Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craving a sandwich/wrap

I'm 6.5 weeks out from surgery, and I'm desperately craving a sandwich or wrap or something of the like. Just eating the cold cuts/cheese or chicken salad or whatever isn't cutting it.

I don't currently have any food restrictions from my team (I'm allowed to try whatever I want in small amounts), just whatever my body decides is a no-go, but it's already rejected 100% whole wheat toast, so I'm terrified what it would do with soft bread. Would a wheat or spinach tortilla be a better option? What about a FlatOut wrap (well, part of one, since they're large)?

I haven't tried any of the above yet because I'm leery of dumping again like I did after just two tiny bites of the toast, but I'm not sure if there's a better way to get over and/or satisfy the craving.

There is!! Look up either Revolutionary Rolls or their variant (my preferred choice) Oopsie Rolls on the Internet - I have made 1/2 doz whenever I crave a burger or sandwich - and it has perfectly hit the spot! With bacon and egg filling, or cheese and Tomato, or BLT.

Most of the recipes are really simple, 3-4 8ngredients. Our own fluffychix has a great but a bit more complex recipe here: http://fluffychixcook.com/basic-revolution-ary-rolls-low-carb-and-gluten-free/

Magic.

I've heard of cloud bread before (which this seems to be a variation on), but I'm leery because of them being egg-based, as I don't like the taste of eggs. Are the ones you make eggy-tasting, @FluffyChix?

Have you tried lettuce as a wrap alternative ? People seem to love it
Also in the early stages of post op I came up with a biscuit alternative made from home made oat flour and Protein Powder worked well as a burger bun
DM me if you want the recipe IMG_5031.JPG

27 minutes ago, istytehcrawk said:

I've heard of cloud bread before (which this seems to be a variation on), but I'm leery because of them being egg-based, as I don't like the taste of eggs. Are the ones you make eggy-tasting, @FluffyChix?

The first lot were a little, but I put in whole-grain mustard in the second and they were totally un-eggy!

Edited by biddynz

On 4/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, biddynz said:

The first lot were a little, but I put in whole-grain mustard in the second and they were totally un-eggy!

LOL, that was one of my original variations a million years ago on my Fluffy Chix Cook blog. LOL.

Very good! And helps knock the egg back. Also not letting them brown a lot will hold the egg taste down.

For wraps, the very easiest thing is to use a Flatout Light if you can get them. For 45 calories, and I think 3g net carbs, you can have 1/2 a wrap which I "think" you will only eat about 1/2 of it! So it will be even fewer cals and carbs!

If you want "sandwich bread, " Sara Lee makes a loaf that is 45 cals/slice and again, I think you would only eat either 1/4 of a sandwich or 1/2 of a sandwich. But make sure you toast the bread first!! Many people have issues with untoasted bread.

I haven't tried either of these things post surgery cuz am trying to keep carbs super low and not add these tasty bits until I'm in maintenance, so I don't know how they act in the new anatomy!

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

For wraps, the very easiest thing is to use a Flatout Light if you can get them. For 45 calories, and I think 3g net carbs, you can have 1/2 a wrap which I "think" you will only eat about 1/2 of it! So it will be even fewer cals and carbs!

If you want "sandwich bread," Sara Lee makes a loaf that is 45 cals/slice and again, I think you would only eat either 1/4 of a sandwich or 1/2 of a sandwich. But make sure you toast the bread first!! Many people have issues with untoasted bread.

I haven't tried either of these things post surgery cuz am trying to keep carbs super low and not add these tasty bits until I'm in maintenance, so I don't know how they act in the new anatomy!

I loved the Flat Out wraps before surgery, so I'll have to try them again and see how my stomach feels about them. My stomach didn't even like toasted 100%WW, so I'm avoiding bread at all for a while, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, istytehcrawk said:

I loved the Flat Out wraps before surgery, so I'll have to try them again and see how my stomach feels about them. My stomach didn't even like toasted 100%WW, so I'm avoiding bread at all for a while, unfortunately.

Make sure you do the Flatout Light ones. Huge diff in nutritionals. I just am not gonna try the bread for sure. I do use about 8g of a 28g carb sense tortilla, nuked on a paper towel until very crisp. I use it as a cracker. I cut it into cracker squares. :) I've done that a couple of times without issues.

Have you tried cut da carb wraps? They’re extremely thing and I believe less than 3g net carb per sheet/wrap! And I never use the whole wrap. You have to order them online and they last in the fridge and/or freezer

3 hours ago, Bryn910 said:

Have you tried cut da carb wraps? They’re extremely thing and I believe less than 3g net carb per sheet/wrap! And I never use the whole wrap. You have to order them online and they last in the fridge and/or freezer

Never heard of them, but at a quick look they're more expensive than I want to pay for something like that. Thanks for the tip, though!

I can't wait to be able to eat enough to make it worth it, but want to get jicama slices (they have them in a package here) to use for a fish taco soft taco. I loved them before surgery, but it isn't exactly economical to only eat 1/2 of one and have the rest of the package go bad before I can eat them all up. LOL.

It’s a gluten free bread recipe! [emoji7] I’m an unwilling gluten free person, and all of the recipes I’ve found to date at like 15+ weird ingredients.@fluffychix I kind of adore you right now!

Stopped by the store and picked up a pack of the FlatOut Light wraps. Am currently in the process of making my family's chicken salad (chicken breast + crushed pineapple + light mayo + chopped pecans) and can't WAIT to have it on the wrap (I loved to eat it that way before surgery). Hopefully the wrap cooperates with my stomach!

It turned out delicious, but I was only able to eat about 1/8 cup of it on about 1/6 of a FlatOut before I got full.

IMG_4813[1].JPG