Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are my neighbor's kids not wearing helmets...

...when they are on their bikes and scooters. Its driving me nuts!! These kids are little! I had to vet this somewhere, now I feel better!:D

I should, LOL. Dad's a professor at local college and wife is homeschooling all five kids. They look good on paper, but one of their kids is gonna get hurt.

Well you know, it's all fun and games until someone splits open a forehead or gets concussion!

22 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

wife is homeschooling all five kids.

That sounds like a red flag for child abuse to me. Perhaps they are up to the section on "natural selection" in their studies and this is just practical exercise.

I survived an entire childhood riding a bike without a helmet. Hell, I'd be up and out the door in the early morning and only come back for Kool-Aid until dark. Maybe they are trying to raise children that aren't complete pansies?

As for homeschooling, it is a growing trend, and for good reason. And I am not talking about what passes as "bullying" in the school system. Testing results are consistently higher for home schooled children. Learn at the pace most natural to the child, take tests when you are feeling physically optimal and mentally focused.

The only thing I don't like about homeschooling is the social interaction that is missing. I don't mean seeing friends, or participating in extracurricular activities; they actually have sports and clubs usually with the other home schooled kids. But learning to work with groups of people whom you may not like or find difficult to work with. You know, real world adult situations. Many of these kids will be ill prepared to deal in those situations.

I survived an entire childhood riding a bike without a helmet. Hell, I'd be up and out the door in the early morning and only come back for Kool-Aid until dark. Maybe they are trying to raise children that aren't complete pansies?
As for homeschooling, it is a growing trend, and for good reason. And I am not talking about what passes as "bullying" in the school system. Testing results are consistently higher for home schooled children. Learn at the pace most natural to the child, take tests when you are feeling physically optimal and mentally focused.
The only thing I don't like about homeschooling is the social interaction that is missing. I don't mean seeing friends, or participating in extracurricular activities; they actually have sports and clubs usually with the other home schooled kids. But learning to work with groups of people whom you may not like or find difficult to work with. You know, real world adult situations. Many of these kids will be ill prepared to deal in those situations.

When I was 8 or so I saw someone fall off their bike and they died! Right in front of me!

So homeschool is hit or miss. I did an entire research study on it. One of the problems is the parents that are willing to participate in tests just so happen to be the parents that are educating beyond what is required. There are other HS kids that are extremely far behind as well. Like...illiterate at graduation. Most are completely oblivious about sexual health and sciences.

I'd love to HS but most of the groups here are Christian. We're very atheist so that poses a problem [emoji17]

SW: 366
CW: 315
GW1: 200
RNY Dec 18, 2017!

While I agree that wearing safety equipment is a good idea, I don't think it should be mandated. I wear all the safety gear when riding my motorcycle, but I don't care if a Harley pirate wants to wear just jeans, vests, and bandannas. That's pretty much the definition of freedom. Free to make choices and mistakes that you have to endure the consequences.

The examples you give of home schooled kids on both ends of the spectrum are just as prevalent in public schools, if not worse. I went to school with very talented football players who could barely read. Many times the athletic heads would make sure they passed. Other times, there were just some people no one cared about. Teachers can be just as judgmental and jaded as any of us after years of dealing with bureaucracy. Part of the reason I quit going for my teaching degree.

As for the atheist thing, I always kinda thought that was a Boolean thing. One either is or is not atheist. So I guess you could say you are a devout atheist!

If it bothers you that much, you should go talk to the parents. Venting is one thing...if you're really that concerned then communicate directly in a helpful, positive, constructive way.

VSG 10/11/17
HW = 360
SW = 292
GW = 220 3/7/18
CW = 216.6 (6'5") [emoji256]

1 hour ago, Real California April said:

When I was 8 or so I saw someone fall off their bike and they died! Right in front of me!

So homeschool is hit or miss. I did an entire research study on it. One of the problems is the parents that are willing to participate in tests just so happen to be the parents that are educating beyond what is required. There are other HS kids that are extremely far behind as well. Like...illiterate at graduation. Most are completely oblivious about sexual health and sciences.

I'd love to HS but most of the groups here are Christian. We're very atheist so that poses a problem emoji17.png

SW: 366
CW: 315
GW1: 200
RNY Dec 18, 2017!

21 hours ago, Apple203 said:

...when they are on their bikes and scooters. Its driving me nuts!! These kids are little! I had to vet this somewhere, now I feel better!:D

I hope this rant is sarcasm. Or are you serious? Lack Helmets and homeschooling....Oh my.

I'm glad people show concern for children, I've worked with criminals and victims of crime for years. I've seen far worse things done to children than being home schooled and fall off a bike. Any signs or evidence of actual physical abuse, neglect, sexual abuse or trafficking to turn into CPS?

I agree with @BigViffer on this. I grew up in the age of no seat belts, riding in the back of trucks, dodgeball, no helmets, knee pads or elbow guards when riding a bike.

I'm not a delicate little flower. I'm a survivor! lol

Meh, I have no problem with homeschooling. But the helmet thing really does make me nuts, and it is required in blue-blue-blue Maryland. And, my street is fairly steep and ends in a 4-way stop. But no one has been killed (except my first dog :-((), so there is that.

Yes, we drove around without seatbelts when we were kids, but people died a lot more from car accidents.

And riding in back of trucks? When I was in HS, we lost 6 or more kids to one accident. This was early 80s, before it be came illegal.

Edited by Apple203

10 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

Meh, I have no problem with homeschooling. But the helmet thing really does make me nuts, and it is required in blue-blue-blue Maryland. And, my street is fairly steep and ends in a 4-way stop. But no one has been killed (except my first dog :-((), so there is that.

Yes, we drove around without seatbelts when we were kids, but people died a lot more from car accidents.

And riding in back of trucks? When I was in HS, we lost 6 or more kids to one accident. This was early 80s, before it be came illegal.

Glad you are concerned. Talk with the parents. Report to CPS or law enforcement if you have concerns for their safety.

I have no plans to report anything to anyone, or even talking to them 'cause they surely know the rules already). I was just venting! :)

Edited by Apple203

I get your rant. We do have laws and practices to prevent harm/death. I am an overprotective grandma. I cringe on seeing kids 12 and under walking my greenbelt/city trail unsupervised. This trail is not safe for adults to walk alone.

1 hour ago, jenn1 said:

I agree with @BigViffer on this. I grew up in the age of no seat belts, riding in the back of trucks, dodgeball, no helmets, knee pads or elbow guards when riding a bike.

Roman candle fights, BB gun fights, cherry bombs and firecrackers, jumping out of the hayloft into snow drifts, riding on a sled being towed by a truck... maybe that is why I never grew up to eat Tide Pods! I learned about my mortality during the formative years!