Got it!
If you want to message me on 5/2 if you have any questions about the process, I will check if I’m feeling up to it :)

Sounds great, will do!

My surgery is on 5/15. I don’t have tons of requirements as I am a cash pay patient. My surgeon doesn’t require anything specific other than the day before, but I have been dieting for a month and am doing the pre-op diet most others do the 2 weeks beforehand. Want to shrink the fat around the liver for a safer surgery [emoji3]

13 minutes ago, maryk1729 said:

My surgery is on 5/15. I don’t have tons of requirements as I am a cash pay patient. My surgeon doesn’t require anything specific other than the day before, but I have been dieting for a month and am doing the pre-op diet most others do the 2 weeks beforehand. Want to shrink the fat around the liver for a safer surgery

Congratulations and smart move on your part!

My surgery date is May 16. So excited & scared! But also very hopeful

5/15 here as well as it gets closer I feel more nervous daily.

*hugz* Hang in there ladies and gentleman, we have almost made it to our MAY DAY surgical rescue. :65_mask:

My surgery is this Wednesday, 2nd May! (half a day ahead of the US here in Aussie land) and I hope to post as soon as I"m able to once I'm post-surgery (probably late 1st or very early 2nd May US time). Today is my last day for a while having solids, so I plan to REALLY enjoy my meat and veggies tonight. Tomorrow I have to do full fluids, then fasting from midnight Tuesday (but continuing with Water until I arrive at hospital 8:45).

My weight loss slowed down a bit last week so I won't be making my overly optimistic pre-op weight loss target of my husbands current weight (106kg) but I"m currently between 111 and 112 which I think is pretty good down from 119kg just over 2 weeks ago.

I have already shrunk out of most of my pants I was wearing, and today picked up a few last things at the shops (a sleep/eye mask, a size 20 pair of track pants with drawstring waist (which I could put on today but is still a little tight), and some warm fleecy PJs for the kids now that cool nights are finally setting in.

Oh, I also bought a little teacup and saucer set (which will be my soup/purees bowl and plate for a while) plus a couple of mini "dipping sauce" bowls that I think will hold about a third of a cup serving of soup/liquids.

I still need to make and freeze small portions of cauliflower Soup tonight.

Never seems to be enough time to get everything done! I did at least get the rest of my onion seeds and smaller garlic (to eat as garlic greens over winter) planted and deeply watered in yesterday, so my veggie patch should be ready to chug along on it's own until winter now.

I've also just realised that I'm having much less trouble swallowing my formulite Meal Replacement shakes at lunch, and that it is probably because it now tastes a lot more bland to me than it did initially (I assume my taste buds have adapted to it?? fingers crossed it goes down as easy post op once I hit full liquids).