Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG on 4/16/18: My journey

Congratulations!

I am definitely feeling pretty good but I really want some real food. [emoji3][emoji3]

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG: 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

So I leave on Sunday for work and will not be home until Thursday evening. The following Sunday, I do it all over again. I am trying to figure out how to do the puréed stage when I am living out of a hotel. I am thinking a Protein Shake for Breakfast, and perhaps egg whites or puréed chili for dinner. Luckily there is a Cracker Barrel and Chili’s right by my hotel, so those might work. I traveled for work a few weeks before my surgery and stayed at the same hotel, and luckily my room had a microwave and fridge. There is no guarantee that my room this time will, so I might call them tomorrow so they can let me know. Considering I am there for 4 nights, that would be so much easier than a cooler. There are a lot of foods I could bring that I could prepare, especially using my little hand mixer.

Anyhow, other than that, I am trying to make it two more days on full liquids. I feel ready for the puréed stage and will be starting two days early. I want to test a few foods before traveling for work. My surgeon said it was ok too, since he keeps us on 3 weeks of liquids and not 2 like many other programs.

Outside of work, I am so ready to get back into the weight room. I have a lot of anxiety about losing muscle right now, but I know I need to wait three more weeks. I miss it! [emoji123][emoji123][emoji123]

BMI: 37

I am currently living out of a hotel and I am bored to death. I miss my baby girl and boyfriend, and I am ready to be home with them. Anyhow, the puréed stage is going really well. I’ve had applesauce, oatmeal and puréed chicken tortilla Soup. My surgeon said that he has never heard or seen of a leak after four weeks, so I hit my four weeks next Monday. I have so much anxiety about that, and I know that there are people on here that had later leaks, but I feel like 4 weeks is a good time to stop worrying so much.

Outside of that, I did have my first instance of eating too fast. I came up to my hotel room and ordered chicken tortilla Soup. It was so good and I ate too fast. Luckily I didn’t eat too much, but I was miserable for a good half hour.

Another thing is that I am surprised at how little of an appetite I actually have. I have not been hungry since having the soup (at 2:30), and it is 10:30 now. I just forced myself to have a little applesauce because I am getting so few calories. I can’t do Protein Shakes anymore so I have been depending on GENEPRO this week. I am going to buy some syntrex nectar next week and give that a try.

Starting BMI: 37

Starting Weight: 241

Surgery Weight: 229

Current Weight: 213 (17 days post op)

I am now 35 days out and I have been on soft foods for a week. I am weighing in at 207, so that is a 22 pound loss in 5 week. The weight is definitely coming off slower but I am ok with that. I have had no issues with foods except for milk and has really made the journey a lot easier. I am going to start back at the gym tomorrow so I am excited about that. [emoji123]

Starting BMI: 37
Starting Weight: 241
Surgery Weight: 229
Current Weight: 213 (17 days post op)

How are you doing, Texas Mommy? I'm new to the forum and had VGS on 4/12/18, 4 days before you (in Minnesota). This is my first time posting, so I don't know if my statistics will just post on the side automatically or not. If not, I'll come back and fill you in on those details. I'm down 52.5 pounds and feeling fabulous. I love how much easier it is to do everything and how much more energy I have. I was cleared at one month to return to all exercise, so that's been nice. Today I went to yoga for the first time in maybe 3 years. It is a whole lot easier with so much less bulk! I've been buying new clothes, but trying to get as much as possible at thrift stores due to my assumption that I'll need a different set in not too long. I am amazed you were able to return to work so quickly! I was home 3 weeks, and even then, I was very tired afterwards the first 3 weeks. I just noticed about a week or so ago that my energy doesn't hit a wall around 9:30pm any more which is nice. I am probably overly focused on knowing where I'll end up in terms of weight loss, and trying to be okay with where I land as long as I've followed the eating plan and exercise recommendations. It's all fabulous compared to where I started, that's for sure.

Hi! Congrats on the 50 pound weight loss, that is amazing! I feel really good too and I am so glad I did this. I have run into a really long stall though. Four days ago I weighed in at 204 and then the last few mornings I’ve bounced between 204 and 206. This stall is running a good 3 weeks now, so I think it’s time to change a few things. I have recently started working out at the gym again so I am going to increase my calories. I was eating around 600-700, and that includes one Protein Shake. Our office wants us eating more, so I increased it to 900 the past few days. With working out like I do, I know need to increase it even a bit more. I am hoping that once I do that, I will see the scale start moving again.

I hope that works for you to get it moving again. How often do you have follow up with your clinic? I'm a.little miffed that my program calls for.monthly check-in, but due to not having enough dietitians, it will be every other month. I'm going to call soon to.get scheduled for the 4 month or I will be going a 2 month span again. It seems the dietitian always has some valuable tips and pointers.

Small NSV: I have never been able to wear this tank that I got as a gift from my boyfriend, because my belly was too big. It doesn’t fit perfectly yet, but I will be able to wear it to the gym by football season!

image-0.00488758087158203.jpg

We go to the clinic every three months and then yearly after the first year. If I don’t get my weight to start dropping again, I may need to go sooner.

@TexasMommy80 Love the updates! I just happen to click on your story in the forum! Congrats on your surgery and your weight loss success. I will receive my surgery date this Thursday with my surgeon, Dr. Boorse (for my VSG revision.)

I can vouch about the Syntrax Nectar. When I had my first VSG in 2012, my sister n law recommended I try the sample packs and see which ones I liked and then order the big barrel of my favs. There are lots of fruity ones like crystal lite or kool-aid and packed with Protein.

Great to read, you are doing so well!

I love reading your story. Thank you for sharing. You look great in your tank top too.

I am now 2.5 months out and a stomach bug hit our family. My daughter had it first, and it lasted a full four days. I thought I would make it out without getting sick, but nope. Ya’ll, it was terrible. It was a full four days of not being able to eat or drink anything, nonstop vomiting or heaving, and watery diarrhea that was even worse (TMI). I honestly think it was the most sick I have ever been, considering how long it lasted. I started getting really weak and dizzy on Sunday so I had my mom take me to the ER while my boyfriend watched the kids. I was super dehydrated, which was no surprise. The doctor said that I was lucky that I did not pass out at home. My blood pressure was down to 109/60 and my heart rate when standing was 125. My normal blood pressure is usually a bit lower than 120/80, and my heart rate is usually in the 70s when standing. Anyhow, two bags of fluids later, and after my blood pressure went up a bit, they released me to go home. I feel better today but I am still somewhat nauseous and unable to eat or drink much. I luckily managed to get about 400 calories in today and about 40oz of Water, but my stomach just can’t handle much right now. I think I will be pretty close to normal by tomorrow, so my goal tomorrow is to just drink all day.

Anyhow, I weighed in this morning at 198, but won’t take an official weight until I have been better for a few days.

Today I am still weighing in at 197 but I have definitely lost inches. I noticed that my workout clothes were becoming too big, so I made a trip to Walmart. I have always carried my weight in my lower body so I was wearing an 18 before surgery, and I was able to buy a 12/14 in workout capris. They are a tad tight, but the larger size was almost too big. I figure that as lose even 10 more pounds, the pants will fit perfectly. As for shirts, I easily fit into a medium again. It has been so long since I was able to wear that size...I just wish my lower body lost inches as fast as my upper body, LoL.

As for exercise, I really want to start jogging again. I had a total knee replacement at 36 though, and I have had some complications. I need larger spacers placed into my replacement, but I just can't stomach the thought of surgery again. It is nothing that needs to be done right now, and I am trying to build more muscle to see if I can counteract it in any way. The weight loss so far has really helped with the knee pain, so I am interested to see how I feel in the next few months. For now, it is the elliptical and weight room.

Before and afters...32 lbs down. (3 months post VSG)Screenshot_20180709-181435.jpeg 20180709_180752.jpeg 20180709_180848.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app