Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help plz. Beginning 6 math diet

Good morning everyone!!! I just went to my first appointment last week. Doc advised me to start a 6 month diet. I haven't met the nutritionist yet. Just wondering what did you eat? How was it? Any advice on what I should be doing? Thanks in advance!!

Give up sodas & empty carbohydrate calories, cut down on coffee and other caffeine drinks until they are gone. More vegetables, especially green and yellow ones. Lower red meats, go to fish and lean fowl. Add Beans, good Fiber there and there are many varieties of them. Exercise more, even if you start with walks around the house, then around the block and neighborhood, work yourself up to the gym, if you go there now, you might get discouraged looking around at everybody else looking fit and trim. They may have once have been in your shoes and worked themselves up to there[emoji14] Most important believe in yourself, you are good, worthwhile, this is a project you will gain so much from , a longer healthier fitter life, less shortness of breath, more able to fit into the good things in life. Go for it, it is within your grasp if you really try! And you have a built in cheering squad in all of your Bariatric Pals![emoji14][emoji626][emoji14]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Give up sodas & empty carbohydrate calories, cut down on coffee and other caffeine drinks until they are gone. More vegetables, especially green and yellow ones. Lower red meats, go to fish and lean fowl. Add Beans, good Fiber there and there are many varieties of them. Exercise more, even if you start with walks around the house, then around the block and neighborhood, work yourself up to the gym, if you go there now, you might get discouraged looking around at everybody else looking fit and trim. They may have once have been in your shoes and worked themselves up to there[emoji14] Most important believe in yourself, you are good, worthwhile, this is a project you will gain so much from , a longer healthier fitter life, less shortness of breath, more able to fit into the good things in life. Go for it, it is within your grasp if you really try! And you have a built in cheering squad in all of your Bariatric Pals![emoji14][emoji626][emoji14]

On my first appointment the Doc said aim for 60 grams Protein a day. Good luck. I am 4 month into the 6 month pre op diet. Down 18 pounds. :)

Your nutritionist will probably lay out a detailed plan that not only gives you some practical meal planning advice, but some tricks that may or not work in helping you feel fuller (like chewing 20 times before swallowing). At the end of the day losing weight on a diet mean burning more calories in a day than you consume. In general this means targeting a caloric intake that is 9-10 times your body weight. As other folks have said get as much lean Proteins as you can because they will fill you up. Now is also a good time to start on a Multi-Vitamin if you aren't on one already. I would also recommend giving up calculus, because integrating by parts is overrated.

1 hour ago, gbjourney6 said:

Beginning 6 math diet

@gbjourney6

gotta love those typos:lol::D

OP above ^^ have given good advice

you must also drink 64+ oz water/liquids daily. you are not allowed

to drink while you eat. you must wait 30 - 60 minutes after you eat, before

you can drink. NUT will give you her specific time period to wait. Water rules

are very important. Practice makes perfect. "Do or Do Not, There is No Try"!!

good luck

kathy

5 hours ago, frust8 said:

10x my weight, OMG that works out to 3230 calories! Eating that I'd be big enough for my own ZIP code, no maybe more the size of Australia. Let's cut me back to 1000 or less, okay?

My bad you are right, it all depends on a number of factors and I was assuming a bunch of them for this answer and not taking into account the fact that the OP could be older. They should use a TDEE Calculator (just google that term) to do a better calculation on their total calorie requirements and then target their consumption to be 20-30% less than that number.

Thank you all for the advice. I was trying to spell mth but my phone decided to autocorrect. Lol!!! I am going to set an appointment up with the nutrients for more info.

My doc recommended about 1250 calories a day. I’m 5’4 Hw 257 Cw 239 just finished my 3 month 3 to go before first appointment with surgeon.

My docs don't have calorie requirements but for my program it is 70-100 grams of Protein and 64oz of Water or things like Crystal light and less than 50 grams of net carbs a day no drinking during or 30 minutes after meals

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for this post! I'm seeing surgeon for first consultation in 2 weeks, and assume I'll start the required 6 month diet shortly after that. My ins co requires it. I'm hoping this journey moves along at a good pace. This forum has been so helpful!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Did/do any of you have a min requirement of weight to lose before submitting to insurance?

•5’6
•Beginning W/378
•CW/268
•GW/140
•Surgery date is still unknown
•RNY
•From CT

Hi. 1Mila, I'm from CT, too. Just starting this journey, so can't answer your question but wanted to say hi.

@1Mila
I just started my 6 month program on May 8th. My doctor is requiring I lose 10% of the total body weight I want to lose after getting the surgery. So my goal is to lose 120lbs after getting VSG, so that is 12 lbs he wants me to lose over the 6 months.
Here are my stats:
•32 (2 months to 33)
•5’11
•CW-291
•GW-170 to180

I did lean meat (chicken or fish) and vegetables, mainly broccoli and brussel sprouts in my case. I would give myself a few mild cheat days, but I stuck to the diet hard on weeks I had to go weigh in with the surgeon or nutritionist. You *do not* want to show weight gain during those twice/month weigh-ins.

I lost about 35 pounds without too much difficulty. Now I'm on the pre-op liquid diet. That really sucks.