Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

40+ what is age appropriate clothing to you?

24 minutes ago, frust8 said:

She has her finger in her mouth because her dentures are slipping, she needed to use more adhesive. Believe you me--I've been there!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

The video was kind of cool.

I was judged on appearance due to obesity. Now it's kind of being judged for age - ageism..lol I got to get it in my head that just because I'm older I got to just be me. I really don't care what society thinks. Not going to dress like a ho...But I don't have to be frumpy at 50.

And I don't have to look pathetic at 72 [emoji70]trying to dress in the wardrobe of a 20-30 year old.[emoji68] Smooth and tailored for dress-up, t-shirts[emoji155] and jeans[emoji158] for casual although in Ohio this time of year its usually sweats, I try to dress in pastels instead of generic gray if possible. I do get cold since my fat layer is dissipating.[emoji19]

3 hours ago, frust8 said:

And I don't have to look pathetic at 72 trying to dress in the wardrobe of a 20-30 year old. Smooth and tailored for dress-up, t-shirts and jeans for casual although in Ohio this time of year its usually sweats, I try to dress in pastels instead of generic gray if possible. I do get cold since my fat layer is dissipating.

I wish I was more confident when it came to my weight. Pre surgery, The majority of wardrobe consisted grey and black . Loving colors again. I also admit I would wear cardigans in the summer. (I want to slap my former self)...As if anyone would care if I dressed for the hot weather...

3 hours ago, jenn1 said:

The video was kind of cool.

I was judged on appearance due to obesity. Now it's kind of being judged for age - ageism..lol I got to get it in my head that just because I'm older I got to just be me. I really don't care what society thinks. Not going to dress like a ho...But I don't have to be frumpy at 50.

I can so relate to this hon!!! And loved your vids! :)

I think we do NOT have to dress our age. But I do think at any age, it's best to keep it classy. And no. Dressin' like a ho is only in my head. LOL. No tramp stamps for me either. :) Except my 3 "identity dots" (aka my radiation markers that they tat on you). LOL.

I think we can be smokin' hot at any age, if we're properly preserved and embalmed if necessary. ROFLMAO! BTW, don't try to self-embalm with vodka. It never ends well! :D

But I do believe it's really hard to overcome the negative image and thoughts that evolve from a lifelong struggle with obesity. I was teased, ridiculed, jeered at, embarrassed, humiliated...underestimated, underpaid, underappreciated...I could fill a book. But it's a very similar book for each of us here!

I think we deserve to push ourselves out beyond our comfort zones and test new things. And if you can't style yourself, then go hire an online stylist. My nieces works for Stitch Fit and styles for people. :) One day I'd love to be able to afford to do that! Then maybe we could begin to define our present styles to what we want it to be--ones that ARE age appropriate and classy and sophisticated and uniquely US. LOL, even if it's sweats or leggings and a turned up collar and cardigan! :)

On 3/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, frust8 said:

My friend's sister-in-law has the long gray hair, looks like dirty seaweed, not at all attractive. But like you said, she probably always wore her hair that way

Oh My, YES. The dirty seaweed look is a thing! And my pet peeve.

Let me be clear. You do not have to color your grey hair, empowered women do not need to do anything to look "younger". But you should try to look good at your current age, which NEVER includes growing long stringy for 40 years and never cutting it.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, jenn1 said:

Not going to dress like a ho...But I don't have to be frumpy at 50.

EXACTLY! I am 53 and only 10 weeks along in my journey, but so far my style has not changed. Jeans and tees are classic. Classic lines in slacks and cardigans for work. They work for me and after this many years, they've been a far better investment. I did buy a cold shoulder top last year and loved it. Classics with a few in-style pieces. But sometimes those might be on-trend costume jewelry or scarves over the more classic clothes. A couple years ago a friend's 20 year old daughter told her mom that she was impressed that I was "always put together" - obviously doesn't see me bumming around the house -- which was great. I try not to work at it too hard, hence the classics. But NOT frumpy if I can help it. That part is tougher right now as things are getting too big quickly

Anthropologie is where I window shop right now, love their stuff. White House Black Market, too (founded by one of my neighbors!!). I have plenty of clothes at my current weight, but in 15#s, I got nothin'!

Edited by Apple203

OMG. I have 1 pair of pants and 1 pair of leggings that still fit--and a crap ton of too big flannel pjs with a drawstring which are my work clothes. LOL. I'm ok on tops for now. But crap! And I went to the thrift stores, but dammit if I'm not one of the peeps who despite being 200lbs is still in size 20s, there is NOTHING in that size at thrift. I refuse to liquify myself and pour myself into size 16s just to have triple muffin top and an ass crack and be able to claim I'm wearing a size 16 and buying from Salvation Army.

So I may be house bound for awhile or learn to use Mr. F's mom's sewing machine! :( :wacko::57_cry:

7 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

...a crap ton of too big flannel pjs with a drawstring which are my work clothes. LOL.

:lol::lol: And yeah, well, 87 pounds -- that's bound to be a serious hurt on your wallet replacing clothes!!