Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year post op, 110lbs down so far ASK ME ANYTHING

Hey everybody,

As of next week I'll be 1 year post-op, I'm still losing (currently in a 2 week stall but this has been the case every month then I drop in the next 2 weeks)

Open to answer any pre or post op/general life change questions that you may have :)

Hello! The questions I have...

1. At a year out, what does your diet look like?
    1. Do you find your diet is still restricted as to certain foods? Do you still drink Protein Shakes?
  2. What about your exercise routine?
  3. Did you do anything special to minimize the possibility of excess skin?
  4. How do you feel?

Congrats on the amazing weight loss, it's truly inspirational! I hope you are living the life you wanted and DESERVE :)

1. Do you find your diet is still restricted as to certain foods? Do you still drink Protein Shakes?
  4. How do you feel?
Congrats on the amazing weight loss, it's truly inspirational! I hope you are living the life you wanted and DESERVE [emoji4]

Following answers

4. How do you feel?
Congrats on the amazing weight loss, it's truly inspirational! I hope you are living the life you wanted and DESERVE [emoji4]

Hi [emoji5]

Diet: I'm vegetarian (been like this for 14 years) so tend to get most of my Protein from cheese yoghurt and Beans. I rememeber at 2 weeks out I created a spreadsheet and I had the most detailed plans of how many grams of protein, carbs and fat I would eat each day. Then I went back to real life and realised how unrealistic that really is. Well, it is in my life and will be for anybody else whose life is hectic. The truth is that the best diet is the one that uses instinct. I damn well know if I have eaten too many carbs and not enough protein during a day without needing to check a spreadsheet. It's just about using common sense to eat in a healthy and balanced manner but don't spend a week beating yourself up if there's a not so balanced day in there - everyday is a chance for a fresh start.

Food restrictions: For some reason to this day I cannot eat Pasta or potato (unless it's in the form of chips/crisps) without throwing up an hour later so I just stay away from them as if I'm allergic now. But I think that this is specific to me as others I speak to have been eating these since 2 weeks post op. Rice tends to not cause any issues. Have recently reintroduced bread, but like 2 slices a week. My sleeve definitely still works, I very rarely even eat meals as I do not like the bloated feeling after 2 bites. Small snack size foods throughout the day has become my thing with no meals

Shakes: Eurgh shakes! Where do I start. In the UK I have yet to find a single Protein Shake that tastes good. I literally wasted well over £100 trying out different shakes in the first 3 months post op. I even tried protein Water (Brand: Decibel if you wanna try)! THAT SUCKS AS WELL GUYS. I stick to protein from normal food now and I'm much happier for it

Exercise: I like to use cardio so running, cycling and rowing machines are my thing as they are good for burning fat. Start off 2 days a week and build up from there, the more weight we lose the easier working out becomes. So dont try to jump into intense workouts that would suit you best say 8 months down the line instead. In terms of exercise I would say to trust the process, the time flies by!

Loose skin: Weights will be good to prevent loose skin, I've been lucky and dont really have too much loose skin but I know that I want plastics in the future (saggy boobs lol) anyway so will find a way to get rid of it if there is any.

Feelings: Honestly I feel great. I cannot believe that a whole year has zoomed by. It's the little things like walking to the train station, I'm no longer sweating or out of breath, my clothes fit better (until they get too loose, try to buy a couple pieces you can wear for the year btw as you lose, don't get a new wardrobe till you stop losing no matter how tempting it's a waste of money) and I generally have more confidence. I think we don't even realise how much our weight dictates all of the tiny choices that we make for things throughout the day until it is gone.

One thing I can't stress enough is that we will all have our own journey through this thing, our bodies are unique and will react to the surgery in such a manner.

Thankfully forums like these allow us to share our experiences and provide info/support to one another but remember to never let anybody judge you or the choices you make as you go through this (this is much more a mental journey than physical) or feel that your journey/process through this experience is inferior to somebody else's because you have different methods to them or you lose weight at a different speed/pattern.

All in all I would do this entire year again in a heartbeat if I had to choose this surgery

As I'm internet shoe-shopping right now--has your shoe size changed as you have lost so much weight?

Yes! Same as Sleeveforme2017

I have gone down a shoe size, always thought I had no fat in my feet.....guess I was deluded lool

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey everybody,
As of next week I'll be 1 year post-op, I'm still losing (currently in a 2 week stall but this has been the case every month then I drop in the next 2 weeks)
Open to answer any pre or post op/general life change questions that you may have [emoji4]

Any major Hair loss / issues?

3 hours ago, Tealael said:

So there is hope!

Oh for sure

I heard so many horror stories pre-op I thought that Hair loss was a definite but 1 year on and just last week I was looking at my edges thinking how thick they are so it really is a person by person thing don't fret

On 3/31/2018 at 2:03 PM, Kay07 said:

4. How do you feel?

Congrats on the amazing weight loss, it's truly inspirational! I hope you are living the life you wanted and DESERVE :)

Adding to this - not trying to steal anyone's thunder - I'm about 20 months out, down about 110. Sometimes, I'm losing, sometimes not, because my concentration right now is on building muscle mass and reducing my overall body fat before plastics.

I'm answering because I'm not vegetarian in the hopes that I can provide other answers -

1- On an average day, I eat about 100-120 grams of Protein. I start most mornings with a shake because it is easy for me time wise to get out the door to work. I use Fairlife skim milk, a scoop of Protein Powder, a handful of frozen fruit and two tablespoons of Oikos triple zero vanilla yogurt. That accounts for 39 grams of protein and makes it pretty easy to get the rest in.

For a morning snack, I'll have a container of Oikos Triple Zero (another 15 grams). lunch is usually salad greens with chicken (usually left over from one I've roasted) about 4 ounces of chicken for another 30 grams of protein. So at this point in the day, I'm at 85 grams without too much trouble.

In the afternoon, I'll have some cheese or some nuts - but I'll get in a 10-15 gram of protein snack.

dinner - is usually whatever I cook for the family - but again - I'll make sure I have another 20-30 grams of protein.

Usually my calorie count is under 1500. I eat what I want. Some foods, my tummy doesn't like. I can only eat a little bit of Pasta or I will feel ill - same with very sweet stuff. A few bites and I'm done with it. I have a cocktail or glass of wine when I want to. I always stay under 1500 calories - so if I dont' have extra calories for a glass of vino it doesn't happen. I drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day - closer to 100 on days I fence because I will drink a quart of water while fencing.

Exercise - I fence (as in en garde) - started doing that a year ago. I burn on average 900 calories doing 2 hours of fencing. I fence roughly 5 hours a week (Monday and Wednesday - 6:30-9 pm). I work with a personal trainer once a month to keep my routine in the gym fresh and I lift weights/do strength training at least 2 hours a week. I do Pilates for another 1 or 2 hours. I make the time because getting in shape is important - and like I said - I''m trying to drop my body fat in the range of 28% before I have plastics. (I"m at 31% right now, with is pretty good for a 56 year old menopausal woman!)

Excess skin - for me - I couldn't. I have bat wings that make noise and I'm going to have to have a Tummy Tuck done. If not for the excess skin on my abdomen, I'd be wearing a size 6 or 4 pants rather than the 8 I'm wearing. (I really shouldn't complain - that's down from a 24). I'll probably have the abdominoplasty next year. I'm fortunate - my insurance will cover it.

How do I feel - Like a new person. People don't recognize me sometimes. My knees don't really hurt any more. My only regret was waiting this long to do this.

Thank you both so much! I am gluten-free, so seeing multiple options is great for me! How long post surgery did it take you to establish an exercise routine? Additionally, did you find yourself very low energy during the bouts of intense weight loss?

Hi [emoji5]

Diet: I'm vegetarian (been like this for 14 years) so tend to get most of my Protein from cheese yoghurt and Beans. I rememeber at 2 weeks out I created a spreadsheet and I had the most detailed plans of how many grams of protein, carbs and fat I would eat each day. Then I went back to real life and realised how unrealistic that really is. Well, it is in my life and will be for anybody else whose life is hectic. The truth is that the best diet is the one that uses instinct. I damn well know if I have eaten too many carbs and not enough protein during a day without needing to check a spreadsheet. It's just about using common sense to eat in a healthy and balanced manner but don't spend a week beating yourself up if there's a not so balanced day in there - everyday is a chance for a fresh start.

Food restrictions: For some reason to this day I cannot eat Pasta or potato (unless it's in the form of chips/crisps) without throwing up an hour later so I just stay away from them as if I'm allergic now. But I think that this is specific to me as others I speak to have been eating these since 2 weeks post op. Rice tends to not cause any issues. Have recently reintroduced bread, but like 2 slices a week. My sleeve definitely still works, I very rarely even eat meals as I do not like the bloated feeling after 2 bites. Small snack size foods throughout the day has become my thing with no meals

Shakes: Eurgh shakes! Where do I start. In the UK I have yet to find a single Protein Shake that tastes good. I literally wasted well over £100 trying out different shakes in the first 3 months post op. I even tried protein Water (Brand: Decibel if you wanna try)! THAT SUCKS AS WELL GUYS. I stick to protein from normal food now and I'm much happier for it

Exercise: I like to use cardio so running, cycling and rowing machines are my thing as they are good for burning fat. Start off 2 days a week and build up from there, the more weight we lose the easier working out becomes. So dont try to jump into intense workouts that would suit you best say 8 months down the line instead. In terms of exercise I would say to trust the process, the time flies by!

Loose skin: Weights will be good to prevent loose skin, I've been lucky and dont really have too much loose skin but I know that I want plastics in the future (saggy boobs lol) anyway so will find a way to get rid of it if there is any.

Feelings: Honestly I feel great. I cannot believe that a whole year has zoomed by. It's the little things like walking to the train station, I'm no longer sweating or out of breath, my clothes fit better (until they get too loose, try to buy a couple pieces you can wear for the year btw as you lose, don't get a new wardrobe till you stop losing no matter how tempting it's a waste of money) and I generally have more confidence. I think we don't even realise how much our weight dictates all of the tiny choices that we make for things throughout the day until it is gone.

One thing I can't stress enough is that we will all have our own journey through this thing, our bodies are unique and will react to the surgery in such a manner.

Thankfully forums like these allow us to share our experiences and provide info/support to one another but remember to never let anybody judge you or the choices you make as you go through this (this is much more a mental journey than physical) or feel that your journey/process through this experience is inferior to somebody else's because you have different methods to them or you lose weight at a different speed/pattern.

All in all I would do this entire year again in a heartbeat if I had to choose this surgery

Wow thank you for your very detailed post! Truly appreciate it as I am just starting this process.