Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG on 4/16/18: My journey

Well, it all went well. I have five incisions and I’m sore, but not in terrible pain (some incisions in photo are from gallbladder removal in December). I am so thirsty though, it’s the worst because I am used to sipping all day. They did give me lemon flavored swabs but yuck, lol! One was enough, for sure.

The gas hasn’t been nearly as bad as having my gallbladder out, but let me knock on wood real quick. LoL

IMG_1120.JPG

Height: 5’6

BMI: 37

VSG scheduled for 4/16/18

GW: 160

MFP: Fit4LifeAR

Proud of you ---Texas Mommy! Living proof that ---'Nobody better Mess with Texas. They may have wounded you slightly but YOU ☑will win the WAR!🚀🌇

So I am home now, and feeling pretty sore. I have been too scared to take the pain meds they sent me home with, because I am afraid of throwing up, but I decided to take a dose tonight. Luckily my doc also gave me pills for nausea, so I am hoping that will help.

Sipping is pretty painful right now, so I hope that doesn’t last too long. Tomorrow morning I will try and get a Protein Shake down, and as much Water as possible. Ideally I would like to get two Protein Shakes in, but I’m not sure that will happen yet.

I went to my daughters tball game tonight, so that was fun, but I am exhausted. I go back to work tomorrow already, but I work from home so I can take breaks as needed. I may end up taking a half day, but I teach Seniors at a virtual high school and I feel terrible being out of pocket for so long.

[emoji310][emoji310][emoji310]

I am now 4 days out and struggling to get my Water and Protein in. I can’t handle the taste of the powdered protein, it makes me gag. I was able to get 40 oz of water yesterday but only half of a Protein Shake. Today I’ve had one protein shake and hope to have close to 60 ounces of water. Each day will get better, and I know I will feel so much better when I can have a premade shake on Monday. They don’t have the aftertaste like the powdered ones do. My doc really wants us to focus on water this week though, and says that we have enough of a store to last one week, if we can’t get the protein down this week. I’m just doing what I can at this point.

Also, TMI, but I’ve had watery bowel movements yesterday and today. That has been less than pleasant. LoL

Day 5: I am weak and it’s a pain in the booty. I hope I have more energy in the full liquid phase.

I pain isn’t too bad, I’ve only taken the pain medicine at night to help sleep. I am down 10 pounds already, so that is cool. I’ve also noticed that I can’t handle even the thought of certain foods. For example, all of the broth I made is still sitting in my freezer, and won’t be coming out anytime soon. Yuck!

For now I sip, sip, sip. Lord help me make it to Monday and the full liquid phase.

Day 5: I am weak and it’s a pain in the booty. I hope I have more energy in the full liquid phase.

I pain isn’t too bad, I’ve only taken the pain medicine at night to help sleep. I am down 10 pounds already, so that is cool. I’ve also noticed that I can’t handle even the thought of certain foods. For example, all of the broth I made is still sitting in my freezer, and won’t be coming out anytime soon. Yuck!

For now I sip, sip, sip. Lord help me make it to Monday and the full liquid phase.

I had my gastric bypass on 4/16 as well. My roughest obstacle has been the muscle stitch and trying to get out of bed or a deep chair. Coughing was agony! But today, 4/21 is much much better. I walked and walked and walked and I think that it helped me progress.

I did not take any prescribed pain medication either. I am a recovering alcoholic (3yrs[emoji5]) and in rehab they caution against any addictive substances so I declined. I did take adult liquid Tylenol when I got home Wednesday night and Thursday through the day. Yesterday I walked through the pain and feel so great today

I have not had any issues with getting liquids down, it just takes forever[emoji13]. I have had lots of (TMI ALERT) watery dark bowel movements. The Dr. office said to call if they look like tar. They don’t so I’m not worried about it.

One last comment, I have experienced a huge change in my energy. I was always so tired every morning before I had surgery, and was expecting to be very tired while recovering. The opposite is true. I find that I have lots of energy! This is good and bad....... we are getting possession of another home we purchased tomorrow and there are sooooo many things that need to be done, and I cannot do any of it. I want to, and feel like I can, but I know I am asking for a surgery if I start lifting or moving.

We had our procedures done on the same day and I will look for your posts to see how you are coming along and cheer on your successes. Good luck!

My weight day before surgery was 245. I am 5’7. I am not going to weigh myself until Monday. 1 week out. I know I could get crazy watching the scale and a don’t want to get fixated on numbers.

I had my gastric bypass on 4/16 as well. My roughest obstacle has been the muscle stitch and trying to get out of bed or a deep chair. Coughing was agony! But today, 4/21 is much much better. I walked and walked and walked and I think that it helped me progress.

I did not take any prescribed pain medication either. I am a recovering alcoholic (3yrs[emoji5]) and in rehab they caution against any addictive substances so I declined. I did take adult liquid Tylenol when I got home Wednesday night and Thursday through the day. Yesterday I walked through the pain and feel so great today

I have not had any issues with getting liquids down, it just takes forever[emoji13]. I have had lots of (TMI ALERT) watery dark bowel movements. The Dr. office said to call if they look like tar. They don’t so I’m not worried about it.

One last comment, I have experienced a huge change in my energy. I was always so tired every morning before I had surgery, and was expecting to be very tired while recovering. The opposite is true. I find that I have lots of energy! This is good and bad....... we are getting possession of another home we purchased tomorrow and there are sooooo many things that need to be done, and I cannot do any of it. I want to, and feel like I can, but I know I am asking for a surgery if I start lifting or moving.

We had our procedures done on the same day and I will look for your posts to see how you are coming along and cheer on your successes. Good luck!

My weight day before surgery was 245. I am 5’7. I am not going to weigh myself until Monday. 1 week out. I know I could get crazy watching the scale and a don’t want to get fixated on numbers.

It’s so good to hear from someone who had surgery on the same day. I actually feel a little better today, and the pain has definitely subsided. I broke down and had a Protein Shake this morning, and I feel like that was super beneficial. I don’t feel as shaky or weak, and even though I am supposed to wait until Monday, I think I needed it. I don’t want to push it too much though, so I will focus on clear Proteins for the rest of the day.

It’s so odd how my tastes have changed. The thought of broth still sends me over the edge, lol. I just can’t do it. I will stick with crystal light and popsicles for now. I am definitely ready for Monday though.

VSG: 4/16/18

Day 7 after VSG:

I weighed in this morning at 217, with a starting weight of 241 in December and a surgery weight of 229. This clear liquid phase is no joke.

I’ve had moments of regret, only to pop out of it and remind myself that everyone feels like this and it gets better. Plus, I can start full liquids tomorrow and I think that will help with energy.

Two of my five incisions are pretty sore still, but I don’t feel the other three. I’m also not taking any meds except the pain killer at night. I am a side sleeper, so that is helping me since I have to sleep on my back.

Oddly enough, the smell of food seems to help me right now too. I might be the only one that feels that way, lol. In a sense, it makes me feel like I have eaten something. I am pretty weird, as I type that out. LoL

Just sat down to check in and this is exactly what I needed to hear.

‘I have been struggling today. I feel so lethargic and get light headed when I stand up. I do not feel like walking. Then I started to get weepy. I have had my fluids on cue and met my Protein so I was starting to panic. But then I figured it out. It is my meds. I only take 2. 1 am/pm and the other only am. I have been trying to crush them and gag them down, but it just doesn’t end up well. They are sooooo bitter it makes me shudder, but I can’t drink them in 1 gulp because then it gets backed up in my chest. So you have to keep sipping on the awful stuff. Part of the pill residue gets stuck to the little cups so I kept swishing more liquid and drinking again.

I have knowingly and unknowingly forgotten to take them, but I figured if they didn’t think it was imperative that I have them in the hospital the first few days missing a dose here and there wouldn’t be an issue. Wrong. I need to get through the liquid phase My girlfriend told me putting them in applesauce is so much better

I do not think you are weird for smelling food and liking it The exact same thing happened to me today . We went to a diner for Breakfast and it was ridiculous how good it smelled in there My husband kept apologizing for eat9ng and I told him it doesn’t bother me I had no desire to eat, and wasn’t hungry I explained it to him that it was like a nice smelling candle...of breakfast food. it was weirdly satisfying

i am going to weigh myself for the first time tomorrow morning I am super nervous that there won’t be much of a loss and I will be totally disappointed. Everything everyone tells me says I will be amazed but I have tried for so long, so many ways to lose weight that I am afraid to believe in it Fingers crossed

Just sat down to check in and this is exactly what I needed to hear.
‘I have been struggling today. I feel so lethargic and get light headed when I stand up. I do not feel like walking. Then I started to get weepy. I have had my fluids on cue and met my Protein so I was starting to panic. But then I figured it out. It is my meds. I only take 2. 1 am/pm and the other only am. I have been trying to crush them and gag them down, but it just doesn’t end up well. They are sooooo bitter it makes me shudder, but I can’t drink them in 1 gulp because then it gets backed up in my chest. So you have to keep sipping on the awful stuff. Part of the pill residue gets stuck to the little cups so I kept swishing more liquid and drinking again.
I have knowingly and unknowingly forgotten to take them, but I figured if they didn’t think it was imperative that I have them in the hospital the first few days missing a dose here and there wouldn’t be an issue. Wrong. I need to get through the liquid phase My girlfriend told me putting them in applesauce is so much better
I do not think you are weird for smelling food and liking it The exact same thing happened to me today . We went to a diner for Breakfast and it was ridiculous how good it smelled in there My husband kept apologizing for eat9ng and I told him it doesn’t bother me I had no desire to eat, and wasn’t hungry I explained it to him that it was like a nice smelling candle...of breakfast food. it was weirdly satisfying
i am going to weigh myself for the first time tomorrow morning I am super nervous that there won’t be much of a loss and I will be totally disappointed. Everything everyone tells me says I will be amazed but I have tried for so long, so many ways to lose weight that I am afraid to believe in it Fingers crossed

I haven’t even tried to take my Vitamins, but I hope to start tomorrow. I took them the night before my VSG and hey made me nauseous because it was on an empty stomach, and I am terrified of throwing up now. Wish me luck tomorrow...

Luck wished!

Drum roll………

4/16/18 day of surgery 245

4/23/18 1 week out 230

my brain is not grasping this yet

i figured out how to get my meds down though, I mix them with a caramel flavored Protein Shake much more tolerable than with just flavored water hopefully I will not be as weepy when I get back up to my regular dosing

are you taking all of the bariatic Vitamins now? My doctor told me to just take the multi Vitamin for the first 6 weeks the Flinstones with Iron chewable no big deal at all I don’t even have to crush it, he said I could chew it

@Scornet 1, I want to feel you did at first, strong and ready to face the world after surgery. Alas I will probably feel like most of the others, the survivor of a gang war, grateful to have escaped with my life, and the fabled 5-7 slashs on my my lily white tum-tum, whit because it hasn't seen sunlight since I was small enough for a 2 piece swimsuit. Oh girls it's going to happen,until then I'll read yours and TexasMommy's stories, sniffle and sniff a little and say "That's going to be ME soon!" Hugs to both of you,this fine AM😜❤😜

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, TexasMommy80 said:

I am now 4 days out and struggling to get my Water and Protein in. I can’t handle the taste of the powdered Protein, it makes me gag. I was able to get 40 oz of Water yesterday but only half of a Protein Shake. Today I’ve had one protein shake and hope to have close to 60 ounces of water. Each day will get better, and I know I will feel so much better when I can have a premade shake on Monday. They don’t have the aftertaste like the powdered ones do. My doc really wants us to focus on water this week though, and says that we have enough of a store to last one week, if we can’t get the protein down this week. I’m just doing what I can at this point.

Also, TMI, but I’ve had watery bowel movements yesterday and today. That has been less than pleasant. LoL

I had surgery on 4/12. (sleeve and hernia repair) Have you tried the Premier Protein shakes? You can buy them at Sam's, Walmart etc. They are really good. I don't think I could do the powder. I had a Carnation Breakfast (light no added sugar) this morning mixed in skim milk and it was nasty. I feel pretty good other than I am tired. I went back to work on 4/16. Bowel movements are a whole other story for me.

Drum roll………
4/16/18 day of surgery 245
4/23/18 1 week out 230
my brain is not grasping this yet
i figured out how to get my meds down though, I mix them with a caramel flavored Protein Shake much more tolerable than with just flavored water hopefully I will not be as weepy when I get back up to my regular dosing
are you taking all of the bariatic Vitamins now? My doctor told me to just take the multi Vitamin for the first 6 weeks the Flinstones with Iron chewable no big deal at all I don’t even have to crush it, he said I could chew it

Awesome!! That is great....and it is just starting. [emoji3][emoji123]🤛