Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honeymoon Period

I keep reading about the "honeymoon period" and my program alluded to it being easier to lose weight early on due to the maximum restriction and potential lack of hunger. I'm curious though how long is the honeymoon period? For folks who have been out a little longer did you have a honeymoon period and if so how long did it last?

Just wondering what to expect. I'm pushing myself very hard to keep losing and have been doing decently, though hunger is increasing somewhat and I feel like weight loss is starting to decrease a little bit (but is still good).

I don't have any answers for you, but I thought this was interesting and so will share.

I spoke with a research bariatrician recently cuz they wanted me to join a study about bone density loss and WLS. I asked her about the optimal food intake during the first 6 months.

She said, what they've seen historically is that the first 2 months when the cals and nutritional intake are the lowest, provide a huge weight loss advantage--the biggest losses they see are in Month1 and Month2. She said, after that it tapers off and they don't know fully if that's because more food/food variety/calories etc are also being added, or if it's the effect of metabolism.

She said the honeymoon period is ideally about 6 months for most patients, but that weight loss will continue to be very much easier from surgery date to as far out as 1 year to 18months. Then she said, that it didn't mean you can't still lose, it's that weight loss becomes much harder and more like a non-WLS patient where it's mostly a result of diet rather than surgical intervention.

I have no idea in real life if ANY of that is true! LOL. But I thought I'd share someone who is in the trenches actively researching these things. :)

The honeymoon period is the period of time that weight loss and maintenance is the easiest. It will be unique to the individual and how well they follow a typical bariatric friendly diet. For me, it lasted from Feb 2015 until June 2016. That is when I surpassed goal and then bounced back up a little bit. I have maintained a stable weight since, but I am probably more strict with my diet and physically active than most.

You'll know when you are in the honeymoon phase when your calorie intake week over week is lower than what is needed to maintain your body weight. Once you start consistently hitting a calorie goal that is equal to your BMR (basal metabolic rate) your weightloss will stop. If you start exceeding that rate, you will slowly start gaining until the calories and established weight reach equilibrium. If you are eating more than your BMR plus active metabolic needs, you start gaining weight. This is why tracking food is important for some (like me).

4 hours ago, Losebig said:

I keep reading about the "honeymoon period" and my program alluded to it being easier to lose weight early on due to the maximum restriction and potential lack of hunger. I'm curious though how long is the honeymoon period? For folks who have been out a little longer did you have a honeymoon period and if so how long did it last?

Just wondering what to expect. I'm pushing myself very hard to keep losing and have been doing decently, though hunger is increasing somewhat and I feel like weight loss is starting to decrease a little bit (but is still good).

The no hunger part last 5 weeks for me. The greatest weight loss was during the first 8 weeks. I have lost 8-10 pounds per month every month from 8 weeks on so far (knocks on wood)

Thanks! All very helpful. I'm coming up on 3.5 months out so probably still in that period, albeit with less extreme loss than the first couple of months. It's definitely easier to maintain 1,000 calories a day now than it was with just dieting alone before surgery

I’m 11 months post op, I’m losing 1-5 pounds a week steadily. I’m not trying. I just follow the healthy foods and foods high in Protein. I eat 2-3 oz. I’m losing more now than I did early on.

From what I’ve read the honeymoon period happens differently for different folks but is within the first year of dieting. Though, I’ve heard of some three years out where nothing has changed, they lost steadily the entire way there, and continue to keep it off without trying.

The last twenty pounds for me will be all on my own, so my doc tells me. I’m prepared. And, I think the honeymoon period is going to vary from person to person and be largely dependent on how closely one follows the diet and works out.