Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! Noob here. :D

I'm about to book my VSG with Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC, but I'm not sure if I need to take a companion with me. I'm confident traveling alone to Tijuana and going through the procedure alone, that's not it - I'm mostly worried about post-op dealing with luggage (carry on or checking bags?) and energy level getting through the travel period home. I'm coming from NJ, so it's a good 5-6 hour flight back and I don't want to be alone and useless having to depend on strangers to lift bags, etc. How much weight were you allowed to lift after surgery? I'm assuming overhead bins are a stretch for so soon post-op. Have any of you had experience with this? I've read a post here or there that said other passengers were quite helpful to them, but I am super introverted and would prefer not to burden anyone.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by svsg

You will be fine alone. I went alone and did fine. I had a long flight home as well. Do you think you can get by with a carry on? I do suggest a heating pad for the night of surgery. What hospital will you be going to?

1 minute ago, Mississippi Girl said:

You will be fine alone. I went alone and did fine. I had a long flight home as well. Do you think you can get by with a carry on? I do suggest a heating pad for the night of surgery. What hospital will you be going to?

Thanks for replying! That's reassuring - I was thinking a super light carry on and hopefully the flight attendants will be nice enough to put it up for me. Even thinking about flying first class just for the extra wiggle room. I'm more anxious about the traveling than the actual surgery itself! lol I've decided to go with OCC in Tijuana.

I flew back alone too. I was tired and it was a long day but I made it fine. I had a carry on with wheels so I could pull it instead of carry it. Went from San Diego to Dallas.

I went alone and I was fine, too. Stuck the carryon in the overhead going to MX, checked it coming home. It was no problem pulling it off the baggage conveyer and I wheeled it to the car. You'll do great, I was just tired when I got home, no pain at all.

I’m going to OCC too. I’m scheduled for May 14th. I have a layover on the way back and I’m taking someone with me because I was worried about the travelling afterwards and the tiredness. My concern is what is allowed in our carry ons since we are on the liquid diet the day of travel and the nutrition team there specifies Vitaleph for the Protein.

Has anyone had issues getting through customs? I’m in Canada do it might be a bit different compared to the US

I had surgery on Wednesday (4/4/18) and flew home on Saturday (4/7/18) after I was discharged from the hospital. I flew on Southwest Airlines and everyone from the customer service representative at the counter to the in flight crew were AWESOME!! While at the counter, I explained that I was just discharged from the hospital after having a major surgery (still had my wristband on) and a wheelchair was immediately ordered for me. I was taken straight to the front of the TSA line, liquid medications and Water were checked, and that was it. When I got on board the aircraft there was a "big" front seat with a sign that said "do not occupy" just for me. The flight attendant placed my carry-on the overhead compartment and all I had to do was sit back and enjoy the flight home.

Travelling alone was my biggest fear, but everything went smooth. If you do decide on travelling alone, I think you'll be fine. Good luck.