Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello again & what might I need to know?

Hello everyone :)

Long story short, I’m scheduled for surgery in a little over 3 weeks and I’m terrified!

I had a band way back in 2007 which I did OK with, if you call throwing up almost daily in order to lose weight OK! The early months were great, I didn’t feel hungry, I coped really well with all the liquid stages every time the band was tightened and aside from the port discomfort which seems pretty constant, it worked how I expected it to. My issues came when I tried to eat solid food. I think the big downfall for me with the band was the pure unpredictability of how your stomach will react on any given day. Hormone fluctuations and stress and because it’s a day with an S in it, all made for a pretty difficult to gauge what I could or couldn’t eat. I ended up fully emptied for the last few years and still once experience a blockage which had me unable to swallow anything for days (and that is really scary!), not using it as a tool anymore, living on slider foods, drinking with food in order to avoid the pain and ultimately gaining back weight. In short, I was miserable. I had it taken out 4 years ago and I have now regained every sodding pound I lost before. Gah!

I had spent a year or so convinced the sleeve would be right for me, kicking myself for not having gone that way in the first place. I convinced myself that that would have been like the band but with less of that nasty, sore blockage. It would be the tiny tummy I think I need to have in order to be the skinny minx I am in my head. So I headed off to the big smoke to see the big man to talk about the sleeve and was slightly miffed when he told me I was wrong. He said the pouch they’d have to potentially give me would be too big because of potential scar tissue from the band. “But it’s been out for 4 years!” I protested, but he continued with all the reasons MGB was a better idea and he convinced me he is right. So, after a brief rethink on everything and some gathering of funds, I’m booked. And terrified. Did I mention I was terrified?!

I’m finding chat about living with the MGB a bit short on the ground. I think I have read everything I can find! What I’d like to know for you lovely lot, what do you know now you wished you’d known before? What is the reality of living with the MGB? What can you eat and what can you absolutely never in a million years even consider eating? I have millions of unanswered questions so please forgive my constant chatter. I’ll try not to be too irritating ;)

Was really an easy process for me ... recovery was a breeze other than getting in Water (and the gas pain for two days after surgery).

I can’t even consider eating breads and high sugar / fat but otherwise eating has been really great

All the best ! It’ll be awesome and just fine

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 184
5’6”

Thank you BostonWLKC :)

I will take all the reasurance i can get! I do think having had one experience and things not working out how you thought they would makes for a very nervous second time round.

I’m still reading everything I can get my hands on. I wish there was more chat from MGBers. I guess people are out there getting on with life which is a good sign.

On 25/03/2018 at 11:29 PM, Finding My Feet said:

Hello everyone :)

Long story short, I’m scheduled for surgery in a little over 3 weeks and I’m terrified!

I had a band way back in 2007 which I did OK with, if you call throwing up almost daily in order to lose weight OK! The early months were great, I didn’t feel hungry, I coped really well with all the liquid stages every time the band was tightened and aside from the port discomfort which seems pretty constant, it worked how I expected it to. My issues came when I tried to eat solid food. I think the big downfall for me with the band was the pure unpredictability of how your stomach will react on any given day. Hormone fluctuations and stress and because it’s a day with an S in it, all made for a pretty difficult to gauge what I could or couldn’t eat. I ended up fully emptied for the last few years and still once experience a blockage which had me unable to swallow anything for days (and that is really scary!), not using it as a tool anymore, living on slider foods, drinking with food in order to avoid the pain and ultimately gaining back weight. In short, I was miserable. I had it taken out 4 years ago and I have now regained every sodding pound I lost before. Gah!

I had spent a year or so convinced the sleeve would be right for me, kicking myself for not having gone that way in the first place. I convinced myself that that would have been like the band but with less of that nasty, sore blockage. It would be the tiny tummy I think I need to have in order to be the skinny minx I am in my head. So I headed off to the big smoke to see the big man to talk about the sleeve and was slightly miffed when he told me I was wrong. He said the pouch they’d have to potentially give me would be too big because of potential scar tissue from the band. “But it’s been out for 4 years!” I protested, but he continued with all the reasons MGB was a better idea and he convinced me he is right. So, after a brief rethink on everything and some gathering of funds, I’m booked. And terrified. Did I mention I was terrified?!

I’m finding chat about living with the MGB a bit short on the ground. I think I have read everything I can find! What I’d like to know for you lovely lot, what do you know now you wished you’d known before? What is the reality of living with the MGB? What can you eat and what can you absolutely never in a million years even consider eating? I have millions of unanswered questions so please forgive my constant chatter. I’ll try not to be too irritating ;)

Hello, I was wondering how you are & if your able to answer you own questions now?

TIA

Hi Aussie Liz!

I’m really good thanks. Surgery went well. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of pain tbh. I’m day 9 now so still early days but already this “feels” better than the band did. Not having a dead stop when I swallow is good but will take some getting used to.

I’m properly excited for the future now. That’s a feeling I can get easily used to :)

Are you planning an MGB then?

On 27/04/2018 at 10:53 PM, Finding My Feet said:

Hi Aussie Liz!

I’m really good thanks. Surgery went well. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of pain tbh. I’m day 9 now so still early days but already this “feels” better than the band did. Not having a dead stop when I swallow is good but will take some getting used to.

I’m properly excited for the future now. That’s a feeling I can get easily used to :)

Are you planning an MGB then?

I'm still waiting in an answer as to what the surgeon thinks. So I will take on his information first before I make a decision. Thanks for your reply

Good Luck Aussie Liz, whatever surgery may come!😝

16 hours ago, Aussie Liz said:

I'm still waiting in an answer as to what the surgeon thinks. So I will take on his information first before I make a decision. Thanks for your reply

Good luck with your journey Aussie Liz, I think the decision making part is the hardest bit xx

Hi there,

I also have a failed band. Am deciding which surgery... between mini bypass and rny. How did you choose and why? How are you doing anyway?

Hi Lessismore,

RNY was never even a consideration for me tbh as my surgeon prefers the MGB. Once I started researching it (see first post for my disappointment that sleeve wasn’t recommended!) I totally understood what the surgeon had said about the single reconnection. Post surgery, I am aware that I have a larger pouch as predicted by the surgeon, because of scar tissue, because I can eat more than you’d expect with the sleeve. So really my choice was between the sleeve and the MGB. But I am losing really well and really, really pleased I made this decision.

I’m keeping a diary which I will stick on here shortly as I think a lot of us get on so well we don’t frequent the site that often. I really needed to read more but couldn’t find it. It’ll probably be the end of the week before I get a chance to post it all though.

FMF xx

Edited by Finding My Feet

On 6/14/2018 at 6:46 AM, lessismore1001 said:

Hi there,

I also have a failed band. Am deciding which surgery... between mini bypass and rny. How did you choose and why? How are you doing anyway?

Just be aware that the MGB has a risk of bile reflux, whereas the RNY does not. So make sure to discuss this with your surgeon.

FYI: I had the MGB and am below goal weight (yeah, success), but I am suffering from bile reflux so will be revising to RNY this summer.

Yes, If I miss a dose of Omeprazole I know about it. This is the one downside for me. MarinaGirl, with RNY, do you need to take PPIs every day?

Edited by Finding My Feet

A history of GERD/acid reflux is a definitely a contradiction for VSG.

Many people post-RNY are able to go off PPIs, which is a very good thing.

Not sure if you’re aware that PPIs are not a great long term solution as they may lead to negative consequences, such as increased risk of fractures, osteoporosis, and dementia.

Edited by MarinaGirl

I had no idea that PPIs had such side effects! Wow...this would affect so many bariatric patients!

PPIs for short term use are fine but people who take them for 1+ years are at increased risk for some serious issues as I mentioned above, plus kidney disease, heart attack, infections, and Vitamin deficiencies. They weren’t developed/approved for long term use. According to the drug label, Nexium is recommended for no longer than eight weeks for acid reflux issues and six months for ulcer healing purposes. But not treating acid reflux puts you at increased risk for esophageal cancer, which does not typically have high survival rates. Therefore GERD/reflux is something that people must not ignore and should work closely with the right medical team to monitor and treat.

Edited by MarinaGirl