Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

40+ what is age appropriate clothing to you?

9 hours ago, jenn1 said:

I am also a creature of comfort. Jeans t shirts and workout clothing are my staples of daily life. I love having times to dress up. It brings out my inner girly girl.

My group of ladies started a little black dress night. We bring clothing we no longer wear and donate it to the womens and childrens shelter.

I agree. I'm not a fan of style trends. Everyone looks like a cookie cutter. Same clothing ,hairstyles and handbags.

I will most likely enjoy dressing up once I get this weight off. Your ladies group sounds very cool.

There's definitely stuff I wouldn't wear now, and which I probably wouldn't wear even when I'm closer to goal. A lot of my clothing is dictated by corporate culture to an extent, but not the uniform type - I dress to match client expectations/culture a lot of the time, which can mean some days I'm wearing a conservative slacks and high-necked sweater, other days I can put all my ear piercings in and wear jeans and ankle boots.

More than anything, I think age-appropriate clothing for me is clothing that shows an understanding of what looks good on your body, an awareness of your audience, and an awareness of what you're projecting. For instance, tailoring seems to be key no matter what your size (which is of course difficult when you are never the same size from one week to the next), especially as you get older. I also did one of those hilarious color consultations a few years ago and now try to dress in the color palette that works for me, even if it means leaving on the rack some colors I aesthetically like. My clothing is part of my messaging to the client too; if they wanted someone organized and structured, that's what they get. If they're looking for a creative, what I wear can make them perceive my messaging more positively.

One thing I've gotten much, much more careful about is holdover clothing and necklines. I think sometimes I remember what I looked like in a sweater more from 2015 than what I'm looking at in the mirror today, which can be problematic. As you get older parts of you get less, uh, perky? And really paying attention to what parts of that sweater cling and gape in subsequent years, that's pretty key. Just because you got tons of compliments in 2015 doesn't mean the cut of that sweater looks good on you years later.

I stay away from most full-blown trends and fast-fashion stuff, overall I think that's best left to the 20-somethings. It might look fine on me, but it visually codes me alongside a bunch of 20-somethings and then I'm the odd one out.

Oh, I like this one. . . . . I'll start. Full disclosure I am 36.
No matter what age: You can't wear your daughters clothes. Rue 21, it's in the title, if you aren't in your 20s, don't go in. Mini skirts also belong to people in their 20s.
Sweatpants should not have words on the butt. EVER.
We are all different. There are plenty of ways to dress beautifully at any age. It's about being comfortable and expressing who you are without going too far. For references on TOO FAR see www.peopleofwalmart.com

I’m with you on the words on the butt and mini skirts (my thighs are the one part Plastics didn’t fix anyhow).

But I find some great stuff in Forever 21 and I trade clothes with my 19 year old daughter on a regular basis. I mean she def has some stuff I won’t wear like bodycon dresses and crop tops but we have more overlap than not.

I like to copy 'the idea of the trend' but without looking like a circus clown (except my square dance costumes where I can wear whatever outrageous colored petticoats I want). I have seen too many women wearing short shorts/skirts that should not, and too many older women hiding grey hair with their 20yr old hair color that now looks so harsh, and if you have always had short hair that's fine, but 'shingling' the back of your hair just says 'hey I'm f*****g old and don't give a crap' and is usually unattractive. Also the opposite long-ass grey hair that has no real haircut also says 'I don't care I have had my hair like this since I was 16 dammit.'

When i am back from vacation I will post a couple outfits. Ladies I think we should post pictures - even if we are not at goal - whaddya think?

I like to copy 'the idea of the trend' but without looking like a circus clown (except my square dance costumes where I can wear whatever outrageous colored petticoats I want). I have seen too many women wearing short shorts/skirts that should not, and too many older women hiding grey hair with their 20yr old hair color that now looks so harsh, and if you have always had short hair that's fine, but 'shingling' the back of your hair just says 'hey I'm f*****g old and don't give a crap' and is usually unattractive. Also the opposite long-ass grey hair that has no real haircut also says 'I don't care I have had my hair like this since I was 16 dammit.'
When i am back from vacation I will post a couple outfits. Ladies I think we should post pictures - even if we are not at goal - whaddya think?

Wow! Happy to post pix but “should not?” I think everyone should wear what makes them comfortable and happy! No matter their shape or age!

Istopped keeping up the last trends after I graduated high school, LOL! I'm 62 and these days I dress for comfort more than looks while still being presentable. I see some folks in my age bracket wearing clothing that I think is far more appropriate for 20's-30's, but if they're happy, that's what important. Older guys in Speedos?? Nah.

• What clothing is age appropriate to you? A: Whatever the hell I want.
  • Do you care if things are age appropriate on you or other people? A: Nope. Couldn't give a shite.
  • Have you ever been called a cougar, puma or jaguar? To the guys Manther? A: Yep:)
  • Is there an age appropriate line for guy's...Turn in the speedo and shorty shorts after 40? A: Speedos look just as horrific on young men as old men. At least with old men, there's a comedy factor:)

More than anything, I think age-appropriate clothing for me is clothing that shows an understanding of what looks good on your body, an awareness of your audience, and an awareness of what you're projecting.

This advice is spot on, no matter what your age, gender, or weight is. Nicely said.

I love fashion and being fashion forward and plan to be no matter how old I get. I also have several different types of styles depending on how I am feeling, where I am going and what I will be doing. You can see me in leggings, Ugg’s and a long sleeve off the shoulder shirt and the next day see me in fitted trousers with a crisp white shirt and blazer or maybe skinny leather paneled jeans with a low back black shirt, thigh high suede boots and big clunky jewelry. My point is I like to wear what makes me feel good and I take what is on trend and make it my own and then OWN IT.
Has my style evolved and changed in my 37 years, absolutely but I won’t let my age hold me back from being my confident self and feeling good [emoji6]

I've worn a uniform to work for the past twenty years, I think that has kept my wardrobe down a bit. Always been jeans/capris and t-shirt for everyday, and jeans with a nicer shirt for dress up.

I do like the cold shoulder trend, I think it looks nice on those of us over 40. I used to like V necks but my chest is starting to look a little crepey, my shoulders still look alright.

Survey Says:

Show me: I'ma dress like a ho at 135lbs!!!!!!

bahahahahaha.

(No. Seriously. I'm pretty sure I'ma have at least one slutty outfit and a couple of mini skirts. Then I'm going to not go anywhere without my duck lips with the alternating pout and CFMH. (Oh, and that's JUST to the gym! Wait till I go out somewhere fancy pants!) :) I'm going to drive Mr. F. crazy lol - either from hysteria, fear, or anticipation. I'm not quite sure which one it's gonna be. Resistance is futile. :D

Edited by FluffyChix

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Survey Says:

Show me: I'ma dress like a ho at 135lbs!!!!!!

bahahahahaha.

(No. Seriously. I'm pretty sure I'ma have at least one slutty outfit and a couple of mini skirts. Then I'm going to not go anywhere without my duck lips with the alternating pout and CFMH. (Oh, and that's JUST to the gym! Wait till I go out somewhere fancy pants!) :) I'm going to drive Mr. F. crazy lol - either from hysteria, fear, or anticipation. I'm not quite sure which one it's gonna be. Resistance is futile. :D

@FluffyChix this will be you - click link below

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-43569722/the-83-year-old-lingerie-model-with-a-powerful-message-about-ageing